On the 11th day of December, the Mizzou Tigers gave to me— feelings of happiness (!) enthusiasm (!!) and excitement (!!!)
As the late, great Scott Weiland, lead singer of one of my favorite bands ever, the Stone Temple Pilots, sang in the highly underrated 1994 song Unglued, “Yeah.... I got this thing it’s comin’ over me. I got this thing it’s comin’ over me. I got this feeling comin’ over me. Over me..”
What’s this weird feeling I’m having about Mizzou football suddenly? It almost seems like... it can’t be... can it? Happiness? Enthusiasm? Excitement? I almost forgot what this was like to be filled with joy when thinking about Mizzou football, y’all.
As Josh wrote in his piece yesterday morning (READ IT), it’s pretty impossible to NOT win a press conference. Kim Anderson did it, and then look what happened. But Drink definitely impressed me with the specificity of his plans, and it seems like pretty much everyone came away feeling good about it as well.
Also, shout out to our very own Matt Antonic, who got to ask a question — a very good one, I might add — at the presser!
I mean, how could you not like someone who says things like this?
Here’s Coach Drinkwitz checking out his new digs. Now, I’ve been to Boone, North Carolina and Appalachian State several times — I lived in Charlotte for 8 years — and it’s really beautiful up there in the mountains, but the facilities and what Mizzou has to offer is just no comparison. (fun fact- we call it Appa-lay-shun here, but they call it Appa-latch-un there)
Happy players is good news. Please stay, all of you.
Onto the links, and GOOD GOD, there are a lot of them. It’s almost like we introduced a new football coach today or something... I split the football ones up by newspaper outlets, because... well, you’ll see why.
Yesterday at Rock M
- Special Rock M Podcast time! Sam, Nate, and BK got together to talk about the new sheriff in town! Highly recommend— I even got my dad to take a listen, who proclaims he “doesn’t listen to podcasts.” Rude. You can read the teaser recap here.
- Josh said head coach Eli Drinkwitz doesn’t have time to waste, and we are all looking towards what he does next, after he inevitably “wins” the press conference. (which he did)
- Josh also posted a quick piece after his hiring was approved and it became super official.
- Ryan recapped the new football coach’s opening press conference. There’s a lot of enthusiasm and good energy in abundance right now from everyone, and let’s hope it stays that way.
- New Matt posted a notebook about the press conference, saying Drinkwitz made a splash.
- Souichi Terada asked, Who is Eliah Drinkwitz? Here are five things we know about Mizzou’s new football coach.
- Souichi Terada, Sam Mellinger, Vahe Gregorian, and Blair Kerkhoff (all star team right there) got together on the Sportsbeat KC Podcast to discuss the press conference and give their thoughts.
- Vahe Gregorian wrote, from out of the chaos, Missouri at least wins the day with new coach Eliah Drinkwitz.
- Blair Kerkhoff wrote about how Gary Pinkel showed Mizzou what was possible in the SEC, and how he believes Drinkwitz can follow suit.
- Sam Mellinger wrote, while Drinkwitz’s first impression at Mizzou was good, Sterk’s role in his hire? Not so good. (sorry, subscribers only)
- Eli Lederman wrote about how Drinkwitz set the tone in his introductory press conference.
- Liam Quinn said, ‘Show Me’ the money: Breaking down Eliah Drinkwitz’s contract. (editor’s note: excellent punny title)
- Bennett Durando wrote that Offense philosopher Eli Drinkwitz is everything new that Missouri wanted. Is that enough?
St. Louis Post-Dispatch
- Hochman said, at his first Mizzou press conference, Drinkwitz impressed with his convictions and recruiting talk.
- Hochman also wrote that Drinkwitz aims to be ‘tip of spear’ for Mizzou.
- Matter looked at how, before Mizzou, Drinkwitz’s rapid trajectory started at high school level.
- Matter also covered how Drinkwitz called the Mizzou job the ‘opportunity of a lifetime’.
- AND Matter wrote about, after a unique search, Mizzou puts its faith in Drinkwitz.
- Gordo wrote about how Sterk rebounded nicely after a brutal few weeks for Mizzou.
- Gabe & Mitchell posted all the videos in Opening Remarks: Drinkwitz’s first day on the job.
- Gabe detailed the path from Odom to Drinkwitz for Missouri.
- Mitchell said Drinkwitz has embarked on “opportunity of a lifetime.”
- Mitchell also looked at Drinkwitz’s contract extensively.
Columbia Daily Tribune
- Kevin Graeler wrote, Determined Drinkwitz, Mizzou could be perfect match.
- Eric Blum said, ‘It’s kind of crazy’: Inside Mizzou’s hire of Eliah Drinkwitz.
- Gabriela Velasquez penned that Drinkwitz has embraced the challenges of his new job.
- Eric Blum also wrote about Drinkwitz spearheading a new direction for Missouri program.
- Chris Bowie wrote that the new leader’s passion appeals to Mizzou players.
The Athletic (subscribers only)
- Peter Baugh put out a really good piece, ‘Y’all can call me Eli’: The introduction of Eliah Drinkwitz as Missouri’s new coach, and the work that lies ahead.
- Baugh also wrote about how Eli Drinkwitz rose from the high school ranks to Missouri’s new coach. Here’s a link to a seven day free trial, and no, i don’t get a kickback! This is a general link, y’all.
Random football news/notes
Missouri: Source tells FootballScoop Drink has offered to retain several of Barry Odom’s staff. We are told defensive line coach Brick Haley, safeties coach Ryan Walters and defensive backs coach David Gibbs are all expected to remain on staff at this time.
- Dave’s got a Connor Bazelak injury update:
Forgot to tweet this earlier, but Mizzou QB Connor Bazelak talked to reporters today. Said he'll have ACL surgery Thursday and expects to be ready for 2020. "I'm fully expecting to attack the rehab and be back ready to go for the season."— Dave Matter (@Dave_Matter) December 11, 2019
- Awards season! Nick Bolton and Albert O were named to the SEC Coaches Team. Congrats, fellas!
- Look at you, Aijha Blackwell! Earning SEC Freshman of the Week honors!
- Cornell Mann is out there ‘cruitin some 2021 guys.
Farmington vs Wayne Memorial set to tip off in a few minutes.— Endless Motor Sports (@endless_motor) December 11, 2019
Missouri Asst Coach Cornell Mann in the building to check out 2021 EM 4️⃣⭐️ Jaden Akins.
The 6’3 guard holds a Missouri Offer and visited in the Summer. pic.twitter.com/vhQgbzOq24
- Ahhhh.... love to watch the highlights of a tough road W. Here’s to hoping the good vibes extend through the rest of the calendar year, at least.
Former Mizzou Player News (AKA- Denver sports beat)
- Madi Skahill of 5280.com asked, Is Drew Lock elite? Have the Broncos finally turned a corner? Is there still room for inevitable disappointment? Is the sky blue?
- Adam Stites at SB Nation surmised that Drew Lock may be the one Broncos QB prospect that John Elway got right.
- Chad Jensen of Sports Illustrated’s Mile High Huddle said Elway revealed what implications can be drawn from Drew Lock’s emergence.
- Chad Jensen also wrote about what Fangio said he needs to see from Drew Lock this week at Arrowhead.
- Joel Rush of Forbes Magazine wrote that NOW is the right time for the Denver Nuggets to give Michael Porter, Jr more minutes.
- Mike Singer of The Denver Post talked to Nuggets coach Michael Malone on expanding MPJ’s role.
- Here was Mike at shoot around, in case you are interested. They ended up losing to the 76ers late Tuesday evening. Mike played 14 minutes (so much for thinking he’d get more time), shot 2-7 from the field, and had 6 points and 6 rebounds.
Curious what kind of run MPJ gets tonight. pic.twitter.com/GasVcgd4R0— Mike Singer (@msinger) December 10, 2019
- If you’re looking to sign up for ESPN+, Rock M Nation now has an affiliate link: click Here for ESPN+ Now! (** RockMNation has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though RockMNation may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate links.**)