1. About those ESPN rankings...
ESPN took a stab at ranking the top 50 players in college football this season. It’s important to note that this is just one outlet’s opinion, even though it doesn’t give much information on what went into determining where a player ranked (the reporters involved are listed at the bottom of the list). And, sure, it’s important to remember that ESPN even says it’s based on 2018 alone, not for what a player has done before...
BUT THAT BEING SAID, how the heck are you going to rank Drew Lock as the fifth-best quarterback in the SEC, all the way down at No. 35 overall?
These are the SEC quarterbacks ahead of Lock:
- Jarrett Stidham, 10th
- Tua Tagovailoa, 11th
- Nick Fitzgerald, 16th
- Jake Fromm, 30th
I mean, come on. First off, the article says prior years didn’t go into organizing this list, but then every player listed has notes about their prior years.
I’m not a crazy Drew Lock fan. There are certainly shortcomings in his game; the transition to Derek Dooley at offensive coordinator should give anyone pause. But saying all those players are better quarterbacks than Lock, in his own conference, is a bit ridiculous.
So feel free to vent in the comments below.
Let’s move on.
2. Missouri basketball finalizes its non-conference game for 2018-2019...
CENTRAL ARKANSAS, come on down! You’re first up!
3. Letters from Camp!
No open practice for the media on Monday (or Tuesday, for that matter) but here’s the position-by-position breakdown of content over the last 24 hours.
Derek Dooley knows he has doubters; here’s why the Tigers believe in him, via the Kansas City Star
Lindsey Scott Jr. more mature, humble after roundabout journey to Missouri, via PowerMizzou.com
Crockett, Rountree spearhead Tigers’ under-the-radar running attack, via Brendan Lavell of the Columbia Missourian
MU returns wealth of experience on the offensive line, via Ryan Herrera (hey, we know him!) of the Columbia Daily Tribune
Mizzou pass rusher Tre Williams no longer has to sneak on the field during games, via Dave Matter of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch
Aubrey Miller continues to lead as a backup, via Dave Matter of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch
4. EJ Liddell close to announcing a top five
Top 5 coming soon...— EJ Liddell (@EasyE2432) August 6, 2018
BUT HOW SOON, EJ!?!
Yesterday at Rock M
- Mizzou’s offensive line got NO RESPECT in the preseason voting, but the Tigers group of talented linemen is playing for much more
- Are the days of the super-fast uptempo offense numbered? Ralph Russo of the AP takes a look. And, this should hit home for Missouri fans — while Derek Dooley isn’t going pro-style in 2018, the offense should certainly slow down a bit.
- The Kansas City Star breaks down Missouri’s 2018-2019 basketball schedule, which was finalized on Monday.
- AL.com takes a look at Drew Lock and Jarrett Stidham’’s relationship as friends and competitors.