Miscellaneous Mizzou News
Greetings. Not much to say up top news-wise. Dave Matter’s chat at STL Today, which I talked about last Friday, didn’t inspire much of anything worth sharing. It was mostly the dashed dreams of his chatters, some framed much more nicely than others. Dave did mention, however, that he’s heard the OL coach position is down to two candidates, and perhaps we’ll hear something today about it?
Hot content alert. Check out the new Dive Cuts pod! Man, I’ve missed hearing Sam and Matt in my ears talking hoops. It’s also available on a multitude of platforms (Apple Podcasts / Google Play / Spotify). Give it a listen!
PODCAST: Dive Cuts with @SamTSnelling and @MattJHarris85 triumphantly returns to evaluate Mizzou Basketball’s season thus far, and take a look at the upcoming matchup with Florida. https://t.co/aSuWN3I0Ft— ROCK M NATION (@RockMNation) January 9, 2020
That’s all I’ve got.
Here’s your links.
Yesterday at Rock M
- After a few weeks off and with FB season over, the Fan Pulse is back, and all about hoops. Are Mizzou fans confident in Cuonzo Martin? I, for one, am— 1000%.
- Thursday’s Top Mizzou Moment focused on the BYU game and sending GP out with a win. I highly encourage you to check out the hard work Sam (& Josh) have put in on this project.
- Sam & Matt were back with a new episode of Dive Cuts looking at the state of Missouri basketball and SEC hoops as a whole. You can listen here via streaming link. Or, if reading is more your thing, here’s a mini recap cowritten by Mitch & me.
- PowerMizzou (subscribers): Sean Williams of Rivals had a commitment analysis piece on Montra Edwards.
- Saturday Down South: Adam Spencer put together a Top 25 Football Players of the Decade list.
- Mizzou Athletics put together a really cool feature on the top wins of the 2010s. Give it a look.
- Looks like Mizzou will have a very important in-state 2021 recruit in town next weekend on a visit, Travion Ford from Lutheran North.
Drinkwitz has stressed the need for Missouri to recruit St. Louis, and Travion Ford (Lutheran North) will be a key target. He's a four-star defensive end and the No. 2 ranked player in the state (class of 2021), according to 247. https://t.co/YZqPoGsO0X— Peter Baugh (@Peter_Baugh) January 9, 2020
- PowerMizzou (free): Pete’s Voice of the Fantlebury series highlighted the past and present of Mizzou Hoops.
- PowerMizzou (subscribers): Mitchell wrote about how the Tigers need to spark their slumbering offense for the stretch run.
- KC Star: Souichi detailed how Mizzou plans to replace Jeremiah Tilmon’s production while he’s hurt.
- Columbia Missourian: Brian Napier wrote that, with two SEC losses and Tilmon out, Missouri’s January now carries extra weight.
- The Athletic ($$): CJ Moore detailed what to expect from Missouri the rest of the season (posted Jan 7 but not been linked to previously, and we can just ignore the top part about Tilly— get better soon, Dino Jammies).
- Atta boy, Tray!
editor’s note: in case you are wondering why he didn’t play extensive minutes despite his production, on at least one occasion, he asked to come out because he was getting winded (per Matter chat)
- Reminder for those of attending Saturday’s Florida game, it’s a black out. Here’s hoping the attendance is good with an evening game time, the weather holds out (not looking great), and they’ve got a hot hand. Should be a fun time, and I’m looking forward to it— even got the good office seats this time. Josh’s preview will be out later this morning.
- St. Louis Post-Dispatch: Dave wrote, with Blackwell starting to shine, Mizzou women fight growing pains.
- Columbia Missourian: Briley Eilers said that Missouri needs its best game of basketball to pick up a win against Mississippi State.
- Despite a much improved second half performance where they outscored the Bulldogs by 7 (that first half... YIKES), Mizzou fell to #13 Mississippi State 79-64 on Thursday night. Haley Troup had a great game, scoring her season high in points (14), including 4/5 for 3s.
Other Mizzou Sports News
- PowerMizzou (free): Gabe and Mitchell put out a new episode of their PowerMizzou Podcast, assigning each Mizzou sport a confidence rating.
- No 7/12 Mizzou Swimming & Diving teams opened the new year with a visit to Baton Rouge for a dual where they split the results. The men won by 33 over LSU, where the women lost be the smallest of margins, 2 points. (MUTigers.com)
- Mizzou Men’s track preseason rankings were released by USTFCCCA and the Tigers come in a number 19. From the MUTigers.com news release,
Coming in at 19th in a field of 270 Division I NCAA men’s track and field programs, Mizzou is primed to contend towards the top of the competitive SEC. 15 total SEC men’s and women’s track and field programs are ranked in the top-25 of the preseason poll released Wednesday. The SEC is tied for the most men’s teams in the top-25 with seven.
Sounds good to me! And as a reminder, Ja’Mari Ward was featured as a top athlete of the 2010s in our Rock M series (written by yours truly).
- No. 8 Mizzou Gymnastics is back in action this weekend today with a meet against Kentucky.
- Mizzou Wrestling is back on the mat tonight at 6pm against Ohio. It’s Military Appreciation Night. Here’s more info on tonight’s matchup (and their upcoming match against UNI on Sunday) from MUTigers.com. Check out this cool video.
- Baby Bryce, Assistant Coach Sarah Michalowski-Marino’s son, visited the softball team Thursday afternoon at Devine Pavilion and hung out in the ball cart. How cute is he?! I’m wondering if we might have a new Mizzou Infant overlord (as Jack Peglow poetically called Aarion Penton’s little brother back in 2014)?
Mizzou in the Pros
- Tee hee.
- Want more fun Drew Lock content? You can watch each of his touchdowns at USA Today’s Broncos Wire.
- NBA.com: Khari Arnold said Michael Porter, Jr is staying patient, but is continuing to dream.
- The Big Lead: Ben Stinar wrote about Trae Young and MPJ’s bright futures and shared pasts.
- If you’re looking to sign up for ESPN+, Rock M Nation now has an affiliate link: click Here for ESPN+ Now! (** RockMNation has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though RockMNation may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate links.**)