Hoops Talk on a Mizzou Football-less Weekend (thanks, Covid)
Since there’s no football this week, I’ll focus on my sport of choice, BASKETBALL, and what’s going on with both hoops teams as practices have gotten started.
Joel Lorenzi of Columbia Missourian wrote about the excitement following Mizzou Hoops’ first practice, and I recommend it. In regards to Parker Braun, who was already talked up significantly in CJ Moore’s “State of the Program” piece last week in the The Athletic, Martin said:
“He’s been good... He’s always had good legs on him, but his body has filled out, so he’s been impressive knocking the 3-ball down. He’d probably be the one (player) that has stood out to me most in comparison to where he was.”
Particular attention was also mpaid to Jeremiah Tilmon as well, who “looks like senior.” Said Cuonzo:
“(Jeremiah Tilmon) has gotten better,” Martin said when asked who has improved since last season. “The conditioning piece and all that, his energy, his focus, and he looks like a guy that’s a senior in a college program ... because of how he looks, how he talks and how he moves. It says a lot about the wisdom that he’s gained over time.”
I’m a huge fan of Jeremiah Tilmon (AKA Dino Jammies), and am so glad to have him back.
With the recent news of the NCAA permitting an extra year of eligibility to Winter Sports athletes, Coach Martin mentioned he was in favor of this in Mitchell Forde’s PowerMizzou Notebook. He serves on the committee that came up with this decision, and elaborated:
Given that different teams, and likely different individuals within the same team, are almost certainly going to play different numbers of games depending on their league or the presence of the virus on their squad, Martin believes not having this season count against athletes is the most fair option.
How does this impact the NCAA Tournament, which is hell-bent on having their tournament as usual this season? The likelihood that all teams will play a full season without stretches of Covid issues is.... well... unlikely. What if teams aren’t playing the same number of games or their records are severely impacted by being out 3-4 key players? This ain’t football, and there aren’t just a bunch of tailor-made replacements in the wings (supporting evidence: see last year, and year before, and year before with Mizzou injuries). How does the committee decide who makes it and who doesn’t?
“I think it’s unfair, without question, because what happens, nobody will play the same number of games. So there’s so much inconsistency, so how do you pick 68 teams for the NCAA Tournament? How do you do that? I don’t know how you do it with so much inconsistency.”
I love this team. So much. Some of these responses cracked me up. Dru “hasn’t bought into the craze that Mark tried to create” and Javon looks so confused.
So, what is Ocean Gang™️?— Mizzou Hoops (@MizzouHoops) October 15, 2020
On the women’s hoops front, Coach Pingeton is fired up for the new season, and Aijha is doing some great work with the Boys & Girls Club!
to say we are excited is an understatement!! https://t.co/QRzAZZcjA8— Robin Pingeton (@CoachPingeton) October 16, 2020
So incredibly proud of @AijhaAnniece for taking the time to get to know Zaire! She's quite the hooper! @BGCofColumbiaMOhttps://t.co/Al7WU7JFLc— Robin Pingeton (@CoachPingeton) October 15, 2020
On to the links!
Yesterday at Rock M
- Josh wrote about Connor Bazelak’s historic P5 start.
- I wrote the first of a two-parter on imposter syndrome and its impact on college athletes. READ IT. PLEASE and thank you.
- Aaron wrote about the Master of Misdirection, Eli Drinkwitz.
- Coming up: Pregamin (but without a game), and a breakdown on everyone’s favorite QB
- St. Louis Post-Dispatch: Dave held his weekly chat while Benjamin Hochman wrote about how the “h” in Joshuah Bledsoe stands for “hero” after his heroics against LSU.
- KC Star: Souichi wrote about how Mizzou has found itself at the epicenter of the Covid issues through no fault of its own. Blair Kerkhoff and Souchi teamed up for a new episode of their KC Sports Beat podcast, chatting about Mizzou Football pausing with a nice memory in mind, as well as the recent announcement of various tournaments being awarded to Kansas City.
- Saturday Down South: Sydney Hunte shared the unbelievable news that prior to the LSU game, OL Zeke Powell had just been discharged from the hospital after getting some sort of infection.
- PowerMizzou (free): Gabe & Mitchell were back with new hot football taeks in their Blowing Smoke Presented by Weston Tobacco series.
- Rivals.com/PowerMizzou ($$): Sean Williams posted a video of 2021 recruit Tyler Hibbler talking about his commitment.
- This is AWESOME. Re-live Mizzou’s win over LSU in unbelievable photos titled, “Our Guys Didn’t Flinch.”
- Some notes on Twitter from Dave Matter, in regards to Drinkwitz’s weekly radio show.
Drinkwitz on radio show: Mizzou staff will watch recruits' games online tomorrow night. Says MU will have "a large recruiting class." Says he feels good about the nucleus of the 2021 class, open to grad transfers & juco transfers to fill needs.— Dave Matter (@Dave_Matter) October 15, 2020
- High praise from Urban Meyer on CFB on Fox, who called Drinkwitz one of his coaches of the week.
1. @KStateFB's Chris Klieman— FOX College Football (@CFBONFOX) October 15, 2020
2. @MizzouFootball's Eli Drinkwitz
3. @AggieFootball's Jimbo Fisher@CoachUrbanMeyer breaks down his top coaches of the week ⬇️ pic.twitter.com/QbHXMVVsO2
Other Mizzou Sports News
- Columbia Tribune: Ben Pfeifer went inside the mind of a Mizzou cross country runner in a cool piece.
- St. Louis Post-Dispatch: Dave Matter wrote about Mizzou’s 4th season under Cuonzo Martin admits pandemic uncertainties.
- The Maneater: Michael Howie broke down the positional matchups in Mizzou Soccer’s recent loss to Tennessee.
- Excited to see what #BieserBall does this season.
The foundation is set. #Mizzou is ready to breakthrough #C2E ⚾️ pic.twitter.com/EzsgQwTfLM— Mizzou Baseball (@MizzouBaseball) October 14, 2020
- Brian Smith’s crew is ready to get back on the mat.
Almost that time #MIZ x #TigerStyle pic.twitter.com/XUOuAxY813— #TigerStyle (@MizzouWrestling) October 15, 2020
- Looks like #TigerStyle will have some fans in the seats at the next Mizzou game. Love seeing their history of excellence shown so prominently (in the form of cardboard cutouts, haha).
Rumor has it that a few national champions will be at @MizzouFootball's next game #MIZ x #TigerStyle pic.twitter.com/jE0snquldU— #TigerStyle (@MizzouWrestling) October 15, 2020
If you’re looking to sign up for ESPN+, Rock M Nation now has an affiliate link: click Here for ESPN+ Now!
If you’re looking to sign up for a new streaming service, you can try FuboTV: click HERE for FuboTV access — FuboTV now has ESPN, CBS, FS1 and more sports channels.
(** RockMNation has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though RockMNation may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate links.**)