Mizzou is playing Florida on Saturday. Dan Mullen is sure of it.
It felt good to see Mizzou take the field against Kentucky on Saturday, especially after a long two-week wait from that emotional LSU win. But the reason the Tigers took the field against the Wildcats in the first place was the fact that, after loudly and belligerently complaining about not having enough fans in the stands, Dan Mullen got COVID-19 along with most of his roster.
The Florida outbreak was one of the worst we’ve seen in college football this season, and Monday was the first time the Gators were even able to get back onto the field. And while there may be some concern about their ability to clear the SEC-sanctioned number of available players, Dan Mullen doesn’t seem worried.
Mullen says he's sure they'll have 53 guys ready to play Mizzou this week— Matt Baker (@MBakerTBTimes) October 26, 2020
OK, Dan. Whatever you say, bud.
Even if Florida does enough players ready to go by this weekend, there are still several questions that will linger over the program. First being, will all the guys available be in condition to play? We’ve seen athletes look sluggish and hampered after dealing with the novel coronavirus, and Florida had a good chunk of their roster test positive. Second off, will they have enough team practice time to fully prepare?
Important note for Florida.— Sports Locksmith (@CFBlocksmith) October 25, 2020
According to the SEC’s Task Force rules, Day 1 of re-acclimation practice should be 25 percent of a normal practice or conditioning session.
The rules don’t allow full participation until Day 4 (would be Thursday).
Of course this is the SEC and this is Florida we’re talking about, so I’m sure those rules will be skirted “legally.” In all sincerity, though, we’re hoping the Gators can get back to full strength as soon as possible. Hopefully everyone recovers well and Mizzou gets the chance to beat them fair and square on Saturday.
In any case, the Mizzou uniform department will have quite a job in matching the Gators’ look.
Florida wearing mid 60’s throwbacks for homecoming game against Missouri.— Darren Rovell (@darrenrovell) October 26, 2020
Features same helmet as 1965 season when Gatorade was invented at the school. This is my helmet signed by all four of the Gatorade doctor inventors. Dr. Robert Cade passed away in 2007. pic.twitter.com/XJM1a5uCgm
Those things are crisp.
Yesterday at Rock M
- The Good, The Bad and The Ugly: Kentucky
- PODCAST: Mizzou Beat Kentucky at their own game
- MV3: One Tiger runs away with the top spot
- The Revue: Larry Rountree stars, Mizzou strikes a new, tough tone in DRIVE
- PowerMizzou subscribers can get the site’s premium access to the Pro Football Focus analysis and Gabe’s Monday morning thoughts. Additionally, Mitchell Forde wrote up a piece about a new basketball recruit who recently took a Zoom visit to Columbia, Mo. (also for subscribers only.)
- If you subscribe to The Athletic, you can read up on Peter Baugh’s final 30 (!) thoughts from Saturday’s game. He doesn’t cheat you, either. It’s 30 fully developed thoughts. Content kings over there.
- STL Today also did some analysis of the Mizzou vs. Kentucky PFF numbers, specifically highlighting Nick Bolton’s individual performance in Mizzou’s dominant defensive effort.
- Maurice Massey has been dismissed from the Mizzou Football program following a weekend arrest on suspicion of several assault charges. Massey had previously opted out of the season.
- Ben Frederickson wrote his Monday column not on Mizzou, but on former Mizzou coach Barry Odom, who has rebounded strong in his new position at Arkansas.
- Mizzou Volleyball is dominating the beginning of their season. After Week Two, the roster swept the SEC Player of the Week awards. That’s right — the Player of the Week, Defensive Player of the Week, Setter of the Week and Freshman of the Week are all Tigers.
#Mizzou SWEEPS the @SEC weekly awards❗— Mizzou Volleyball (@MizzouVB) October 26, 2020
It's only the 2nd time in league history that one program has claimed all 5️⃣ honors in one week
https://t.co/NRIsuhyds7#MIZ l #ShowMe pic.twitter.com/S5QwRhNu3j
- Missing Marching Mizzou? Maybe this will help.
#MIZ! Nothing like a @MarchingMizzou performance of #Mizzou's Alma Mater to bring in the last week of the @MU_Homecoming celebration. pic.twitter.com/dtIeTi86FN— Mizzou (@Mizzou) October 27, 2020
- If you’re looking to sign up for ESPN+, Rock M Nation now has an affiliate link: click Here for ESPN+ Now!
- If you’re looking to sign up for a new streaming service, you can try FuboTV: click HERE for FuboTV access — FuboTV now has ESPN, CBS, FS1 and more sports channels.
(** RockMNation has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though RockMNation may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate links.**)