A new week. A new crop of thank yous. And the last one before Thanksgiving.
Since Thanksgiving is right around the corner, I’d thought I’d continue my thankfulness thread started two weeks ago, and take a few moments to shout out some of the people I’m thankful for this week in the Mizzou sports universe. In the first edition of what I’ve decided is my month-long Friday post, I expressed my gratitude for Nick Bolton, Xavier Pinson, Mario McKinney, Jr., Amber Smith, and Elle Brown. In the second edition, I focused on Mizzou Football’s return home (not great in retrospect), Hoops fans’ confidence in Coach Martin, Dru Smith, and Josh Taylor.
Who makes the cut this week, in my final overflowing cornucopia of November (there’s no links next Friday, blame Sam)? Let’s lean back, kick your feet up, take a shot (or several) of some Tennessee whiskey (I don’t like the stuff, but you can partake), and find out who was included.
If you want to get involved and let us know which Mizzou players/teams/Mizzou Nation people YOU are thankful for this week, leave a comment. Seriously, do it. Please?
To kick things off, I’m thankful for Mark Smith and his hot shooting. On a night when it seemed like no one else could hit the 3-ball (newsflash: basically no one else did hit a three-ball), he was on FIRE.
INTERVIEW: Mark Smith was just one point off his career high after a 21 point night and joined the TV crew to discuss Mizzou's (4-1) start pic.twitter.com/R6BI5TZVHG— Mizzou Network (@MizzouNetwork) November 21, 2019
I’m thankful for our hoops defense and our fearless leader, Cuonzo Martin. As I have said before, I don’t think it’s possible for me to love this man more. I am so very, very, very, very thankful he is our coach. As Sam pointed out in his acclaimed Study Hall yesterday, the Morehead State game was, “the Cuonzoiest Cuonzo game that ever Cuonzo’d. Missouri was ALL ABOUT defense and rebounding and it carried the day.” LOVE TO SEE IT, y’all.
Up to 7th nationally in adjusted defensive efficiency. Great opportunities next week in KC. #TTFL pic.twitter.com/WpSH0BGWJS— Cuonzo Martin (@CuonzoMartin) November 21, 2019
I’m thankful for our football seniors- especially Richaud, JJ, Cale, KB, Tucker, Khalil Oliver, Tre’Vour Wallace-Simms, Acy, Ronnell Perkins, and Yasir Durant. Some of these guys have really been through IT, and I’m glad they stuck with us through the tough times. (shameless plug- check out my Wednesday links for more on this)
️ "You remember every game. You remember a little more about your senior night." #MIZ | #ShowMe pic.twitter.com/mM96tbhk0A— Mizzou Football (@MizzouFootball) November 21, 2019
I’m thankful for my Rock M colleagues for teaching me all about the football with their film rooms, analysis, wild editorials, former player points of view, and yes, even the ill-timed love letters. I also thank them for being so welcoming to the random girl who showed up editing all their stuff. One day, I hope to actually meet you all in person and have a drink.
And finally, I’m thankful for YOU, dear readers/commenters. I wish you a Happy Thanksgiving, and thanks for making me laugh pretty much on a daily basis with your ridiculousness.
Now, on to the links we go.
Yesterday at Rock M
- Leader of Men (and me), Site Manager Sam, posted a Study Hall for the Morehead State game. I suggest you check it out.
- Ryan wrote a really awesome piece asking if Missouri can reignite that spark against Dooley’s former team.
- Nate tackled the Tennessee defense in part 2 of his weekly opponent preview post. In this post, he equated the Tennessee defense to such lovely events as getting a root canal and stepping on a lego. As someone who has done both of these things, I do not recommend it, which means I also do not recommend facing the Tennessee defense, I guess?
- Sammy wondered what other sort of hellscape the NCAA could put us through if they don’t render a decision this season.
- Podcast- Nate the Great/King of Rock M was back with a new episode of Before the Box Score, chatting it up withTerry Lambert, Editor-in-Chief of SB Nation site, Rocky Top Talk. You can also read the recap here.
- Sammy also did a written Q&A with, you guessed it, Terry Lambert from Rocky Top Talk! Quite the popular guest, that Terry is.
- I meant to post this in my Wednesday links, but forgot. Mizzou Football shared a sit-down that KOMU did with Director of Football Operations, Brittany Boehm-Jones.
"You have to be on your game all the time." - @B_Boehm4— Mizzou Football (@MizzouFootball) November 19, 2019
Watch a great story on #Mizzou Director of Football Operations Brittany Boehm Jones ⤵️https://t.co/CoLpeNZi5E#MIZ | #ShowMe
- A nice stat about KB and drop-back passes... That sounds good?
The SEC's most accurate "dropback" passers on throws from the numbers to the hashes per Accuracy%- min 20 att— SEC StatCat (@SEC_StatCat) November 21, 2019
1. Burrow 78.3%
2. Bryant 71%
3. Mond 69.2%
4. Fromm 68.1%
5. Trask 67.7%
6. Tagovailoa 67.4%
7. Guarantano 66.7%
7. Jones 66.7%
9. Stevens 65.7%
10. Neal 63.8%
- Columbia-Missourian: Liam Quinn wrote a great piece about the defense, talking about when “good is not good enough.” Highly recommend.
- St. Louis Post-Dispatch: Matter wrote how the Vols, who were left for dead in September, now could have a winning season. He also wrote a really great story about Khalil Oliver, who is getting his Master’s in Public Health and is currently interning at Jeff City’s Department of Health and Senior Services. He’s a really interesting guy, I’ve learned this season, and I highly recommend checking this one out as well.
- STL Today: Dave also held his weekly chat on STL Today, and posted another episode of The Eye on the Tigers pod with BenFred, which they claim is their best one ever.
- KC Star: Souichi Terada discussed how Mizzou is hoping to force some turnovers again.
- The Athletic (free): Peter Baugh posted a mailbag that answered the same question in many different ways— what’s up with Barry Odom’s job security? If you haven’t tried out The Athletic yet, here’s a link to a seven day free trial— http://theathletic.com/freetrial. I highly recommend it, and NO, I don’t get a kickback. If I wanted that, I’d give you my subscriber link ;).
- Rock M’s favorite radio guy, BK, talked to the KC Star’s Souichi Terada about all sorts of Mizzou/Columbia-related topics, including his hot takes on CoMo food, on The True Son Podcast. Check it out.
- Rivals.com ($$): Sean Williams took a look at where the projected starters and stars of the Mizzou-Tennessee game ranked as HS/JuCo recruits.
- PowerMizzou (free): Gabe and Mitchell caught up with former Mizzou beat writer, Blake Topplemeyer, to chat about Mizzou football and hoops in the PowerMizzou podcast.
- Mizzou will be visiting the Carolina coast for Thanksgiving 2020 to participate in the Myrtle Beach Invitational, the athletic department announced. This means we will be facing two former Big XII foes next year for certain— kansas and Nebraska. Bring it on.
Missouri announces the basketball team will play in the 2020 Myrtle Beach Invitational in Conway, S.C. , next November. Field includes Nebraska, Pittsburgh, Utah State, Dayton, Penn, Loyola-Chicago and Charlotte.— Dave Matter (@Dave_Matter) November 21, 2019
- St. Louis Post-Dispatch: Matter wrote about Mark Smith’s hot shooting & all-around play, and how it’s seemingly carrying the team at times.
- KC Star: Souichi Terada published a piece about the offensive struggles leading up the Hall of Fame Classic in KC.
- The women’s team, rather unfortunately, continued their skid, and now sit 1-4 after a loss at South Dakota. The Tigers were led by the double-digit scoring of Jordan Chavis (11), and the two freshman phenoms, Hayley Frank (11) & Aijha Blackwell (10). More info on MUTigers.com.
Other Mizzou Sports
- XC: Redshirt senior Thomas George will head to Terre Haute, IN for the NCAA Cross-Country Championships after finishing second in the Midwest Regional Championships earlier this week. Run, George, run! More info at MUTigers.com
- Swimming: Alex Burke of the Columbia-Missourian wrote about Thursday’s strong swims at Day 2 of the Mizzou Invite. They posted FOUR nation-leading times! Competition will continue this morning at 10am. Admission is free.
- Wrestling: #TigerStyle just demolished Central Missouri on Thursday night. They are back to .500 after a surprising start to the season, wrote Anderson Kimball of the Missourian.
FINAL | #TigerStyle Downs Central Missouri #Mizzou vs. Missouri Valley in 15 ⌚#MIZ | #TigerStyle pic.twitter.com/eofaKZLCpC— #TigerStyle (@MizzouWrestling) November 22, 2019
Former Mizzou Player News
- Drew Lock News: MileHighSports asked what it means if the Broncos don’t play Drew Lock in 2019? (GASP)
- Sheldon Richardson news: More thoughts on the Myles Garrett situation from USA Today’s BrownsWire.
- Markus Golden news: Empire Sports Media asked if the New York Giants should extend their BEST pass-rusher, Markus Golden. Ummmm... why is this a question? Larry Brown Sports listed Markus as one of the 5 NFL players earning themselves a big 2020 contract.
- Beau Brinkley (!!!) news: WSMV Channel 4 says that Brinkley, the Titans’ long snapper (and 8 YEAR NFL vet), enjoys the anonymity of his job.
- If you’re looking to sign up for ESPN+, Rock M Nation now has an affiliate link: click Here for ESPN+ Now! (** RockMNation has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though RockMNation may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate links.**)