We’re only five games into this season, but this Missouri basketball team is already getting some attention from the national media.
It wasn’t pretty, but after a 70-52 win over Morehead State last night in front of Mark Smith’s team-leading 21 points, the Tigers are off to a 4-1 start with wins over two NCAA Tournament teams from a season ago (Northern Kentucky and Wofford).
Even in their lone loss against Xavier, Missouri’s performance was enough to catch the attention of some national media members. The Tigers may have missed a golden opportunity against the Musketeers to nab a Q1 win, but it likely won’t hurt them in the long run.
CBS Sports’ Seth Davis put Missouri in his “almost famous” list on Sunday night for those falling just outside his Top 25.
Almost Famous: Fla St, LSU, Okl, St Mary’s, Cinc, Xav, Mich, Penn St, Butler, Wisc, Mizzou, Dayton, Liberty— Seth Davis (@SethDavisHoops) November 18, 2019
When a twitter user noted that they were happy to see Missouri included, Seth replied, “(They were) picked next to last in SEC, but much better than that. Those freshmen have potential.”
And after their 75-56 win over Wofford on Monday night, Rob Dauster of NBC Sports’ College Basketball Talk had some high praise for the Tigers.
Things are about to get real fun in Kansas City, MO early next week in the Hall of Fame Classic, as the Tigers get Butler on Monday night, then Oklahoma or Stanford on Tuesday. Dauster has pegged Mizzou as his favorite to win this tournament.
On to the links.
Yesterday at Rock M
- Mizzou’s season gives us a chance to revisit Drew Lock’s legacy, writes Brandon Kiley
- Film Room: Mizzou’s pass rushing DTs, by Tim Bussen
- Hoops Preview: Morehead State offers Missouri one last tuneup, by Josh Matejka
- Tennessee Volunteers Offensive Preview, by Nate Edwards
- SEC Power Rankings: RIP Tua, by Nate Edwards
- FanPulse 13.0: The two days late edition, by Sam Snelling
- GAME THREAD: Missouri hosts Morehead State, by Ryan Herrera
- Tigers pull away late from Morehead State, gamer from Matthew Antonic
- From PowerMizzou’s Gabe DeArmond: Is Odom’s future on the line in the next two weeks?
- Mizzou target Montra Edwards Jr. will make his college decision on December 20th. Edwards is a three-star defensive tackle from Jackson, Mississippi.
December 20 ......⏳— Montra Edwards Jr. ™️ (@MontraEdwards5) November 20, 2019
- Here are some impressive numbers for Jeremiah Tilmon in the early going.
Jeremiah Tilmon, Jr.— Mizzou Hoops (@MizzouHoops) November 20, 2019
✔ 4th nationally in FG pct.
✔ The only player in the nation shooting 80 percent (min. 20 att.) AND averaging 2.5 blocks per game.
Is that good?#ToTheFinishLine pic.twitter.com/6a99RsP3GC
- Mizzou Volleyball got swept in three straight sets at No. 14 Kentucky, ending their four-match winning streak. The Tigers dropped to 18-7 (10-5) and are back in action Sunday
- If you’re curious.....here are some latest bowl projections for Missouri:
- Mizzou hoops is currently ranked 33rd on KenPom and are seventh in the country in adjusted defensive efficiency.
- Dave Matter’s game story on STLToday: After quick turnaround, Mark Smith carries Mizzou to victory
- If you’re looking to sign up for ESPN+, Rock M Nation now has an affiliate link: click Here for ESPN+ Now! (** RockMNation has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though RockMNation may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate links.**)