‘Tis the month for giving and being thankful for all that we have in our lives
Since Thanksgiving is right around the corner, I’d thought I’d take a few moments to shout out some of the people I’m thankful for this season (and this week) in the Mizzou sports universe. So lean back, kick your feet up, sip on a piping hot salted caramel mocha (my Fall caffeinated beverage of choice) and enjoy.
I’m thankful for this guy, Nick Bolton. Perhaps you’ve heard of him? Cale Garrett may be out, but Bolton has been filling in admirably as a leader, hasn’t he?
I’m thankful for X-Man, who, if Wednesday was any indication, is in for a gooood season.
Fun with small sample sizes: After one game, Xavier Pinson leads the country in fouls drawn/40 minutes (15.2 fouls drawn per 40)— Gabe DeArmond (@GabeDeArmond) November 7, 2019
I’m thankful for Rio’s energy, speed, and hops. I mean, wow. Check out the whole thread- there are several videos. He’s going to be a FUN one to watch.
I’m thankful for Amber Smith, who’s doing her damndest to be a solid replacement for the (former?) Mayor of Columbia, and it’s getting her noticed, rightfully so.
I’m thankful for Elle Brown’s arrival on the scene. She continues to impress me every game.
I’m sure there’s others, but it’s been a long week, y’all. Now, on to the links we go.
Yesterday at Rock M
- Ryan wrote about the Tigers’ intensive prep leading up to this weekend’s test in Athens.
- Site Manager Sam posted a Study Hall about the Incarnate Word game, and I must say... I just LOVE these things. In my years of Rock M fandom, this has always been my favorite post.
- Nate tackled the Georgia defense in part 2 of his weekly opponent preview post.
- Sammy wrote about how, the football season may not be going as planned, but guess what? This hoops team appears to be offering up some hope!
- Sammy also conducted an opponent’s Q&A with Macon Dawg from Dawg Sports to get you ready for the game.
- Podcast- Nate had a chat with another Nate — fellow podcaster/contributor/Bill C apologist from Dawg Sports, Nathan Lawrence — in a new episode of the Before the Box Score. You can read the recap here.
- Columbia-Missourian: Nick Kelly talked to Kentrell Brothers and Bud Sasser, asking them what it felt like to win in Athens, since... you know... they were part of the last Mizzou team to do it. He also had a little news segment for KOMU, so he pulled a bit of double duty.
- St. Louis Post-Dispatch: Matter posted a late update on the KB health situation on Thursday evening. With 48 hours to go, Kelly appears to be getting back on track, but is still a game-time decision.
- STL Today: Dave also held his weekly chat on STL Today.
- KC Star: Souichi Terada wrote about the running game issues, and discussed Barry Odom’s plan to fix it.
- The Maneater: Max Baker wrote a fantastic piece about Ronnell Perkins’ determination to stick with his commitments despite other opportunities. Highly recommend.
- Our favorite radio personality and Rock M’er, BK, was back with another episode of his True Son Podcast, this time previewing Georgia with Anthony Dasher from UGASports.com and talking a bit of hoops.
- PowerMizzou/Rivals ($$): Sean Williams took a look at where the projected starters and stars of the Mizzou-Georgia game ranked as HS/JuCo recruits.
- UGASports/Rivals ($$): Anthony Dasher of the Georgia Rivals site put together some opposition research on Missouri for Georgia fans.
- St. Louis Post-Dispatch: in his “Matter on Mizzou” post, Dave got into the promising start of this deeper, more dynamic Tiger team. He took a look at some statistical figures that jumped out at him, such as 130.3 & 152.4, the offensive ratings of point guards Dru Smith and Xavier Pinson.
- More STL P-D: Matter also wrote about how Tilmon and Pinson were the stars of the show, and lead what likely is the deepest and most versatile bench of Cuonzo’s tenure.
- (Still more) STL P-D: Jeff Gordon wrote in his Tipsheet about how -OH MY GOD- he was impressed with Mizzou’s performance on Wednesday. Color me shocked, as the curmudgeon is normally way down on the Tigers.
- PowerMizzou (free): Mitchell started a new post called, “And-1” that will arrive the morning after every game. In his first iteration, he discussed how Cuonzo is prepared to lean on his freshmen at the 4, and did a game at a glance kind of recap.
- Columbia Missourian: Liad Lerner quickly recapped Amber Smith’s placement on the Naismith Trophy watchlist.
- Just a reminder that Mizzou has another home game tonight at 7pm. Loving this team’s genuine affection and enthusiasm for one another. #benchmob
Other Mizzou Sports
- Mizzou Volleyball is hoping to bounce back against Alabama & Georgia, writes Jackson Stone of the Missourian.
- A few days late, but the women’s cross country team finished 3rd at the SEC Championships, while the men took 7th. Next up is the NCAA Regionals in Stillwater, OK, beginning Nov 15.
- The No. 4/9 Mizzou men’s and women’s swimming and diving teams won nine events and recorded two nation-leading relay times during the first day of competition against No. 3/7 North Carolina State, No. 17/14 Kentucky and Arkansas at a quad dual in Lexington.
- Track & Field announced and outlined their 2019-20 schedule on MUTigers.com.
Former Mizzou Player News
- MPJ News: The Denver Stiffs told Nuggets fans to hold tight, and practice the very painful virtue of patience. NBA.com conducted a mailbag for Nuggets fans, and surprise, surprise, Mike’s name comes up.
- Drew Lock News: Is this for real? Apparently, according to the BroncosWire (USA Today), Denver will start Drew Lock the last two games of 2019.
- Chase Daniel News: Peter King of NBC Sports Chicago suggested that the Bears play Chase right now. Like the sound of that!
- If you’re looking to sign up for ESPN+, Rock M Nation now has an affiliate link: click Here for ESPN+ Now! (** RockMNation has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though RockMNation may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate links.**)