Oh, the weather outside is frightful, and I hope Mizzou could one day be... delightful?
I know, I know. Sam or Josh, if you’re reading this... sorry. I know some of the commentariat — JST, I’m looking at you — are gunning for my job, so I only hope I don’t end up... out in the cold (sorry).
Ya know, I realize that Florida is having a good year and all, and they will not be an “easy” win for the Tigers by any stretch (I mean, come on... there are no easy wins recently, just gut-wrenching losses), but I can’t help but think about how Mizzou was not supposed to beat them any year, and somehow... some way... they managed to eke out a win. I remember last year when they played in Gainesville, my parents were there (hi mom & dad), and I was at work, and my phone kept going off in my pocket. And I kept thinking, “Why is my mom bothering me with bad news?” Turns out- it wasn’t bad news. We were kicking some Gator tail! Wouldn’t that be nice? To have that feeling again? So I can’t help but be hopeful that Mizzou will get it together this weekend (for the love of god, please), because they just seem to have Florida’s number.
DeMarkus Acy remembers last year’s Florida game well. Love to see it. Ahhh... memories.
Florida Week pic.twitter.com/QRHIbXMbWa— D.Acy™ (@DeMarkusAcy2) November 13, 2019
Y’all... Some people in the twitterverse are already out there calling for Cuonzo Martin’s head and talking so negatively about the hoops team after a loss to a RANKED OPPONENT in a packed Cintas Center (Matt & Sam told everyone on their pod it would be a raucous environment), and it is wild. Were there some things that weren’t great? Yes. We know what they were. I don’t need to address them— for that, check out Sam’s Study Hall, which will post at the 9 o’clock hour! Is it a huge deal to lose to a (again for the people in the back) ranked team on the road the third game of the season? No. Could we have won that game had a few situations panned out? Absolutely. Moving on!
Here’s some good things to remember.
Look what our guy Dru did. According to RJ Layton (@RJLayton_), Dru was the first Tiger to post a stat line like this since LBo vs Illinois in 2012(!)
A career night for Dru Smith#ToTheFinishLine pic.twitter.com/kBTPl5K5id— Mizzou Hoops (@MizzouHoops) November 13, 2019
Just look at the Bench Mob. That’s a team that is excited and is here for each other. Love to see it. Might have to make this my new background...(checks on how it looks)...yep.
2H 1:23 | TOUGH putback by Tilly in the paint.#Mizzou 47, Xavier 46— Mizzou Hoops (@MizzouHoops) November 13, 2019
Timeout on the floor. pic.twitter.com/TQ8n4P89tz
Do you feel better? You should. I, for one, cannot wait to see how this season goes and how this team progresses. It’s going to be a good one. I know it.
On to the links!
Yesterday at Rock M
- Josh asked if basketball could capitalize on football’s shortcomings in a really awesome post. Seriously, I loved it.
- Josh also previewed the Xavier game... which has now taken place. KenPom predicted a 70-65 Xavier win, FYI.
- Ryan posted a depth chart and some quick reactions. No more of that pesky “OR” distinction. We’ve got clear starters!
- Ryan welcomed some new 2020 football commits! Jaylon Carlies and Tyler Jones, teammates from West Orange (Fla.) High, committed early Tuesday evening. Read up on them!
- Nate brought us a new edition of Beyond the Box Score: the “expected” edition, where he tried mightily to not be flippant. Truth time: writing about losses is hard. Writing about lots of losses while trying not to throw things and scream expletives is even harder. I know... shocking.
- New hoops writer Matt posted his first gamer about that heartbreaker last night. He’s good, you guys.
- St. Louis Post-Dispatch: Matter had quite a few posts on Tuesday. One covered Odom’s press conference and Kelly’s health (of course). He also looked ahead to Florida in this preview. Finally, he talked with Derek Dooley, who is on a mission to fix Mizzou’s ‘pathetic’ offense, which was super interesting and I highly recommend it.
- Also from the StL P-D: BenFred addressed the questions Missouri AD Jim Sterk must answer as he evaluates the spiraling football team.
- KC Star: Souichi Terada gave an update on Kelly Bryant’s health and said how the Tigers plan to honor the veterans this weekend, among other topics addressed in the press conference.
- PowerMizzou (free): Gabe posted audio & a transcript, while Mitchell Forde posted a Notebook from Barry Odom’s media day press conference.
- Columbia Missourian: Bennett Durando told us who and what to expect next in terms of quarterbacking vs. Florida.
- Saturday Down South- Brian Stultz talked to Florida’s defensive coordinator about the Mizzou matchup and the challenges in stopping Kelly Bryant.
- MUTigers.com did a preview of this weekend’s game against Florida. I like these because they always include some pretty cool stats.
- Andy Kaufmann (ABC-17) interviewed Barrett Bannister and Taylor Powell, who have known each other since Pre-K.
Watch: #Mizzou QB @taylorwpowell & WR @BanisterBarrett have known each other most of their lives. The longtime friends are enjoying every moment together in college.— Andrew Kauffman (@AndrewABC17) November 13, 2019
"It's just like what we've been doing since 2nd grade or back to PreK when I used to dunk on him in basketball." pic.twitter.com/hJQcw3iFBY
- Rivals.com (free): In honor of National Signing Day, Corey Evans did a Twitter round-up, where he addressed Josh Christopher’s relationship with Missouri (and how he’s not signing with anyone today).
- Choose Your Own Xavier Recap: Mitchell Forde’s “And One” piece (PowerMizzou). Souichi Terada (KC Star). Max Baker (Maneater).
- The Maneater: Wilson Moore wrote about how Reed Nikko is hoping for a strong end to his Missouri career.
- Check out the volleyball team, who’s movin’ on up in the NCAA RPI after some great road wins!
Following two road SEC wins, #Mizzou rises 4️⃣ spots in latest NCAA RPI rankings #MIZ #ShowMe pic.twitter.com/Sj0i0Qo312— Mizzou Volleyball (@MizzouVB) November 11, 2019
- Mike Singer of The Denver Post wrote a cool story about the longtime friendship of Michael Porter, Jr and Trae Young, who faced off last night for the first time in the NBA.
- Drew Lock forgot how to put his helmet on, he’s so excited to be back! Welcome back, Drew! According to Mile High Report, he’s finally returning to practice this week.
Almost forgot how to put this thing on.... but boy did it feel good to be back out there! #BRONCOSCOUNTRY pic.twitter.com/qdoqoXPjCu— Drew Lock (@DrewLock23) November 13, 2019
- Former Mizzou pitcher Tanner Houck is a member of Team USA!
BREAKING: @houck_tanner will get the ball to start as #TeamUSA takes on Australia in the third game of #Premier12 Super Round action at 10 pm ET. pic.twitter.com/3fQUjbbub6— USA Baseball (@USABaseball) November 12, 2019
- If you’re looking to sign up for ESPN+, Rock M Nation now has an affiliate link: click Here for ESPN+ Now! (** RockMNation has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though RockMNation may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate links.**)