1. CBS Sports is offering a season-long behind-the-scenes series on Drew Lock.
Season-long is underselling it. CBS Sports reporter Dennis Dodd will get behind-the-scenes access to Missouri’s quarterback through the NFL Draft.
The first article in the series ran Monday.
The most interesting part, for me anyway? Maybe Lock wasn’t entirely sure of his decision to forego the draft and return this year. From Dodd’s article:
As the draft drew near, he couldn’t ignore an instinct that he should have been there getting called on stage in Arlington, Texas.
”I didn’t want to watch it because that finally could have been me,” Lock said. “Before, it couldn’t have been me. I had no choice but to not be there. [But] it’s finally at the point where these are guys I’ve grown up playing with, and I think I’m just as good.”
He added: “I was arrogant. I was a little selfish about it. I was a little upset about it.”
I don’t think it should come as any surprise that Lock struggled with the decision even after it was made, but this is Lock in an honest moment.
Looking forward to the rest of this series.
On a related note, Missouri’s Heisman push for Lock continues with a #H3ISMAN landing page. And, as a reminder, I’m tracking Lock’s Heisman candidacy throughout the season, as well.
2. Putting the bow on Missouri’s 51-14 win over UT-Martin.
Tuesday is Missouri’s media day, so at that point, it’s officially Wyoming Week. But here’s the straggling content from Missouri’s season-opening win.
Mini Movie #MIZ #ShowMe pic.twitter.com/1xKCCmzYZP— Mizzou Football (@MizzouFootball) September 3, 2018
- Dave Matter has some insightful takeaways on Derek Dooley’s offense and the defense from the game on Saturday (via STLToday.com).
This is probably the most pertinent observation, especially for me as I was more concerned about the run game than most after that game:
Once MU got out to a big lead, Odom called for runs on the run-pass option plays that otherwise would have been passes based on the defensive alignment.
That would certainly explain the less-than-explosive running numbers on Saturday.
- I don’t think this really adds anything to the narrative that Emanuel Hall is really, really good, but a nice graphic, nonetheless:
Emanuel Hall's deep-pass prowess was on full display this weekend pic.twitter.com/O2BnN5sZCu— PFF College (@PFF_College) September 3, 2018
3. Another reason to look forward to this weekend...
A certain uncommitted 5-star basketball player will be taking an official visit to Mizzou.
MIZZOU NATION YALL READY? pic.twitter.com/q5WQlTKMXU— #H3ISMAN (@mizzoufan_346) September 3, 2018
Yesterday at Rock M
- The SEC announced its Week 1 players of the week. No Missouri names here, but not really a surprise.
- Hello Darkness my old friend...
September 4, 2018
- Braylon Edwards had some choice words for his alma mater , Michigan. Oh, yeah, he’s also employed by the Big Ten Network — but maybe not for long.