Happy second day of 2020, everybody! And there is tons of news to get to from New Year’s Day.
Mizzou football is ringing in the New Year with a #NewZou hashtag:
Eli Drinkwitz spent his New Year’s Day with another addition to the coaching staff with the hire of Bush Hamdan. The news was first reported by Yahoo! Sports’ Pete Thamel.
Source: Missouri is hiring former Washington assistant Bush Hamdan as an assistant coach. Hamdan and Eliah Drinkwitz worked together at Arkansas State.— Pete Thamel (@PeteThamel) January 1, 2020
Mizzou football officially announced the hire later in the day. Hamdan will serve as an offensive assistant.
Mizzou basketball will be ringing in the New Year to open up conference play on Saturday afternoon... at Rupp Arena against No. 17 Kentucky. The Tigers enter SEC play with a record of 8-4, and here’s where they stand as of now:
On KenPom, Mizzou comes in at No. 50. Bart Tovik also has Missouri at No. 50, and maybe more importantly, the Tigers are among his last four teams IN (!!!), according to his T-Ranketology. And according to the most recent updated NET rankings, Missouri sits at No. 54.
All things considered, after the Charleston Southern debacle, Missouri has rebounded nicely for them to be in fairly decent shape as far as their NCAA Tournament hopes go entering conference play.
Onto a lot of links!
Yesterday at Rock M
- Brandon Kiley writes about the defense in his Mizzou Football All-Decade Team
- Sam Snelling looks back at Missouri’s win over Georgia in Athens in the Top moments of 2010s
- Border War Restored (10th) and Mizzou Loses NCAA Fight, and Odom (5th) makes Ben Frederickson’s Top 10 St. Louis sports stories for 2019
- The Mizzou wrestling team is spending the start of 2020 in Fort Lauderdale, Florida
- Mizzou hoops conference play primer, writes PowerMizzou’s Mitchell Forde
- PowerMizzou’s Mitchell Forde also takes a look at the linebacker position in his roster review.
- Marcus Denmon has been voted in to his China League’s 2020 CBA All-Star game.
Starting 2020 off with blessings!! Voted by CBA fans for 2020 ALL STAR Game!!! Grateful for the opportunity thanks to my organization, Coaches and teammates #12 pic.twitter.com/gmtdGBqjC6— Marcus Denmon (@MizzouMonster12) January 1, 2020
- Mizzou Baseball received a New Year’s Day commitment from C/1B Nick Schmit.
Excited to announce that I am continuing my baseball career and education at the University of Missouri. Thank you to the coaches for this opportunity and for welcoming me into the program. Go Tigers ! @biesersr @JFadd27 @JtHagerty11 @CoachToddButler @MizzouBaseball pic.twitter.com/hpv34VV1xa— Nick Schmit (@NickSchmit_) January 1, 2020
- Eli Drinkwitz is doing his best to hire coordinators with Power Five experience.
With the Hamdan hiring, #Mizzou now has five assistants with Power 5 experience as coordinators:— Peter Baugh (@Peter_Baugh) January 2, 2020
-Ryan Walters (Missouri)
-Charlie Harbison (Auburn, Clemson, Mississippi State)
-David Gibbs (Texas Tech, Houston, Auburn, Minnesota)
-Curtis Luper (TCU) https://t.co/mJoQESooma
- Here’s QB1 Drew Lock wishing Broncos Country a Happy New Year!
Thank you Broncos Country for the warm welcome in 2019...I now understand the passion as well as the responsibility!! Happy New Year!! pic.twitter.com/skQ68ktCFu— Drew Lock (@DrewLock23) January 1, 2020
- PowerMizzou’s Pete Scantlebury has his Top 10 of the 2010s in the Voice of the Fantlebury.
- Gabe DeArmond has more on Eli Drinkwitz hiring Bush Hamdan.
- Mizzou Women’s Basketball opens up SEC play at No. 22/23 Tennessee. Here’s a preview from Mizzou Athletics.
- Mizzou hires Bush Hamdan as offensive assistant, writes STLToday’s Dave Matter.
- If you’re looking to sign up for ESPN+, Rock M Nation now has an affiliate link: click Here for ESPN+ Now! (** RockMNation has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though RockMNation may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate links.**)