Was this all just a dream?
Presenting: A synopsis of Missouri Basketball, as told by Arrested Development gifs
This can be taken two ways.
First scenario: Was that Florida game just a beautiful snow & ice-covered mirage? Did I dream it up? Did it really happen?
Well, guess what, Michael? You were right. Nothing is going to top that. Certainly not right now. Not after what we witnessed from behind covered eyes and in between blinding screams— WHY DID I KEEP WATCHING?!?
Which brings me to the second scenario: was last night really just a nightmare?
If only, Job. If only.
The truth is... we’re probably somewhere in between, as are a lot of schools in the SEC (and college basketball, if we’re being honest) this season. We aren’t a mirage, but we also aren’t a nightmare. So what are we to do?
I don’t know about you, but I’m shutting the door on these thoughts, just as my friend Lucille would do.
Onto the links!
Yesterday at Rock M
- Matthew J Harris, basketball analytics savant, took a look back over the five questions that were posed about Mizzou coming into this season, and examined where we are.
- Josh previewed Tuesday night’s road matchup against the very tall Bulldogs of Mississippi State.
- Ryan wrote about the recent transfer news. Bye, Mario. Wishing him nothing but the best in the future.
- Not-so-new Matt provided readers with a gamer on that whooping put upon us. Shield your eyes, cuz it ain’t pretty.
- Ryan had your game thread.
- PowerMizzou (subscribers): Sean Williams said grad transfer offensive lineman, Devin Cochran, is hearing from Mizzou.
- A bit of recruiting visit news for you, courtesy of The Athletic’s Peter Baugh.
Class of 2020 cornerback recruit @EnnisRakestraw Jr. says he'll visit #Mizzou this weekend. The Tigers offered him in October, and his recruitment has picked up in recent weeks. He has offers from Alabama, Georgia and Texas.— Peter Baugh (@Peter_Baugh) January 14, 2020
- St. Louis Post-Dispatch: Dave wrote that, with Tilmon hobbled, Mizzou finds size in reverse.
- Columbia Missourian: Brian Napier identified his top Missouri Hoopsters of the 2010s in Part 3 of their series on the highs & lows of the last decade of Mizzou Hoops.
- McKinney Transfer News: Mitchell Forde (PM). Souichi Terada (KC Star). Dave Matter (STL Today). Eric Blum (Columbia Trib).
- PowerMizzou (free): Mitchell previewed the MS State game, saying in order to win the Tigers would need to 1) win the battle of the boards, 2) cut down on fouling, and 3) keep attacking, before predicting a WIN for the Tigers. (editor’s note: I know we didn’t foul as much in the first half?)
- Tennessee game previews: Brian Napier (Columbia Missourian). Souichi Terada (KC Star). MUTigers.com.
- Choose Your Own Gamers available in various places if you care to relive that almost comically bad unpleasantness: Souichi Terada (KC Star). Dave Matter (St. Louis Post-Dispatch). Mitchell Forde (PowerMizzou). Brian Napier (Missourian).
- The Tigers are back in action on Thursday evening facing off against rival and No. 1 ranked, South Carolina. Halftime entertainment will be the St. Louis Disc Dogs! You can purchase tickets here.
THIS WEEK ⤵️— Mizzou Basketball (@MizzouWBB) January 13, 2020
Thursday ➡️ #Mizzou hosts No. 1 South Carolina for its #WeBackPat Game
Sunday ➡️ #Mizzou hits the road to face Ole Miss#MIZ #OurTownOurTeam pic.twitter.com/lM0A7hrPOL
- Women’s hoops didn’t come away unscathed in the transfer portal either, as Brittany Garner is leaving the program.
#MIZZOU WBB NEWS: A source tells KTGR that Tiger women's basketball forward Brittany Garner intends to transfer from the program. Coach Robin Pingeton made the announcement at a fan luncheon today.— ESPN100.5/105.1 KTGR (@KTGRsports) January 14, 2020
Garner was a redshirt last season & is averaging 6 minutes and 1.4 points / game
Other Mizzou Sports/ Miscellaneous Mizzou News
- Women’s Golf: MUTigers.com reminded fans of what went on during the first part of their season in their Fall Rewind. Spring season gets underway Feb. 23-24 when the team travels to AZ for the Westbrook Invitational.
- Gymnastics is back at Hearnes with another meet on Friday night vs. Florida at 6pm, and it’s Prince, Princess & Superhero Night. The meet will also be televised on the SEC Network.
Friday is , Night— Mizzou Gymnastics (@MizzouGym) January 14, 2020
tiaras and superhero masks (as supplies last)
Meet your favorite Disney princesses on the concourse
@MizzouGym special edition poster
Columbia Public Schools Night
#MIZ | #ShowMe pic.twitter.com/YJ2e2xK9DK
- Mizzou Baseball’s home opener is one month away. Who’s excited?
One. Month. Away.— Mizzou Baseball (@MizzouBaseball) January 14, 2020
The 2020 #Mizzou season opener is just around the corner❗️#C2E ⚾️ pic.twitter.com/zp4pQpKQWe
- Ionic Independent (color) guard: the sport, added by MU in Winter 2017, started practice again to prepare for competition season, wrote Elizabeth Underwood (Missourian).
- In non-athletics news, there’s a new episode of the Inside Mizzou podcast, this time discussing some really smart things, like “the geological distinctions of our campus and our state.” The Chancellor sits down with Miriam Barquero-Molina, the director of the Geology Field Program and assistant teaching professor in the Department of Geological Sciences, and Kimberly Moore, a doctoral student in the Department of Geological Sciences.
Mizzou in the Pros / Former Player News
- Drew Lock News: Denver recently hired a new offensive coordinator in former NYG head coach, Pat Schurmer, and it seems to bode well for Drew Lock, according to SBNation site, Mile High Report. The Denver Post said something similar, I think (I can’t open it because their site is realllllly locked down). Mile High Sports said the Schurmer hire is simple— it will make Drew Lock better.
- Sports Radio 104.3 TheFan asked if the Broncos should pay or pass on center Connor McGovern in 2020.
- Clutchpoints examined how the Jordan Clarkson trade has boosted the Utah Jazz.
- Sophie, as well as any good human in favor of equality for professional women’s basketball players, is ecstatic about the new CBA. You can better familiarize yourself with the new model on SBNation. It’s really interesting, and long overdue. From the post:
The new WNBA CBA should change the landscape of the league for the better, providing bigger payouts for its players and better personal benefits as women’s basketball strives for a point where players can have a true offseason at home.
I have so many big dreams that I still want to achieve and y’all have no idea how huge this is for females in sport. I have some more exciting news that I’ll be launching soon! It’s raw, real, super fun, & very encouraging. STAY TUNED! https://t.co/V8wObAnY1W— Sophie Cunningham (@sophaller) January 14, 2020
- If you’re looking to sign up for ESPN+, Rock M Nation now has an affiliate link: click Here for ESPN+ Now! (** RockMNation has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though RockMNation may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate links.**)