Cale Garrett had successful surgery on his pectoral tendon Tuesday morning, and the senior linebacker is all but expected to be out for the rest of the season.
Is it the end of his career at Missouri, though? We don’t know that for sure yet. It’s certainly a complicated situation, but perhaps applying for a medical redshirt next season isn’t out of the question. With Garrett’s injury taking place in the first half of the fifth game in the season, this might be a tough battle to win, though.
“We’ll look at every avenue that we can,” Barry Odom told Brendan Wiese on The Big 550 KTRS Monday night.
Jim Sterk appears to be on the same page as Odom. “If it’s in Cale’s interest, we’ll certainly pursue that.”
Yes, a lot is going to need to happen for this to actually progress, but it seems like Missouri will be doing everything they can to make a medical redshirt work.
More likely than not, Saturday against Troy was Garrett’s final game as a Missouri Tiger. And what a way for him to go out after he won SEC Co-Defensive Player of the Week.
With Garrett out now, the production from the linebackers are going to have to rely heavily on Nick Bolton, and he’s more than capable of stepping up to the challenge.
Nick Bolton is currently the highest-graded linebacker in the SEC! pic.twitter.com/0XtJjlNNCq— PFF College (@PFF_College) October 9, 2019
Unfortunately, this Garrett injury feels oh-so-similar to “Pig” Brown’s situation in 2007.
Speaking of the 2007 team, we’ve got a Twitter poll up and running about them, so go ahead and VOTE!
Who wins?— ROCK M NATION (@RockMNation) October 9, 2019
Yesterday at Rock M
- Mizzou is good, you guys, Brandon Kiley writes
- Film Room: Odd Fronts and Backup LBs, by Tim Bussen
- Ole Miss Rebels Offensive Preview, by Nate Edwards
- What can Dru Smith do? A bit of everything, writes Matthew Harris
- PODCAST: Missouri’s defense braces for life without its leader, with Sam Snelling and Brandon Kiley
- Ready or not, Cameron Wilkins now takes center stage, writes PowerMizzou’s Gabe DeArmond
- Saturday Down South wonders how long Associated Press voters are going to hold the Wyoming loss against Mizzou
- Sammy Stava (hey, that’s me!) took part in a Q and A over at Ole Miss’ Red Cup Rebellion
- Torrence Watson was cited for DWI, but has already served his suspension, writes STLToday’s Dave Matter
- Here’s Brandon Kiley’s latest True Son Podcast with former KTGR Big Show host, Jeff Parles!
- Jeremiah Tilmon, Javon Pickett, and (of course) Cuonzo Martin will represent Missouri Basketball at SEC Media Day next week in Birmingham
- Mizzou Volleyball lost in four sets to Ole Miss. The Tigers dropped to 10-4 (2-2 SEC) and are at Auburn on Friday night.
- If you’re looking to sign up for ESPN+, Rock M Nation now has an affiliate link: click Here for ESPN+ Now!