Welcome to the SEC, COVID.
Well this isn’t exactly ideal, is it? It was pretty much expected, but now made official by the SEC as the league announced on Wednesday afternoon that the LSU Florida game on Saturday has been postponed due to COVID-19 positive tests.
LSU-Florida joins Vanderbilt-Missouri as the second SEC game of the season to get postponed due to COVID-19 concerns. Both games are set to be rescheduled for December 12th.
So, what does this exactly mean for the Mizzou at Florida game on October 24th? Probably not great! According to Pete Thamel, the game is now very much in jeopardy.
Sources: The postponement of the Florida-LSU game looms large for the SEC. If the Gators can’t play LSU, the Missouri game the following week is also in doubt.— Pete Thamel (@PeteThamel) October 14, 2020
But despite the uncertainty of when Missouri’s next game will be, Connor Bazelak continues to rack up the weekly accolades. On Wednesday, Bazelak was named the the Davey O’Brien National Quarterback of the Week. Going 29-34, 406 yards, and four touchdowns against the defending National Champions should do that!
Connor Bazelak QB of the Week by the @daveyobrien Award.— Mizzou Football (@MizzouFootball) October 14, 2020
» https://t.co/JxJgdAkau3#MIZ x #NewZou pic.twitter.com/5IhD2s1Kvu
Incredibly, Bazelak is the first Missouri quarterback to win this such award, and he joins Brady White, Trevor Lawrence, Dillon Gabriel, K.J. Costello, and Shane Buechele to win the award this season. That’s pretty good company!
Let’s get to the links!
Yesterday at Rock M
- Brandon Kiley writes that Missouri has a new position battle worth watching
- PODCAST: Welcome to the Unexpected Bye Week! With Nate Edwards and Brandon Kiley
- In the latest notebook, Mitchell Forde writes that the unexpected bye is a blessing for Mizzou
- ($$) Here’s the latest edition of Gabe DeArmond’s Macadoodle’s Mailbag
- Video from Gabe DeArmond: Catching up with Cuonzo Martin
- Here’s the latest 573 episode with Gabe DeArmond and Mitchell Forde
- Dave Matter writes that Drinkwitz plans to capitalize on Mizzou’s unexpected bye week
- From Dave Matter: Could Florida’s COVID spike impact Mizzou’s next game?
- Souichi Terada writes how Drinkwitz plans to use unexpected off-week to keep improving
- Souichi Terada writes about the edge Mizzou basketball has opening practice in the COVID-19 era
- ($$) Peter Baugh goes inside Drinkwitz’s playbook and lists five of his best calls vs LSU
- From Emily Leiker, Missouri to host NCAA D1 cross country championships in 2025
(Columbia Daily Tribune)
- Langston Newsome goes inside Mizzou’s decision to go on with Homecoming even without a game
- From Eric Blum: Martin, Mizzou basketball prepare to play on pandemic
- ICYMI, Rock M’s own Karen Steger was a special guest on The Platform Sportstalk Show in St. Louis! Great stuff from Karen on Mizzou and much more!
The Platform Sportstalk Show w/Special Guest Karen Steger (10/14/20) https://t.co/1N7XO24bU6— The Platform Sportstalk Show (@314SportsTalk) October 14, 2020
- On The Big 550 KTRS, Coach Drinkwitz made his weekly appearance with Brendan Wiese to discuss the win over LSU.
- Incredible stuff from OT Larry Borom. The only offensive tackle with 50+ snaps to not allow a QB pressure this season.
Missouri's Larry Borom: Only power five OT with 50+ snaps to not allow a QB pressure this season pic.twitter.com/BMgo1BAP2x— PFF College (@PFF_College) October 15, 2020
- Well, this is big. Nick Saban and Alabama AD have both tested positive for COVID-19. (The good news is that Saban is feeling well and is asymptomatic).
Alabama head football coach Nick Saban and athletic director Greg Byrne have tested positive for COVID-19, per UA. Saban directed @alaftbl practice from home today.— Cecil Hurt (@CecilHurt) October 14, 2020
- Happy first official day of college basketball practice!
Set the tone on Day 1.— Mizzou Hoops (@MizzouHoops) October 14, 2020
Big season ahead #ToTheFinishLine pic.twitter.com/6r015UeLbq
- Here’s a very cool feature inside the Mizzou Women’s Basketball program
This is &— Mizzou Basketball (@MizzouWBB) October 14, 2020
This is #MIZ #OurTownOurTeam pic.twitter.com/pxhF30qdWO
- According to USA Today, Cuonzo Martin’s salary currently ranks 31st in the country and good for seventh in the SEC
- Also, Drinkwitz’s salary is 29th in the country and 10th in the SEC.
- The NCAA has announced their host site selections for championships from 2022-2023 from 2025-2026, with plenty of events scheduled to be held in St. Louis (2024 NCAA Hockey Regionals, 2025 Frozen Four, and 2026 NCAA Men’s Basketball Tournament First and Second Rounds). Columbia (2025 Division 1 Cross Country Championship), and Kansas City (2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball Regional, 2024 NCAA Wrestling Championships, and the 2025 Women’s Volleyball Championship).
- Drew Lock was a full participant for Denver in their Wednesday practice
Broncos' QB Drew Lock, who has been sidelined since Week 2 with a shoulder injury, was a full participant at Wednesday's practice.— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) October 14, 2020
- Nick Bolton. National Defensive Player of the Week. Enough said.
"Pain’s only temporary. Wins are forever." - National Defensive Player of the Week Nick Bolton#NewZou | @_nickbolton2 pic.twitter.com/elfaCYn7tX— Mizzou Football (@MizzouFootball) October 14, 2020
- The NCAA has announced that the D1 Council has extended the eligibility for all winter sport student-athletes
- If you’re looking to sign up for ESPN+, Rock M Nation now has an affiliate link: click Here for ESPN+ Now!
- If you’re looking to sign up for a new streaming service, you can try FuboTV: click HERE for FuboTV access — FuboTV now has ESPN, CBS, FS1 and more sports channels.
(** RockMNation has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though RockMNation may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate links.**)