Homecoming will be a different sort of reunion for Barry Odom and Matt Luke
Dave Matter of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch wrote a cool story about the pending reunion of head coaches Barry Odom and Matt Luke, who first became friends when Odom was selected to take part in a youth camp during Fiesta Bowl festivities his junior year at Mizzou. While both shared dreams of wanting to be coaches way back in 1998, they knew it was highly doubtful they’d each end up working for their alma maters, let alone as head coaches.
“We both knew we were getting into coaching, but we were never naive enough to think he’d be at his alma mater and I’d be at mine here,” Odom said. “You never know. The coaching fraternity is really small.”
There’s a lot of good information in there, so I highly recommend checking it out.
In other football news, some Tiger linebackers have found themselves on award watch lists! Love to see it. Cale... (sigh).
And if you don’t get all the feelings watching this, your heart clearly does not bleed black and gold, and also— why are you reading this site?
And this, directly from the coach’s mouth (er.. twitter account). Coach Barry Odom wants to see YOU at The Zou for Homecoming, so you’d better be there, dammit. (sorry, that was harsh)
Now that I have shared pretty much all the tweets that Mizzou Football had to offer on Thursday.... TO THE LINKS!
Yesterday at Rock M
- Ryan wrote an excellent piece about Homecoming and what it means for players like JJ, who will be participating in his final homecoming game.
- Sean posted a notebook chock-full of news and notes from media availability.
- Nate tackled the Ole Miss defense in a preview post. Is it a trap?!?
- Sammy wrote about how Barry Odom has never been in this good of a position heading into what has historically been the best part of the season for him.
- Nate (the forever vacationer) was back with another podcast episode of Before the Box Score for your ear holes. This time around, he chatted with Zach Berry, Managing Editor at Red Cup Rebellion. Give it a listen... or, if you’re more of a reader, the recap can be found here. (shameless plug)
- Mizzou Hoops target Davion Bradford’s announcement is coming today around 5pm, and to get you prepared, you should really listen to Sam’s podcast with BK. That particular topic is covered around the 36 minute mark. While you’re at it, you should really take in all the podcasts from our very talented bunch of Rock M writers and masthead. There is something for everyone! To subscribe to Rock M Radio on iTunes/Apple Podcasts, click HERE! We’re also on Spotify and available on Android devices.
- Now that the 2019-20 slate has been finalized, you can download new Mizzou Hoops schedule wallpapers for your desktop, phone, and other devices over at MUTigers.com! Looks like you can get them for other sports too, if that’s your thing.
- Don’t forget to head by the arena on Saturday for your first look at this year’s Tigers in action.
- MUTigers.com posted a feature on women’s hoops newcomer, senior Utah State transfer Shannon Dufficy.
- St. Louis Post-Dispatch: Matter recapped his weekly chat on STL Today. He also put out a new episode of the Eye on the Tigers Pod with BenFred, focusing on Ole Miss’ dangerous offense.
- KC Star: This came out a few days ago, but if you haven’t read this piece on the ‘tale of two injuries’ by the VERY talented Vahe Gregorian, you are missing out.
- Rivals.com/PowerMizzou ($$): Sean Williams had a cool piece for subscribers comparing the high school/JuCo recruiting rankings of the projected Ole Miss and Missouri starters.
- PowerMizzou (free): Former Rock M’er and excellent columnist, Pete Scantlebury, published another piece in his “Voice of Fantlebury,” series, this time an ode to Mizzou’s latest folk hero, Cale Garrett.
- The Ringer (a great website) called out our favorite former Tiger hooper, Michael Porter Jr, as one of their five players who could swing their teams’ seasons (for better or worse).
- Because the St. Louis Cardinals are my favorite baseball team, and there’s a Mizzou connection involved, I can’t help but mention that the Cards begin their NLCS matchup this evening against the Washington Nationals. Everyone’s favorite heterochromatic-eyed pitcher, Mighty Mizzou Max Scherzer, was mentioned in this post by BenFred on STL Today, and will surely play a huge role. I love Max, but GO CARDS.
- The Athletic ($$)- Peter Baugh did a Missouri Tigers Q&A for subscribers. As always, if you’re not subscribing to The Athletic and you’d like to take advantage of a free 7-day trial, you can go to this link, http://theathletic.com/freetrial.
- The Maneater: If you haven’t checked out this cute little story by Emily Leiker about a couple who’s been tailgating for 50 (!) years, you should give it a click.
- In non-athletics news, perhaps avoid Ellis Library study rooms for a bit? Kate Seaman of the Columbia Missourian wrote a story about reported floor buckling in one of the study rooms at Ellis. Just a reminder to get off your phones and pay attention to where you’re walking, kids! (the floor will be replaced over Thanksgiving break, if you’re wondering)
- If you’re looking to sign up for ESPN+, Rock M Nation now has an affiliate link: click Here for ESPN+ Now!