Mizzou Athletic Director Jim Sterk joined SEC Network’s The Paul Finebaum Show on Wednesday afternoon for about a 10 minute interview to discuss Mizzou Football’s early season success, the hiring of Eli Drinkwitz, and how the Missouri athletic program has handled the COVID situation this year.
In his opening statement, Sterk said that the football team is down to 63 scholarship players at the moment. “It’s week-to-week, day-to-day, but he (Drinkwitz) is doing a heck of a job.”
Here’s Sterk on when he first hired Drink:
“When you meet him, when you talk to him, you know that he has that “it” factor.....Once he started coaching, every place that he was at was better after when he was there, and they performed at a high level....Every place and every person I’ve talked to respected the heck out of him. He’s put together a great staff that teaches fundamentals, they encourage and get the best out of our players. That bodes well for the future when we can have 85 scholarships and we’re at full strength, and can compete with the best in the league.”
And after the LSU win alone, Sterk notes that the folks had totaled around $18 million (!!) worth of social media that was around it. “Really, it starts to snowball, and I think people can see what’s going on, what he’s doing, and he’s trying to do it the right way.”
Plenty of more good stuff from Sterk on Finebaum, which you can listen to the full podcast here.
And how about some golf? Yes, golf! Former Mizzou Men’s Golfer Peter Malnati is participating in this weekend’s PGA Tour Bermuda Championship, and he has a first-round lead after Thursday’s action as he shot a -8 with nine birdies and just one bogey.
Malnati’s second-round begins today with a 12:55 p.m. CST and you can watch on the NBC Golf Channel. Malnati currently ranks No. 10 in the FedEx Cup standings with two top-top finishes. MIZ!
Onto the links!
Yesterday at Rock M
- Aaron Dryden has his latest three and out for the Florida game
- Here’s my Q and A with Christopher Adams of Alligator Army
- PODCAST: Dive cuts returns and we THINK Basketball will as well
- ($$) From Sean Williams, Mizzou has offered 2021 in-state Vianney defensive end Cole Petrus a preferred walk-on opportunity
- Mitchell Forde looks back at Mizzou’s 2014 win over Florida in The Swamp
- Gabe DeArmond and Mitchell Forde make their weekend predictions in the latest Blowin’ Smoke
- Gators look to restore order in chaotic season, writes Dave Matter
- Here’s the full transcript of Dave Matter’s live Mizzou chat
- Souichi Terada writes that a key position has boosted Mizzou football as the Tigers look to tack on win streak
- ($$) Peter Baugh and Florida beat reporter G. Allan Taylor did a roundtable discussion on everything you need to now about the Missouri-Florida game on Saturday
- From Anderson Kimball, Missouri preps for a fantastic Florida offense
(Columbia Daily Tribune)
- Eric Blum has his latest Blum’s Banter: Missouri looks to continue win streak against No. 9 Florida
- Mizzou Sports Podcast: Tigers head to The Swamp after winning two straight, with Eric Blum and Langston Newsome
- Big news here.....the SEC Championship Game in Atlanta has moved to a primetime spot this season. 7:00 p.m. CST on CBS on December 19th.
- Another tough loss for the No. 9 Mizzou Volleyball team as they got swept by No. 3 Kentucky to drop to 2-2 on the season. The Tigers are back in action at home vs Arkansas on Wednesday night. 5:00 p.m CST on ESPNU.
- Some Drinkwitz highlight notes on Thursday night’s Tiger Talk, from Peter Baugh:
Drinkwitz said on his radio show it would've been easy for the team to question what it's building as the team lost its first two games and multiple players opted out or transferred. He credits the senior leadership for keeping the team focused. #Mizzou— Peter Baugh (@Peter_Baugh) October 29, 2020
#Mizzou's Eliah Drinkwitz on the progression of offensive football: "I do think quarterbacks are getting really good. And I do think RPOs are putting secondaries in a bind."— Peter Baugh (@Peter_Baugh) October 29, 2020
- Mizzou Football Thursday hype video? Yes, please!
- Just tremendous news with the latest update on Rhyan Loos...as she went through clear scans for 47 straight months!
- At Alligator Army, here’s my Q and A I did with Christopher Adams
- On MUTigers.com, Mizzou Tennis to Face Central Arkansas in Doubleheader on Friday
- On MUTigers.com, Mizzou Cross Country Set for SEC Country Championships
- Mitchell Forde joined Matt Michaels and Andy Humphrey on The KTGR Big Show to discuss some Mizzou Football
- Nothing better than fall football weather!
- Get ready for Parker Braun SZN!
- Haley Troup is a baller!
- Mizzou Track and Field and Cross Country ends their season at the SEC Championships in Baton Rouge on Friday. Watch this video, narrated by Karissa Schweizer!
- A gentle reminder... look. We know that this is a highly stressful time of year, but we — the moderators (the majority of whom are unpaid), as well as those of us on the masthead that are asked to monitor the comments every day— kindly ask that before you post something, think to yourself: Will this likely get deleted because I’m right at the edge of what’s allowed? Is what I’m stating so open to interpretation that it’s going to rile people up? Is it mean-spirited? If the answer is yes, we request that you keep it to yourself. Otherwise, you may find yourself on a forced vacation from the site for a designated period of time.
Your Friendly Rock M Masthead & Moderators, none of whom have time to read the comments all day
- If you’re looking to sign up for ESPN+, Rock M Nation now has an affiliate link: click Here for ESPN+ Now!
- If you’re looking to sign up for a new streaming service, you can try FuboTV: click HERE for FuboTV access — FuboTV now has ESPN, CBS, FS1 and more sports channels.
(** RockMNation has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though RockMNation may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate links.**)