Herbstreit didn’t actually pick Missouri, but he did give the Tigers are lot of praise.
In the latest “The College Football Podcast with Herbie and Pollack”, Kirk Herbstreit and Kevin Negandhi both liked Florida to win the SEC East now that Georgia lost to South Carolina on Saturday.
“As we sit here right now, seven weeks in, I would pick Florida to win the East,” – Herbstreit said.
He didn’t forget about Missouri, though.
“I think Missouri is still a factor. They have done a heck of a job. I know they had a devastating injury to Cale Garrett. Not just a great player, but the heart and soul of that defense, and we’ll see how that affects them. Barry Odom is a great defensive mind as a head coach.”
Here’s Herbstreit on Missouri’s upcoming schedule:
“They’ve got Vandy, they’ve got Kentucky, and then they get a bye, and then they go to Athens. You’re sitting there at 7-1 after losing to Wyoming and having a little egg on your face and everybody thinking “Ah, so much for Missouri.” Give them credit with Kelly Bryant, they’ve kind of settled back in. Big win over Ole Miss. You’d expect them to be able to take care of Vandy and Kentucky, and then it’s a showdown, back-to-back weeks where they go to Athens and then they get Florida at home.”
As we enter the second half of the season, Missouri is ranked No. 22 in this week’s AP Poll, leaders of the SEC East, and are getting a lot of respect from the national media. Certainly not a bad spot to be in.
Missouri basketball, though, isn’t getting a lot of respect from the national media as they were picked to finish 13th in the SEC preseason poll. Yesterday was day one of SEC Basketball Media Days in Birmingham, Alabama, and here’s what head coach Cuonzo Martin had to say about those predictions.
Cuonzo Martin on #Mizzou being picked 13th: "It doesn’t bother me. And even for our players, if that has to fuel you, you’re not a very competive player. It’s about the work you put in and how hard you prepare in the offseason. I was a little shocked but it won’t stop us."— Blake Lovell (@theblakelovell) October 16, 2019
That just sounds like the perfect answer from a head coach. And here’s more from Cuonzo Martin and Jeremiah Tilmon on the SEC Network set:
On to the links!
Yesterday at Rock M
- Film Room: Nick Bolton takes the reins, by Tim Bussen
- Vanderbilt Commodores Offensive Preview, by Nate Edwards
- Jerry Stackhouse takes over at Vanderbilt with a big rebuild ahead of him, writes Sam Snelling
- PODCAST: Previewing the upcoming basketball season with The Athletic’s CJ Moore
- PowerMizzou’s Gabe DeArmond writes, How has Mizzou’s defense gotten so much better? (Free)
- Also from PowerMizzou: Pete Scantlebury takes a look at Kelly Bryant’s surprising senior season in a new Voice of the Fantlebury (Free)
- Former Mizzou pitcher (and future Hall of Famer) Max Scherzer has advanced to the World Series for the second time in his career.
- SEC Network’s Cole Cubelic had Missouri No. 3 in his Week 7 Top SEC Offensive Line performances, only behind Alabama and LSU. Not bad company to be in.
Week 7 top SEC OL performances: pic.twitter.com/nALDyUWHYd— Cole Cubelic (@colecubelic) October 16, 2019
- Mizzou Athletics has announced that Mizzou has five programs post SEC-leading graduate success rate
- Robin Pingeton and Amber Smith will be representing Mizzou Women’s Basketball at SEC Media Day in Birmingham.
- If you’re looking to sign up for ESPN+, Rock M Nation now has an affiliate link: click Here for ESPN+ Now!