The 2019 class is off and running
On yesterday’s links post, we looked at some tea leaves leading up to Mario McKinney’s scheduled commitment to his school of choice. All of them pointed to the Tigers. And perhaps while the most zany fan could have concocted a scenario where McKinney was planning an elaborate last-second announcement to Kansas State or Louisville, reliable ole Occam’s Razor won out.
AV, Stank, Sauce.. This for you.— Mario McKinney Jr./ HoodieRio.. (@Boog341) September 24, 2018
❗❗ C O M M I T T E D❗❗ pic.twitter.com/7B9jccqco4
McKinney’s nearly two minute video is worth the watch — not just for aesthetic purposes — as it slowly builds up to the climactic 15 seconds, with Mario looking down upon a picture of his cousin Jimmy in his No. 1 Mizzou uniform.
McKinney’s commitment has been an awaited occurrence for Cuonzo Martin and Tiger fans everywhere, and it seems like the players were pretty excited to get him on board.
Where Jimmy McKinney’s game was fluid, controlled and polished, there’s bravado and physicality to Mario McKinney’s style. If Jimmy McKinney would finish a break by softly laying the ball off the glass, McKinney the Younger might be inclined to cock his hand back and finish with a flourish.
Welcome, Mario. It’s good to know you’re the newest member of the #Lou2TheZou movement.
Now about Liddell...
Of course, McKinney wasn’t the only target out of the St. Louis area for Mizzou. In fact, the other — combo forward EJ Liddell — was keeping a close eye on McKinney’s commitment, even complaining about the delay.
We know from past comments that the two are close friends and have considered playing together in college. And while those types of talks don’t usually play out exactly like they’re pitched, it sounds like Mario is going to give it his best effort.
“I think he’s definitely going to make a pitch,” [Corey] Frazier [McKinney’s AAU coach] said. “Why not have someone you consider a brother come with you?”
We still have to wait to hear Liddell’s final decision, but having a few good friends on the roster — Liddell also knows Mark Smith well — shouldn’t hurt.
Yesterday at Rock M
- Missouri-Georgia snap counts: Blitzes of Varying Efficacy
- Mizzou came up short on Saturday, but was it all bad? (Zoukeepers)
- Re-ranking the Tigers’ remaining games in order of difficulty
- Stat Breakdown: Crockett and Co. did not succumb to the Bulldogs’ run defense
- BenFred at the St. Louis Post Dispatch wrote a column on why Mizzou isn’t the second best team in the SEC East. You probably wouldn’t find a majority of Tiger fans feeling that way after Saturday, especially with Kentucky’s hot start. Dave Matter also took a look at several of the controversial calls from Saturday’s game.
- PowerMizzou subscribers can see plenty of content over at the site, including Gabe’s Monday Morning Thoughts and a Q&A he did as well.
- A water main broke this weekend at the Hearnes Center, and it’s going to cost the university a lot of scratch to fix it
- Finally, it’s Tuesday, so here’s a little headline schadenfreude for you: Nebraska Cornhuskers fans hope this really is the bottom