The Mizzou Volleyball team gets their eight game, SEC-only schedule started on October 17th on the road against Alabama, and they’ll do so with some high expectations.
The American Volleyball Coaches Association released their Week 1 poll on Wednesday afternoon, and Missouri comes in with a No. 7 ranking.
AVCA Fall Top-15 Coaches Poll— NCAA Volleyball (@NCAAVolleyball) September 30, 2020
6. Notre Dame
8. Texas A&M
12. Georgia Tech
13. Iowa State
15. Texas State#NCAAVB
While it is not a full Top 25 this season due to COVID-19, it is Mizzou’s highest ranking to begin a season in program history. The Tigers should make some national noise under second year head coach Joshua Taylor.
Their season is just around the corner!
Playing the best game in the world alongside your squad— Mizzou Volleyball (@MizzouVB) September 30, 2020
Life is good‼️#MIZ | #ShowMe pic.twitter.com/Qo44qyH4ik
Hey, and how about Larry Borom? The offensive tackle had 46 pass-block snaps with zero QB pressures allowed, according to PFF College.
Missouri OT Larry Borom against Alabama:— PFF College (@PFF_College) October 1, 2020
Pass-block snaps: 46
QB pressures allowed: 0https://t.co/MKgf1e3Lpr
Honestly, I had no idea, but Borom made PFF College’s Top 10 performances from 2021 NFL Draft prospects in Week 4 at No. 10.
You might be asking, “Who?” Don’t worry, I asked that too. And the answer would be the tackle the player who just pitched a shutout against Alabama. He didn’t get beaten once on 46 pass-blocking snaps, including 14 true pass sets.
The redshirt junior certainly qualifies as a jumbo tackle at his listed 6-foor-6, 332 pounds. He’s far more nimble than you/d expect at that size, however, as he played basketball in high school. After allowing 20 pressures across four different positions in his first year as a starter in 2019, Borom looks to have taken a considerable leap with his technique at right tackle this season.
Onto the links!
Yesterday at Rock M
- Nate Edwards has a preview of the Tennessee Volunteers
- PODCAST: Previewing Mizzou vs Tennessee, with Nate Edwards, Brandon Kiley, and guest Terry Lambert from Rocky Top Talk
- Brandon Kiley writes that Eli Drinkwitz unlocked Jalen Knox
- In the latest notebook, Mitchell Forde writes that Drinkwitz plans to continue QB rotation
- ($$) Here’s the latest edition of Gabe DeArmond’s Macadoodles’ Mailbag
- In case you missed it, here’s the latest episode of The 573 Report with Gabe DeArmond and Mitchell Forde
- Dave Matter looks ahead to No. 21 Tennessee in the game preview
- Drinkwitz doubles down on Mizzou’s quarterback plan, writes Dave Matter
- From Dave Matter: Drinkwitz calls SEC’s inconsistent COVID reporting “a free for all”
- Souichi Terada writes how Drinkwitz plans to use the Tigers’ quarterbacks in 2020
- Adam Cole writes that Missouri is likely to lean on familiar faces despite the new-look offense under Drinkwitz
(Columbia Daily Tribune)
- In Eric Blum’s latest notebook, he writes that Drinkwitz is comfortable playing multiple QBs
- Eric Blum writes about sophomore safety Martez Manuel adjusting to his new starting role. (Manuel had an SEC-best 3.5 TFLs last week vs Alabama)
- Why thank you, Mr. Pruitt
Jeremy Pruitt on Missouri's game against Alabama: "They kind of dominated the second half."— Dave Matter (@Dave_Matter) September 30, 2020
- From ABC17’s Anderew Kauffman, here’s what Shawn Robinson had to say about the quarterback competition with Connor Bazelak:
Watch: #Mizzou QB Shawn Robinson says he's embracing the competition with Connor Bazelak. HC Eli Drinkwitz says both of them will continue to play.— Andrew Kauffman (@AndrewABC17) September 30, 2020
"Iron sharpens iron." pic.twitter.com/oPt8Lp0LmM
- Tampa Bay Rays’ Peter Fairbanks is the only former Mizzou Baseball player in the MLB Playoffs, and Rays have advanced to the ALDS. Meanwhile, former Mizzou baseball player and San Diego Padres manager Jayce Tingler is taking on the St. Louis Cardinals in the NL Wild Card series.
- From Saturday Down South’s Adam Spencer, Jeremy Pruitt praises Mizzou coach Eli Drinkwitz, QB Shawn Robinson ahead of Week 2 match up
- The Texans have canceled their workout with Kelly Bryant
Texans have now canceled their scheduled workout for Shea Patterson, Kelly Bryant, Nate Brooks and Trevor Davis, according to league sources— Aaron Wilson (@AaronWilson_NFL) October 1, 2020
- Mizzou Baseball ended the shortened season on a seven-game winning streak. Can’t wait for BieserBall’s squad this year!
#Mizzou ended 2020 on— Mizzou Baseball (@MizzouBaseball) September 30, 2020
Wait until you see what’s in store for 2021 #C2E ⚾️ pic.twitter.com/ZhqBI3ALci
- Bill Connelly’s SP+ projections has Mizzou covering, but losing 27-17 to Tennessee
WEEK 6 SP+ PICKS— Bill Connelly (@ESPN_BillC) September 30, 2020
* Florida 33, SC 18
* Memphis 32, SMU 31 (um, maybe add 10 pts to each side here)
* Texas 35, TCU 22
* Bama 35, A&M 23
* Navy 29, Air Force 27
* UGA 23, Auburn 21
* OU 35, ISU 24
61% ATS so far this year (59% last wk), 51% on O/Us (33% last wk, gross) pic.twitter.com/X4O3xryfxw
- Get ready for Saturday!
Always. Compete.— Mizzou Football (@MizzouFootball) October 1, 2020
That's the standard. #MIZ x #NewZou pic.twitter.com/Q2R1iAdDYh
- The Mizzou Tennis match against Central Arkansas was postponed due to COVID-19 concerns
NEWS | #Mizzou's Friday (Oct. 1) doubleheader vs. UCA has been moved to Oct. 30.#MIZ pic.twitter.com/ijB4B4dJ2z— Mizzou Tennis (@MizzouTennis) September 30, 2020
- A cool feature here on the Mizzou Track and Field home, Gans Creek
"I want you to know every blade of grass on this course." Gans Creek is #Mizzou's home today and into the future.#MIZ #TigerTough pic.twitter.com/IGGoehvdXD— Mizzou Track & Field (@MizzouTFXC) September 30, 2020
- If you’re looking to sign up for ESPN+, Rock M Nation now has an affiliate link: click Here for ESPN+ Now!
- If you’re looking to sign up for a new streaming service, you can try FuboTV: click HERE for FuboTV access — FuboTV now has ESPN, CBS, FS1 and more sports channels.
(** RockMNation has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though RockMNation may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate links.**)