He’s the guy who everyone’s talking about
So obviously the bad news of the day is that Mizzou won’t have a chance to build any momentum against Vanderbilt this weekend. Let’s just rip that band-aid off and then not focus on it anymore.
The good news of the day? Everyone loves Mizzou’s shiny new QB! After a 400+ yard and 4 touchdown performance against LSU, Bazelak was awarded a number of distinctions including, most notably, SEC Freshman of the Week.
At 85.3 percent (29-of-34), Bazelak posted Mizzou’s best-ever completion percentage against a ranked opponent or FBS opponent, a mark that is also a Mizzou freshman record and ranks second in school history ... The only performance better than Bazelak’s was Chase Daniel’s 94.1 completion percentage against Southeast Missouri during his senior season in 2008 ... He is just the fourth Mizzou QB to have an .830 completion percentage or better when passing at least 30 attempts; the other three - Drew Lock, Blaine Gabbert and Chase Daniel - played in the NFL.
It wasn’t just the SEC giving him love either. The All-State Sugar Bowl named Bazelak one of the 8 Manning Award Stars of the Week, alongside Trevor Lawrence, Kellen Mond, Mac Jones and a host of others. The distinction doesn’t mean much in and of itself, but would be a nice addition to his resume should he win the Facebook vote. Speaking of which:
Kirk Herbstreit also heaped praise on Connor Bazelak, naming him as one of the top performers of Week 6
My top performing players of THE WEEK— Kirk Herbstreit (@KirkHerbstreit) October 12, 2020
1-Kellen Mond @AggieFootball
2-Najee Harris @AlabamaFTBL
3-Kyren Williams @NDFootball
4-Michael Carter @TarHeelFootball
5-Monty Rice @GeorgiaFootball
6-Connor Bazelak @MizzouFootball pic.twitter.com/QDAfxibcqM
Not for nothing, Herbstreit also included the whole team and Eli Drinkwitz as standouts of the week.
Yesterday at Rock M
- The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly: LSU
- PODCAST: It’s fun to win Football Games!
- The Revue: Eli Drinkwitz leads Mizzou through MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE
- MV3: It’s a unanimous choice for the top spot
- BREAKING: Missouri-Vanderbilt game postponed
- Connor Bazelak isn’t the only one who got some post-LSU accolades
This week’s Co-Senior of the Week on Defense is Reese’s Senior Bowl Top 250 member @jiggybled from @MizzouFootball - Pulled down 6 solo tackles, 7 total, and 2 PBUs including the game winner in #NewZOU win over LSU. #TheDraftStartsInMOBILE pic.twitter.com/cIfT4C9dT3— Reese's Senior Bowl (@seniorbowl) October 12, 2020
That’s a sick graphic, if you’re asking me.
- Unfortunately, Mizzou’s young WR depth got a little thinner on Monday, when redshirt freshman CJay Boone announced he is transferring.
TO MIZZOU ! FORVER— c. (@CjayCartier) October 12, 2020
(I tried to make this a video , but I just couldn’t get it out after 4 tries ) pic.twitter.com/Kq7q48l9Wr
PowerMizzou updated their scholarship charts accordingly, which you can check up on if you’re curious. Also, I would be prepared for more transfers in the nearish future, at least if my Twitter sleuthing is still up to snuff.
- PowerMizzou subscribers can also get some Pro Football Focus takeaways from the LSU game and Gabe’s Monday morning thoughts over on their site.
- Mizzou Volleyball, dealing with its own COVID-19 outbreak, had to shuffle its schedule around. Check out the update here.
- Speaking of schedules, Mizzou Swim and Dive kicks off its season this week. Here’s their schedule, if you’re so inclined.
- If you’re looking to sign up for ESPN+, Rock M Nation now has an affiliate link: click Here for ESPN+ Now!
- If you’re looking to sign up for a new streaming service, you can try FuboTV: click HERE for FuboTV access — FuboTV now has ESPN, CBS, FS1 and more sports channels.
(** RockMNation has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though RockMNation may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate links.**)