I know it’s almost football season, but we have to talk about Jon Rothstein
If you’ve spent any amount of time paying attention to basketball in the past few years, you are likely familiar with Jon Rothstein, Twitter’s favorite basketball android-person and America’s resident calendar keeper — but, y’know, only for March. If you’re unfamiliar, here’s a piece of... uhm... well, here’s this anyway...
It makes me uncomfortable, but also I love it?
Yesterday, Rothstein decided it was time to unplug himself from the motherboard long enough to print out his calculations on the coming SEC basketball season. Here they are!
SEC Offseason Power Rankings:— Jon Rothstein (@JonRothstein) July 29, 2019
4. Mississippi State
8. Ole Miss
11. Texas A&M
12. South Carolina
Wait. Hang on a second.
That is certainly a take! I mean, Missouri wasn’t great last year. But 13th, Jon? Really?
Our basketball editor weighed in on Twitter:
Uh, I disagree. https://t.co/vXd2QURw8W— Matt Harris (@MattJHarris85) July 29, 2019
The decision to plug Mizzou in at No. 13 is also an outlier. I'd probably have A&M, Carolina and Vandy bringing up the rear right now.— Matt Harris (@MattJHarris85) July 29, 2019
But I have a suspicion we're going to be giving tiebreaker rules a workout in spots five through 10 of the SEC standings.
Thank the lord for Matt, because my take would not have been nearly as balanced. Obviously Rothstein has become more of a meme than anything else in the past few years, but it’s always good to put some fuel in the motivation tank, no matter how far away we are from actual basketball.
But seriously, Jon. This is July. Shouldn’t you be recharging for another eight months?
Yesterday at Rock M
- It means nothing, really. It’s not even worth getting excited about, to be honest. But it’s still worth pointing out...
#️⃣2️⃣3️⃣ in the @NCAA's Preseason Power Rankings— Mizzou Football (@MizzouFootball) July 29, 2019
» https://t.co/h1875Hxns5#MIZ #ShowMe pic.twitter.com/LZplGKYddP
WE’RE 23! WE’RE 23! WE’RE 23!
- Ben Frederickson at the St. Louis Post-Dispatch says Tucker McCann is the fifth most important player for Mizzou this year which, on one hand, makes a lot of sense and, on the other hand, is slightly terrifying?
- Gabe DeArmond wrote 10 things about the weekend past and Sean Williams talked to a Mizzou recruit who had good things to say about the Tigers. All in all, a normal Monday at PowerMizzou — for premium subscribers, that is.
- A little bit of good news for people who like good news... about tailgating!
- Summer baseball has been kind to Mizzou Tigers, Exhibit S.
#Mizzou RHP @SpenceJ26 last two starts in the Northwoods League:— Mizzou Baseball (@MizzouBaseball) July 29, 2019
2-0 // 2 CG // 2.00 ERA // 14 K
#MIZ #ShowMe | #C2E ⚾️
- Interesting thought exercise:
What would you trade to witness your team win a national championship? Example: First born child.— Eddie Radosevich (@Eddie_Rado) July 29, 2019
I’m assuming he’s talking about football. 10,000 points to the person with the most creative answer. Or just the funniest.