Bad Boys, Bad Boys, whatcha gonna do, whatcha gonna do when the SEC comes for you?
Y’all.... what is wrong with me?!? First off, I was planning to write a lovely hoops update based on The Athletic’s awesome “State of the Program” article on Mizzou by CJ Moore, and look at what I’m talking about?!? Freakin football. Sigh. And secondly, I’m not sorry about the title of this post. I am nothing if not cheesy.
Don’t want to follow the rules? Well, the SEC is taking action. Mississippi State, A&M, LSU, Georgia — I’m sure some others — I’m looking at you. The conference office is coming for you and it WON’T be pretty.
According to this report by ESPN’s Alex Scarborough, SEC Commish Greg Sankey isn’t playing around. Coaches who fail to follow the task force’s requirements will be assessed a $100k reduction in conference revenue. Keep it up? There goes another $100k. And it continues from there, with more fines and possible suspensions. From a memo, obtained by the network:
“The imposition of any reduction in Conference revenue for failure to substantially comply with or repeated disregard of the SEC masking requirement will be determined at the Commissioner’s discretion,” the memo states. “In addition, individuals who fail to comply with or disregard the masking requirement could be subject to penalties, including but not limited to, suspension for a specified period.”
I can’t imagine Athletic Directors will take too kindly to their coaches costing the school money, so they’d best get it together.
Speaking of coaches that DO believe in sharing results and following the damn safety rules, Drinkwitz said on his radio show Thursday that they did have one positive test will lead to 7 people missing in action on Saturday. From Dave Matter, and this doesn’t sound great, y’all...
Mizzou has not disclosed names of the players out for the LSU game, but Drinkwitz's comment on his radio show - read the story below - indicated fans will notice who's not out there Saturday. https://t.co/T5pATsxn7e— Dave Matter (@Dave_Matter) October 8, 2020
Close contacts of positive cases must quarantine for a minimum of 14 days, meaning those six players will also miss the Vanderbilt game on Oct. 17.
Damn. That truly sucks. A winnable game and they can’t play... 2020 is THE WORST.
On to the links! Don’t forget to wake up early, get your fall beverages ready, and settle in for the game at 11! I will be at work and not enjoying anything but water, but will surely be listening in my one faux airpod. M-I-Z.
Yesterday at Rock M
- Sammy did a Q&A with Zachary Junda from And the Valley Shook.
- Aaron analyzed three matchups he’s looking at in the game this weekend.
- Coming up: A LOT! We’ll have uniform reveals, pregamin’, an editorial by BK, and so much more. AND there’s a new DIVE CUTS before Sam heads off on vacay— Sam and Matt have really been slacking off, you guys.
- St. Louis Post-Dispatch:Dave wrote about how LSU’s retooled lineup is ‘giving Mizzou sleepless nights.’ He also held his weekly chat that looked like mostly football questions at first glance (I didn’t read it yet). Hochman wrote a great story about Nick Bolton, and how high of a bar he’s setting for the team, but his teammates need follow suit.
- KC Star: Souichi covered Drink’s radio show appearance and the Covid/contact tracing news, as well as the one Mizzou position that has been a (good) surprise this season.
- Columbia Tribune: In Blum’s Banter, Eric Blum wrote about how Mizzou is staying put for the game this weekend.
- Lafayette Daily Advertiser (via Columbia Tribune): Glen Guilbeau wrote about LSU’s plans to make itself stay high and dry and come away with a win in Columbia.
- Saturday Down South: Adam Spencer detailed 4 numbers he’d like to see Connor Bazelak hit on Saturday vs. the purple Tigers.
- Tiger’s Tales: Christian McDonald asked, “Is Connor Bazelak is the answer?”, and Rilee Stapleton asked, “Can Mizzou can pull off an upset against the (other) Tigers?”.
- PowerMizzou (free): Mitchell Forde wrote broke down Mizzou’s struggles against the run. Gabe & Mitchell were back with new hot football taeks in their Blowing Smoke Presented by Weston Tobacco series.
- Rivals.com/PowerMizzou ($$): Gabe, on the PM message boards, talked about Drinkwitz’s news that 7 players would be out of Saturday’s game. Sean Williams posted highlights of Travion Ford’s game vs Parkway West.
- According to Max Baker of the Missourian, the capacity for Saturday’s game will be 11,700 and they are giving away 1000 tickets to Mizzou students for FREE. Season ticket holders, if they wanted to reserve their tickets, by the way, have to pay for them.
- New week. New time to get it going
- 5-star WR out of St. Louis, Luther Burden, is set to make his school announcement tomorrow, while 3-star Khristian Zachary will announce his school of choice on October 15.
- Really hoping Shawn Robinson sticks this out...
Drinkwitz discussed QB Shawn Robinson on his radio show. He said opportunities are rarely linear, and that he encouraged Robinson to stay the course. "We're excited about his opportunity he's going to get during the game."— Peter Baugh (@Peter_Baugh) October 8, 2020
Robinson will be second string this week behind Bazelak.
Other Mizzou Sports News
- The Maneater: Joshua Reneau wrote about sickness, surgery, and Mizzou Soccer’s search for a goal keeper.
- Mizzou Soccer continues their season this evening against Tennessee. You can catch the game on the SECN at 6pm. (MUTigers.com)
- Continuing with the soccer theme, Mizzou Athletics continues to post mental health awareness videos from its athletes, and they are tremendous. This time, we’re hearing from Morquess Oliphant, who was afraid to ask for help. These are all MUST-WATCHES.
(Special Note: I’ll have the first of a two-parter on mental health and performance, imposter syndrome, and its effects on Black athletes and coaches on Thursday)
#MentalHealthAwareness— Mizzou Athletics (@MizzouAthletics) October 8, 2020
feat. @MizzouSoccer senior @marcusthegirl
“Looking back, I don't know why I was so scared to reach out, but when I finally did it was such a freeing moment. It was like I was taking a breath of fresh air."#MIZ l #ShowMe pic.twitter.com/SxSPxrsvvt
- As mentioned above, THIS is what I’ve been waiting for! CJ Moore of The Athletic’s annual State of the Program piece, and it did not disappoint, calling them Cuonzo’s best team on paper since Year 1. The Tigers are looking to play at an accelerated pace and 10-deep, with not one player averaging over 30 minutes. There’s SO MUCH more to it than this, and I highly suggest checking it out (if you’re a subscriber).
- One tidbit from the piece— Parker Braun was a hot topic!
- X-Man.... looking good out there!
- Mizzou Hoops. Tall.
- Ross Steelman of Mizzou Men’s Golf turned in a strong performance (T-13) at the Blessings Collegiate Invitational, which featured, among others, all other SEC schools. (MUTigers.com)
- Congrats to MU Volleyball’s Kylie Deberg and Tyanna Omazic for their Preseason All-SEC selections! (MUTigers.com)
- Coach Pingeton’s squad is working hard.
Other Interesting Mizzou-adjacent/Sports News
- In sad news, rest in peace to former Mizzou Tigers football player, Castine Bridges, who played a key role on the 2007-08 teams.
Thoughts tonight with Castine’s family, friends & former teammates. Key starter on those 07-08 Mizzou teams. https://t.co/HHxr5arJPJ— Dave Matter (@Dave_Matter) October 9, 2020
- Mizzou has received a 5.45 million dollar grant to help increase literacy efforts in Missouri, according to this report.
- In SEC News courtesy of Gary Smit at the Florida Union-Times, Florida... NO. This ain’t it. Let’s just let EVERYONE into the stadium! Even if they had 3,306 new cases on Thursday. No biggie. I can’t see how anything could go wrong with this. (screams into void)
- According to this article in The Athletic ($$) by CJ Moore and Dana O’Neil, Wichita State coach Gregg Marshall is under investigation by the school for alleged misconduct. I must confess, NOT the Kansas school I thought this would be happening to.
- Nick DePaola of The Undefeated wrote about the Milwaukee Bucks’ Sterling Brown, who is using his new Puma deal for good— fighting against racial injustice, police brutality (remember, he was the victim of this himself), and financial burdens facing the Black community.
If you’re looking to sign up for ESPN+, Rock M Nation now has an affiliate link: click Here for ESPN+ Now!
If you’re looking to sign up for a new streaming service, you can try FuboTV: click HERE for FuboTV access — FuboTV now has ESPN, CBS, FS1 and more sports channels.
(** RockMNation has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though RockMNation may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate links.**)