Who’s hyped for some Women’s Hoops?!?
It all kicks off tonight at 6pm against North Alabama, You can catch the game in person (tickets still available for $10 at MUTigers.com) or on the SEC Network alternate.
Coach P visited with the SEC Network to talk about the challenges of getting ready for this season, as well as providing fans with a preview.
Benjamin Hochman of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch caught up with Coach P as well, and chatted with her at length about the offseason and how the team worked together to build chemistry after a down-trodden season. Her idea? Start a book club. The team read “Chop Wood, Carry Water”, and met via Zoom every Monday to discuss. The players loved it, and many (read the article) talked about its impact on themselves and the team.
“I think we live in a day and age where you face adversity, it’s so easy to run from it. It’s (like) the transfer portals (in college athletics). So how do you navigate tough times and really stay true to who you said you were when it was easy to say that? And so, it just created so much great dialogue for our team. … We’ve had deep conversations about a lot of different things that go way beyond basketball. And so, I saw so much growth in just that chemistry piece.”
There won’t be too much rest for the Tigers, as they head to St. Louis on Sunday for a 2pm matchup against SLU. You can catch that game on ESPN+.
On to the Links! Go Tigers!
Yesterday at Rock M
- Sammy interviewed Anchor of Gold’s Tom Stephenson.
- Sam is back with a STUDY HALL!!!! (my favorite piece on Rock M for years)
- Sam also got really really really really excited about the uniform reveal.
- Aaron was back again with his “Three & Out” series, this time for Vanderbilt.
- Fearless Leader Sam previewed the #8 team in the SEC: the Arkansas Razorbacks.
- COMING UP: the #7 team in the SEC Hoops preview and a Pregamin
- IN CASE YOU MISSED IT: Do read Matt’s extensive look at Mizzou’s offensive evolution.
- St. Louis Post-Dispatch: Matter wrote that Mizzou’s newest scholarship player has been a “giver” for 3 years.
- PowerMizzou (free): Gabe and Mitchell were back with some hot taeks (mostly football) in their newest Blowin Smoke, Presented by Weston Tobacco series.
- KC Star: Souichi covered how walk-on Cannon York revealed to his parents that he’d been awarded a scholarship.
- Saturday Down South: Steve Marik gave 5 expectations for Saturday’s game against Vanderbilt.
- MUTigers.com: The athletic department has put together a cool digital primer for Saturday’s game. Check it out!
- This is a great story about Aldon Smith. I’m glad to see he’s getting his life back on track. He’s so very talented. Here’s a link to the story in the Dallas News.
A Marine gave his Purple Heart medal to Cowboys DE Aldon Smith. He wanted to recognize that Smith "experienced the misery, the hurt, the pain that we ...go through. He has that courage to get back up and not give up.”— Michael Gehlken (@GehlkenNFL) November 25, 2020
Aldon Smith's story: https://t.co/wCZtIR5aTZ
- Former Mizzou OL Dylan Spencer has made his decision; he will transfer to Jackson State to play for Deion Sanders. Best of luck to the young man in the future!
- Look who made it to SportsCenter!
- Great stat about Dru from Mizzou Fact Keeper, Tom Orf.
Dru Smith 16 points/6 assists/4 steals/5 rebounds vs. Oral Roberts-1st Tiger since Phil Pressey in 2012 11/22/12 Stanford 18-8-4-5— Tom Orf (@MU4124) November 26, 2020
- Love their facial expressions in this photo. I am so thankful to have basketball BACK!!!
- St. Louis Post-Dispatch: Matter wrote about how Tilmon showcased his value in the Hoops season opener.
- Columbia Missourian: Tyler Hollins wrote about how JTilly, the birthday boy, showcased maturity on the court on Wednesday.
- The Maneater: Mason Arneson detailed several things that the Tigers should celebrate from their season opener. He also wrote about what the Tigers are striving to improve upon this season.
- PowerMizzou (free): Gabe offered some commentary on how watching basketball live after 8 months and 18 days away is just... different this year. I highly suggest it. As someone who was there, it was.... different.
- KC Star: Souichi had a couple of Hoops stories for your Thanksgiving reading, including looking at what went right on Wednesday night, as well as what we learned by watching the opener.
- Cool graphic shared from Coach Martin here. Love this team.
Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours, from the Mizzou Hoops family. Be safe & enjoy your day! pic.twitter.com/LaXDRlbuId— Cuonzo Martin (@CuonzoMartin) November 26, 2020
- Awww, poor kansas. Teehee.
Other Mizzou Sports
- Volleyball took two games over a young Ole Miss squad despite being off for 15 days and only traveling with 9 players, according to Sydney Dixon of The Maneater.
- Happy Thanksgiving from Mizzou Athletics!
- MUTigers.com put out a cool video of the athletes saying what they are thankful for.
If you’re looking to sign up for ESPN+, Rock M Nation now has an affiliate link: click Here for ESPN+ Now!
If you’re looking to sign up for a new streaming service, you can try FuboTV: click HERE for FuboTV access — FuboTV now has ESPN, CBS, FS1 and more sports channels.
(** RockMNation has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though RockMNation may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate nks.**)