1. Missouri landed a commitment from Arvell Ferguson, ANOTHER St. Louis pick-up for the 2019 class.
Kirkwood (Mo.) defensive end Arvell Ferguson committed to Missouri on Thursday in one of the most heart-felt commitment videos you’ll see. He becomes Missouri’s third St. Louis-area commitment in this class, joining offensive lineman Jack Buford and receiver Maurice Massey — also his Kirkwood teammate.
It’s the most St. Louis commitments for Missouri since 2016, the first recruiting class under Barry Odom (although he wasn’t the coach for the entire recruiting cycle). That year also saw three players out of St. Louis sign with Missouri.
Between then and now, Missouri signed two players from St. Louis, and both were JUCO players who were re-signing with Missouri (Antar Thompson, Harry Ballard).
Missouri has certainly missed out on some big-time talent out of St. Louis, especially in the 2018 class. But this is a very positive development and shows that Odom is finding his stride in leading the staff on the recruiting trail. One city is certainly not a make-or-break for Missouri’s success on the field, but the Tigers are quietly pulling some nice players.
And, there’s still even more talent left on the board. Considering the state’s top player, Isaiah Williams, is committed to Illinois, it’s a long way to National Signing Day.
2. Your Week 2 Mizzou football hype video has dropped.
Another slow-burn, like last week.
Play. Your. Best.— Mizzou Football (@MizzouFootball) September 6, 2018
Tigers on 3️⃣. Win on 6️⃣. pic.twitter.com/ONdR7bzPhL
3. Braggin’ Rights has a tip time.
Unfortunately, the game is on the Big Ten Network, but you’ve got a few months to figure out which channel it is on your cable provider (i.e., find someone else’s log-in to watch the game online).
4. Sophie Cunningham gets the star treatment from the Post-Dispatch.
Fantastic lede by Ben Hochman in his profile of Mizzou baller Sophie Cunningham.
COLUMBIA, Mo. • Do you stand when a mayor walks in the room?
Is that a formal procedure? I didn’t know, but to be safe, I stood as she came into the room and reached out my hand to greet The Honorable Sophie Cunningham of Columbia, Mo.
Nothing but love for my mayor of Columbia.
Yesterday at Rock M
- Pray for no monsoon, because Missouri’s offense should be able to take advantage of Wyoming’s corners.
- The new redshirt rule means it’s a freshman bonanza for Missouri.
- EJ Liddell and Mario McKinney head to Missouri on Saturday
- I did a Q&A with Mountain West Wire about the Missouri-Wyoming game. Check out my thoughts and prediction here.
- Dave Matter has a good look at Craig Bohl, Wyoming’s head coach who has a deep and rich history of beating Missouri. (via STLToday.com)
- Safety Kahlil Oliver finds new home with Mizzou (and hopefully stays healthy this weekend!) — via MUTigers.com.
- In case you didn’t see, Missouri State played on Thursday. At 11 a.m. Official attendance? 1,284.