COVID-19 stalls one hoops program, while the other continues
Up until Sunday, it was a successful first week for Mizzou Basketball, both men and women. The men throttled Oral Roberts in their home opener, while the women rode two monster performances from Hayley Frank and Aijha Blackwell to an 18-point win in their opener. But with COVID-19 leveling whole basketball programs by the day, it was a mystery when we’d next see either of them on the court. Monday brought both good and bad news.
For the men, the question was answered in the form of a tweet, with the program simply announcing it will have a midweek matchup with No. 20 Oregon in Nebraska.
The Ducks have long been rumored to be on the Tigers’ schedule, with the final hangup of location and date having to be decided. The two teams were able to iron something out, and Missouri will add a quality opponent to their resume.
On the flip side, the Mizzou women will be off the court until December 13th at the earliest.
It’s an unfortunate turn of events for a team that really exploded out of the gate. Not just because of the fact that someone in the program is suffering from a deadly virus, but because the team won’t be able to log some more game time before SEC play comes around.
Here’s to hoping whoever isn’t well recovers swiftly and we get back to watching the Tigers cash in on some of that massive potential.
Yesterday at Rock M
- The Good, Bad and Ugly: Vanderbilt
- PODCAST: Mizzou Blanks Vanderbilt 41-0
- SEC Hoops Preview: #6 Missouri Tigers
- MV3: Rountree carries home the top spot after three-touchdown day
- BREAKING: Mizzou Basketball to play Oregon in Omaha on Wednesday
- Connor Bazelak topped 300 yards on 30+ completions last Saturday, which was good enough to merit SEC Freshman of the Week. It’s the second time he’s won the award this season.
- Dave Matter looks back on one of the biggest moments in Tiger history that happened 20 years ago... the hiring of Gary Pinkel.
- Souichi Terada is looking ahead to the myriad of storylines present in this year’s Battle Line Rivalry... well, the one storyline anyway.
- Subscribers at PowerMizzou can get some insight into the Pro Football Focus numbers from last week and follow it up with Gabe’s Monday morning thoughts.
- I won’t tell you where because of the paywall, but Nick Bolton may or may not make an appearance in this NFL Mock Draft from The Athletic’s Dane Brugler. Peter Baugh also shared his final thoughts from Mizzou’s win over Vanderbilt.
- Speaking of Nick Bolton, he’s one of 16 finalists for the Dick Butkus Award, which is awarded to the NCAA’s top linebacker (in case you couldn’t guess by the name).
- Mizzou found itself amongst a sea of blue-bloods in the Top 10 for an elite WR recruit yesterday...
Worth noting: Williams attends the same high school as current WR JJ Hester.
- If you’re looking to sign up for ESPN+, Rock M Nation now has an affiliate link: click Here for ESPN+ Now!
- If you’re looking to sign up for a new streaming service, you can try FuboTV: click HERE for FuboTV access — FuboTV now has ESPN, CBS, FS1 and more sports channels.
(** RockMNation has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though RockMNation may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate links.**)