Real tigers aren’t purple. But we’ll welcome them to town anyway.
Due to the Hurricane Delta projections, our Tigers (real tigers) will now face off against the LSU Tigers (fake purple tigers) in Columbia on Saturday at 11am. This is the Tigers’ first visit to Columbia ever, and they will be the last of the 13 SEC teams to make a trip to Faurot.
KMOU Sports Director Ben Arnett was the first to report the news on Tuesday, after Hurricane Delta was categorized as a Category 4 storm with winds reaching 140 mph. It’s expected to hit the Baton Rouge area late Friday into early Saturday. (SIDE NOTE: Can 2020 give it a rest already? We’ve had enough!)
UPDATE: A University source tells me that @MizzouFootball will host LSU this Saturday at 11 am at Faurot Field. An announcement from the @SEC updating the status of the game is expected tomorrow morning at 9 am— Ben Arnet (@BenArnetKOMU) October 6, 2020
An official statement is expected by the SEC at 9am today, according to reports.
As Rock M’s deputy manager, Josh Matejka, said on the Twittersphere, it does suck that Missouri has several high-profile home games this season, each of which would have generated a helluva lot of revenue for the school, but alas... we are in strange times. It sucks that the school can’t get that all that sweet money from what would have surely been increased ticket sales. People may not want to watch the Missouri Tigers (sad face), but they DO want to watch teams like Alabama and LSU.
Getting the unexpected opportunity to host the defending national champions in a year when you can’t fully capitalize on ticket sales >>> https://t.co/NKfce8Ygod— Josh Matejka (@joshmajika) October 6, 2020
One last thing before we get to the links, In this video segment, courtesy of the SEC, head coaches Eli Drinkwitz and Ed Orgeron praised each other’s complex schemes.
Now, on to the links!
Yesterday at Rock M
- Nate the Great wrote about the depth chart— welcome QB1, Connor! Nate, say it with me... BAZE-UH-LAK.
- Nate ALSO channeled his inner Bill C with his Beyond the Boxscore super analysis of Tennessee.
- Jacob covered the newest MIZ-Zoom event, where Drink took the blame for lack of offensive execution.
- COMING UP AT ROCK M: We’ve got an LSU preview from Nate & BK, and all the LSU previewing you could possible want.
- St. Louis Post-Dispatch: Dave was very busy on Tuesday, with a new Tiger Talk, breaking down Mizzou-LSU, while also covering the quarterback switch, with Connor Bazelak being handed the starting role this week.
- KC Star: Souichi discussed 5 notable stats from Mizzou’s loss to Tennessee while looking ahead to LSU
- Columbia Tribune: Eric Blum wrote about the game change, as well as Connor Bazelak’s new role as the startling QB (for now, anyway) and other revelations from Drink’s Zoom chat with the media.
- Lafayette Daily Advertiser (via Columbia Tribune): Erik Hall wrote a game preview, including the betting lines, and provided some links to other LSU Football stories from the LA perspective.
- Columbia Missourian: Andy Kimball wrote about the new depth chart and about this weekend’s game being moved to Columbia.
- The Maneater: Jack Soble shared his five takeaways about the Tennessee game, featuring problematic drops and an emerging quarterback.
- Truman’s Tales: Christian McDonald wrote about the studs & duds from the Tennessee game.
- Saturday Down South: Sydney Hunte covered the news that freshman DL Montra Edwards is set to enter the transfer portal.
- PowerMizzou: Mitchell Forde covered Drink’s press conference and the new depth chart release, and Gabe posted an unofficial scholarship chart. Mitchell and Gabe also wrote about the game change.
- High praise for former Rock Bridge Bruins players, Martez Manuel and Tre Williams!
Watch: #Mizzou HC Eli Drinkwitz had high praise for former @rbhsbruinbear standouts @martezmanuel13 and Tre Williams.— Andrew Kauffman (@AndrewABC17) October 6, 2020
"If everybody on our team would play as hard as those two guys - we'd be in a lot better situation consistently, and I love the effort that they play with." pic.twitter.com/Chwk4doYV6
Other Mizzou Sports
- I love Mizzou’s softball coach, Larissa Anderson.
“It's not all about talent. It's about dependability, consistency, and being able to improve. If you work hard and you're coachable, and you understand what you need to do, you can improve.” #OwnIt— Larissa Anderson (@CoachLarissaA) October 6, 2020
- Fall Ball continues, and Mizzou Baseball continues to look for ways to get better.
Another day to get better❗️#Mizzou fall ball continues in Mid-Missouri #C2E ⚾️ pic.twitter.com/bGQMiCpC8M— Mizzou Baseball (@MizzouBaseball) October 6, 2020
- Love to see Mizzou athletes (and any athlete, for that matter) speaking up about their mental health. It’s so so so so (so) important, and it DOES NOT MAKE YOU WEAK TO TALK ABOUT IT. Thank you for sharing your story, Dariana.
There is strength in vulnerability. Don’t let anybody tell you differently.— dariana hollingsworth (@dariana_nahir) October 5, 2020
This is my story.
And here I am, a year later, having overcome the trial. I am forever grateful for my peers, my staff, my family, and most of all, God #H3H https://t.co/JDEDMn2L1l
- Mizzou Hoops asked fans about their sneaker game. The top left ones belong to X-Man, I’d bet, as he seems to have a thing for novelty kicks— last year he wore Nike Kyrie x SpongeBobs. My favorite response to the question was from Alex Wade (below)... I MISS KASH! (sigh)
October 6, 2020
- Also, we at Rock M neglected to share this yesterday, but a very happy (belated) birthday to Coach Cornell Mann! Happy birthday, Coach Corn!
Happy Birthday to assistant coach Cornell Mann! Hope you have a great day, Corn @8mileCorn | #TTFL pic.twitter.com/9uKEDolylE— Mizzou Hoops (@MizzouHoops) October 5, 2020
Mizzou in the Pros
- According to Albert Breer, DeMarkus Acy had a tryout with Seattle! Hoping it went well. (Side note: also hoping once the Texans get their Covid stuff under control that they will reschedule KB’s tryout).
- Former Mizzou pitcher Peter Fairbanks picked up a save in MLB Playoffs, according to Peter Baugh of The Athletic.
Former #Mizzou hurler Peter Fairbanks picks up a playoff save for the Rays. He made it a bit scary against the Yankees but got it done.— Peter Baugh (@Peter_Baugh) October 7, 2020
- Jon Sundvold approves of #PowerPete.
Power Pete! Yes Sir!! @shano731 @MizzouBaseball @raysbaseball pic.twitter.com/mBJcbEQKnL— jon sundvold (@JonSundvold) October 7, 2020
- Another former Mizzou player, and current Padres manager, Jayce Tingler, was ejected from Tuesday nights game for some... colorful language, according to Bennett Durando. HA!
SD Padres manager and #Mizzou alum Jayce Tingler is ejected from NLDS Game 1 after dropping numerous F-bombs on TV.— Bennett Durando (@BennettDurando) October 7, 2020
If you’re looking to sign up for ESPN+, Rock M Nation now has an affiliate link: click Here for ESPN+ Now!
If you’re looking to sign up for a new streaming service, you can try FuboTV: click HERE for FuboTV access — FuboTV now has ESPN, CBS, FS1 and more sports channels.
(** RockMNation has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though RockMNation may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate links.**)