Muschamp out, Bobo in ahead of Mayor’s Cup
IT’S MAYOR’S CUP WEEK, Y’ALL, CAN YOU FEEL THE HEAT?!
As if Mizzou and South Carolina’s “rivalry” couldn’t get more interesting, the Gamecocks went and threw a wrench into the works one week out. After another disappointing showing that dropped them to 2-5, the university decided, “Eh, who cares about buyouts,” and threw Will Muschamp on his ass.
If there’s anything that looks bad in an era where employees are being furloughed all over the school, it’s paying a guy $15 million to go away. For what it’s worth, South Carolina fans seem happy!
If facing teams with interim head coaches seems familiar to Missouri fans, it should be. It’s happened a few times over the past few years.
Off the top of my head, Mizzou was also the first opponent after midseason firings at LSU (Les Miles 2016) and Florida (McElwain 2017).— Dave Matter (@Dave_Matter) November 16, 2020
Per usual, we’ll have more on Mizzou’s upcoming match up with South Carolina — including how the coaching change could affect play — throughout the week.
Yesterday at Rock M
- Here’s your weekly Mizzou in the NFL recap:
— It was a big day for the Cleveland Browns’ defense, which held DeShaun Watson and the Texans to 7 points. Sheldon Richardson played a part, logging six tackles, along with a sack and two QB hits.
— No way around saying that it was a tough day for our guy Drew Lock. In the Broncos’ 37-12 loss, Lock went 23 for 47 (yikes) for only 257 yards (double yikes) with 4 interceptions (you guessed it — quadruple yikes!) Lock also lost a fumble that he later recovered. Not the golden boy’s finest hour in the Mile High City.
- Congrats to senior Larry Rountree III, who has accepted his invite to play in the Senior Bowl!
It’s NFL Sunday! Please officially welcome @LRountreeIII from @MizzouFootball to the 2021 @Reeses Senior Bowl!!! #TheDraftStartsInMOBILE #BestOfTheBest@JimNagy_SB @PaniniAmerica #RatedRookie pic.twitter.com/kGVk3YVvxw— Reese's Senior Bowl (@seniorbowl) November 15, 2020
There’s been some speculation on whether or not Rountree would use the frozen eligibility this year to return to Missouri for a fifth go-round. This would suggest he’s looking at a potential NFL career in the not-too-distant future. He’s still got a few more games to play in Columbia, though, so enjoy him while you can!
- ESPN is doing another round of bowl projections, and they’ve got Missouri headed to Las Vegas!
- Saturday Down South is also projecting bowls, and they’ve got Missouri all the way in the Outback Bowl in early January.
- A big name is coming off the recruiting board soon...
I will be committing December 4th.— isaac thompson (@isaacthompson__) November 15, 2020
Thompson is a 4-star safety out of Saint Louis University High and one piece of a big St. Louis class in 2022. Rivals and 247 analysts all predict Thompson is trending toward Michigan right now, but the Wolverines are a mess right now and Jim Harbaugh is likely feeling some major heat on his seat. There’s no saying die in this one... even if he commits elsewhere in a few weeks.
- At PowerMizzou, all readers can access a Mizzou Hoops notebook from Mitchell Forde, in which Cuonzo Martin discusses the many challenges ahead for the season. Subscribers can also get access to a Q&A from Sean Williams with a promising 2022 WR recruit out of St. Louis.
- Dave Matter wrote about Mizzou’s line play in the 2020 season, pointing to improvements as the potential key to moving on up in the SEC.
- If you’re looking to sign up for ESPN+, Rock M Nation now has an affiliate link: click Here for ESPN+ Now!
- If you’re looking to sign up for a new streaming service, you can try FuboTV: click HERE for FuboTV access — FuboTV now has ESPN, CBS, FS1 and more sports channels.
(** RockMNation has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though RockMNation may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate links.**)