Mizzou Hoops’ first win of the season
...is obviously that we won the coin flip and the Braggin Rights: Campus Edition will be played in beautiful Mizzou Arena. I would also counter that another (earlier) win might that a bunch of the players already had Covid it sounds like from previous conversations with Coach Martin, so they are not likely to get it again?
— Cuonzo Martin (@CuonzoMartin) November 13, 2020
HOME SWEET HOME— Mizzou Hoops (@MizzouHoops) November 13, 2020
Braggin’ Rights is coming to CoMo. pic.twitter.com/drjs3hM9vs
Anyway... Did everyone catch the video? It really got me SUPER psyched for the season, like it’s really going to happen (pleaseeeee?) and I’m really going to sit in the socially distanced arena and get to watch the Tigers. I’m filled with absolute JOY. Granted, it would be more joy if I knew that one of the games I would be attending would be the Braggin Rights game in CoMo, but alas, we can’t have it all. And the way things are going, I’ll take anything they’ll give me. I am super glad the families will get to go, at least, and I’ll happily take off work to watch my favorite game of the year.
This will be the 51st meeting of Mizzou and Illinois on the court. While the Illini lead the series, 32-18, the Tigers have won the last 2 meetings, including last year’s 63-56 win last year.
In other Mizzou Hoops news, the Tigers were picked to finish 10th in the SEC coaches poll, and Dru Smith was named to the Preseason All-SEC Second Team. Rock M twitter (i.e. Sam Snelling) was SHOCKED, I tell you. Witness:
this is a joke... it's about where i expected Mizzou to land in the media poll.— ROCK Mask NATION (@RockMNation) November 12, 2020
On to the Links! Have a happy Mizzou Football-less weekend!
Yesterday at Rock M
- Nate (the Great) shared his deepest feelings about Covid. “Damn you,” he says!
- Producer Mitch recapped the newest BTBS pod with Nate and BK... AND special guest Nathan Lawrence of DawgSports!
- COMING UP: A new DIVE CUTS (cheers wildly) with Sam & Matt, and some football goodness from BK & Aaron.
- St. Louis Post-Dispatch: Dave held his weekly chat with a healthy mix of football and hoops talk. (note: Dave is a saint for dealing with some of these people, good lord)
- PowerMizzou (free): Gabe & Mitchell were back with new hot football taeks (and one involving the Masters) in their Blowing Smoke Presented by Weston Tobacco series.
- USA Today: Dan Wolken gave his opinion on the current state of SEC Covid-related hell, and if the commish is ‘troubled’, we must listen.
- Congrats on your nomination, Kobie!
- Absolutely LOVE to hear this about LDW, one of my fave former Tigers! Also, this is one of my favorite Mizzou gifs, and I loved that he shared this.
- KC Star: Souichi discussed the 10th place coaches poll results and Dru Smith’s preseason accolades in his new piece. There’s also a video link of Cuonzo talking about the new recruiting class if you haven’t seen it. He also recapped the mini coin flip show, if you’re not into watching the video posted above.
- St. Louis Post-Dispatch: Matter took a deep dive into the Tigers’ five-man recruiting class, which is led by DeSmet’s Yaya Keita, who was just admitted to the School of Engineering, which is super cool! He also took care of writing about the unique coin flip (thanks, Andy Katz!) and what led to the teams deciding to play— the agreement was contingent on being closed to fans, according to Illinois AD Whitman. Finally, he also covered the preseason coaches poll/SEC All-Conference results.
- PowerMizzou: Mitchell Forde posted a Zoom video of Kobe, Drew, and Parker meeting with some members of the local media.
- CBS Sports: Matt Norlander took at a look at Bubbleville, which will take place at the CT casino, Mohegan Sun, and feature Mizzou (as soon as they get contracts signed).
- In a powerful opinion piece, “Let’s Drop the Charade and Pay College Athletes,” the New York Times adapted a piece from the upcoming autobiography of the late Georgetown coach, John Thompson, Jr.
- That’s some hustle by sophomore Hayley Frank. DAMN.
Other Sports News
- The Maneater: Grace Chicoine wrote about Sarah Chapman’s end to her Missouri cross-country career with a podium finish at the SEC Championships.
- St. Louis Post-Dispatch: Dave and BenFred teamed up for a new episode of their Eye on the Tigers podcast, where they discussed the whirlwind week in Mizzou Athletics.
- Julissa Cisneros of Mizzou Soccer was named Second Team All-SEC for the first time. According to the article at MUTigers.com, Cisneros scored four points on the season (one goal, two assists), while starting all seven matches at forward.
- Soccer also signed A LOT of new players, so head to their twitter to check ‘em all out.
- Steve Beiser will be a part of the National All Sports Coaches Summit, which will be held virtually today!
Other Local/Regional News
- Ryan Barich of The Maneater covered the recent news that Mizzou will be moving to online courses after Thanksgiving break, and they are encouraging students to stay home until the start of second semester in mid-January.
- Jeremy Kohler of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch also covered the news of classes being moved online for the few weeks between Thanksgiving and Winter Break.
- With COVID cases continually on the rise, it looks like St. Louis County is putting together stricter stay at home orders starting Nov 17, according to this piece from KSDK Channel 5.
If you’re looking to sign up for ESPN+, Rock M Nation now has an affiliate link: click Here for ESPN+ Now!
If you’re looking to sign up for a new streaming service, you can try FuboTV: click HERE for FuboTV access — FuboTV now has ESPN, CBS, FS1 and more sports channels.
(** RockMNation has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though RockMNation may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate nks.**)