The 2019-2020 Missouri Men’s basketball season is officially underway, and the Tigers are undefeated.
Mizzou rolled out a starting five of Javon Pickett, Dru Smith, Kobe Brown, Mark Smith, and Jeremiah Tilmon for the season opener.
And Missouri did exactly what they needed to do against an inferior opponent with an 82-42 thumping over Incarnate Word.
Jeremiah Tilmon had a monster game, leading the team with 16 points, going 7-9 from the field with six rebounds and an assist.
Other than that, there wasn’t much to learn from this game playing these kind of opponents. A much tougher task comes Friday night against Northern Kentucky, a team that made the NCAA Tournament last season from the Horizon League and have averaged 24 wins the last three seasons. The litmus test will come Tuesday night at No. 19 Xavier.
Plenty of more coverage to come here today on Rock M Nation after Mizzou’s season-opening win...
On to some baseball news— the Missouri Baseball team has released their schedule for the upcoming 2020 season.
The non-conference portion is highlighted by a College Classic weekend in Houston, Texas at Minute Maid Park against Baylor, Oklahoma, and Texas. Regardless of the results, this scheduling should be beneficial to Missouri’s RPI.
As always, the SEC is going to be a grind, but especially this season without Kameron Misner and T.J. Sikkema. Steve Bieser is 104-67-1 through his first three seasons as the head coach, so he’ll have Missouri competitive, especially with its pitching.
I'll tell you this: @MizzouBaseball's Frontline arms are going to give a lot of people problems in the SEC. Dillard, Bedell, Art Joven, Konnor Ash is a big-time top 4. Joven looked great today, low 3/4 LHP up to 91 with a very good changeup and slider (tight spin up to 2600 rpm) pic.twitter.com/LYZM9pPllr— Aaron Fitt (@aaronfitt) October 25, 2019
Onto the links....
Yesterday at Rock M
- Brandon Kiley writes about the Kelly Bryant injury fallout as a tough road game potentially gets a little tougher
- Film Room: Feeling Constrained, by Tim Bussen
- Sam Snelling, Matt Harris, Josh Matejka, Ryan Herrera, Matt Antonic, and Collin Griffith ALL took part in the Rock M Nation’s Staff Basketball Preview
- Georgia Bulldogs Offensive Preview, by Nate Edwards
- SEC Power Rankings: Clash of the Titans, by Nate Edwards
- Hoops Preview: Incarnate Word enters 2019-2020 trying to find some stability, by Josh Matejka
- GAME THREAD: Missouri hosts Incarnate Word to kick off 2019-2020 season
- Despite slow start, Missouri steamrolls Incarnate Word in season-opener, Ryan Herrera has the season-opening gamer
- Cuonzo Martin’s oldest friend is his newest assistant coach, writes PowerMizzou’s Gabe DeArmond
- Voice of the Fantlebury: November to Remember? writes PowerMizzou’s Pete Scantlebury
- From STLToday’s Dave Matter: Mizzou’s season hinges on Tilmon reaching his potential
- Missouri wrestler Jaydin Eierman has entered the transfer portal
- Jim Sterk wants to get to the bottom of the NCAA appeal (we all do) as he spoke with SEC commissioner Greg Sankey
- Looks like Kelly Bryant is on track to play against Georgia at the moment
Barry Odom on SEC conference call: Kelly Bryant took the majority of the snaps in today's practice. Odom says Bryant "is on track to play" at Georgia. Taylor Powell took some snaps with the 1st team like every week.— Dave Matter (@Dave_Matter) November 6, 2019
- Subscription needed for the story, but Aaron Fitt from D1 Baseball in his Fall Report says Mizzou Baseball may have their best team in a decade (!!!)
FALL REPORT: Ian Bedell leads a @MizzouBaseball pitching staff loaded with talent and experience, and the athletic lineup has quality depth. After knocking on the door to regionals in recent years, Mizzou might have its best team in a decade this spring:https://t.co/kZuPna447x— Aaron Fitt (@aaronfitt) November 6, 2019
- If you’re looking to sign up for ESPN+, Rock M Nation now has an affiliate link: click Here for ESPN+ Now! (** RockMNation has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though RockMNation may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate links.**)