1. Drew Lock: Touchdown king, Content GOD.
There’s no shortage of Drew Lock-related content (Locktent? I’ll circle back here) this week. Missouri’s 3-0, Lock has looked pretty dang good and the Tigers now host No. 2 Georgia in the Bulldogs most intriguing early-season matchup (in hindsight of the South Carolina game).
So, yeah, a lot of Locktent.
First off, Chase Goodbread of NFL.com goes deep on Lock, focusing mainly on Lock overcoming being damn near broken as a freshman to develop into a potential top pick in the 2019 NFL Draft. A big portion focuses on Lock’s experience with the football boycott in 2015.
Lock tells Goodbread:
“I got my ass kicked all year, this thing on campus happened, coach Pinkel leaving -- it was a freshman year to remember,” he said.
There’s not a ton of new ground here — we’ve seen the “Drew Lock overcomes his freshman year struggles” feature a few times already — but it’s very much worth a read.
Meanwhile, SI.com dropped a look at how Drew Lock’s draft stock is rising after the first three games of the year. The author, Kalyn Kohler, talks about the key second-and-10 pass to Tyler Badie during the game-winning drive against Purdue as a key example of why Lock’s stock is rising.
This was the key play in the drive that set up Missouri’s game-winning field goal to beat Purdue on Saturday, and scouts took note of Lock’s poise as he kept his eyes downfield in a pressure-packed moment when the game was on the line. That play is a microcosm of what Lock needs to show in his senior year: better pocket presence and the ability to quickly move through his progressions.
There’s no doubting that Lock seems much more comfortable going through his progressions this year (although I do feel like that term is overblown and, without knowledge of what the play call is, tough to even gauge). It certainly helps that Lock hasn’t faced much pressure through three games.
The Georgia game will go a long way in determining whether Lock’s stock keeps rising, and if he stays in the Heisman race.
2. Preppin’ for Georgia
We’ve got some steel in the south endzone, folks.
Also, in addition to football recruits, we’ve got at least one big-time visitor for Saturday:
Going to the Zou this weekend! I feel something. #miz— Sean Weatherspoon (@SeanWSpoon56) September 20, 2018
(I feel something too, Spoon. Wait. That didn’t sound right.)
- Ben Frederickson writes that Missouri can still prove something on Saturday, even if an upset is unlikely (via STLtoday.com),
- Cameron Teague-Robinson previews how Missouri is bracing for Georgia’s run game (via ColumbiaTribune.com).
- Larry Rountree doesn’t mind sharing the spotlight, writes Mitchell Forde (via PowerMizzou.com)
3. The SEC basketball TV schedule is set.
And if you want to see the Missouri-specific schedule, check it out here.
Yesterday at Rock M
- Bowl projections! Latest one by SI.com has Missouri squaring off against Texas Tech in the Liberty Bowl and, boy, that would be just a ton of fun.
- Missouri volleyball beat No. 25 Alabama in the SEC opener on Wednesday night.
- Well this stinks. Barnett had a solid summer with Milwaukee:
Missed this earlier, but the Milwaukee Bucks waived former Missouri player, undrafted rookie Jordan Barnett.— Dave Matter (@Dave_Matter) September 19, 2018
- This is me as I hit send on every tweet: