Cuonzo Martin offers Top 60 SG
Hello? Hello? Is this thing on?
Sorry about the late arrival of links today, folks. Still working out some kinks in the new rotation!
Not a lot of headline worthy news for the Tigers yesterday, though a basketball recruiting note could be of significant interest.
Blessed to receive an offer from the University of Missouri pic.twitter.com/Lione7odVE— Caleb Murphy ♂️ (@thecalebmurphy1) August 22, 2019
With the commitment of Cam’Ron Fletcher to Kentucky and the fading chances with Josh Christopher, Martin offered shooting guard Caleb Murphy out of Loganville, GA.
Usually when offers go out this late in the game, they’re for flier prospects — guys with high ceilings but low floors. Think Christian Guess from last season, a player whose star had fallen, but still showed the upside of a contributor in a Power 5 program. As you can remember from Guess’ time at Missouri, those types of offers tend to not work out.
However, Murphy is a different story. He’s a bonafide four-star recruit, ranking at 52nd nationally at Rivals and 117th at 247Sports. His offer list is about what you’d expect for a recruit that well-regarded — a host of SEC schools are on him given his proximity. Missouri is just the latest to join the party.
Of all the schools on Murphy, however, Missouri is only one of two classified with “warm” interest by 247, along with Georgia Tech. It’s still very early in this courtship, but it stands to reason that there has to be some level of interest on Murphy’s side if Martin is throwing around offers to someone with his pedigree this late in the game. We’ll keep an eye on this situation and give you updates as it develops.
Yesterday at Rock M
- Cuonzo Martin is putting up a fight for his top targets
- 2019 Season Opponents Preview: Florida Gators
- In the Huddle: A day in the life of Fall Camp
- Pete Scantlebury (hey, we know him!) wrote his regular column for PowerMizzou, while subscribers can check out the weekly mailbag and the site’s regular feature, The Perfect Class.
- Dave Matter had his weekly chat at STL Today, which they helpfully transcribed.
- The Kansas City Star wonders if the offensive line can maintain its high quality of play after losing several starters.
- The women’s basketball team finalized next season’s schedule.
- Get out your notepads, fantasy footballers: Damarea Crockett is a deep sleeper pick according to ESPN.
- If you’re looking to sign up for ESPN+, Rock M Nation now has an affiliate link to sign up: ROCKMNATION ESPN+ LINK SIGNUP NOW PLS