Nick Bolton: A Bad Dude (in the good sense)
Linebacker Nick Bolton on his on-field mindset: "I'm the baddest S.O.B. on the field."— Peter Baugh (@Peter_Baugh) December 2, 2020
He's not wrong.
I just had to lead with this. Nick Bolton seems like a fantastic human being on and off the field, and for him to make this statement, and according to Peter Baugh, just so nonchalantly in the stream of his conversation, is amazing. Man, I’m going to miss him next year.
In more football news, Vahe Gregorian of the KC Star wrote about rivalries, stating that while Mizzou still isn’t playing the “Jay-somethings”, they’ve got some added spice to the Arkansas rivalry. Calling the Arkansas rivalry “somewhere between the embryonic and contrived stage,” talked with Coach Drinkwitz about rivalries in general, and the importance of them.
According to Gregorian’s story, when the teams first met in 2014, that was their first regular season meeting in 51 years. “Rivalries,” he said, “take time and plot twists and a certain texture and relevance to make it matter more.”
This year, of course, takes special relevance, since it was just one year when Mizzou beat Arkansas and Odom within 24 hours. From Drinkwitz, on what he told the team:
Such attachments need to be rendered no different than they might be for “any of us who’ve gone against people we care about and have feelings for … At the end of the day, when you’re playing a game, it’s about the people in (your) locker room, (the) Mizzou on your chest and what we’re trying to do as a team.”
This piece is a must-read. Vahe has this way with words that is just... incredible.
And finally, the SEC Network took viewers inside the Mizzou-Vanderbilt game on Tuesday night. I’m sure it’s available to watch online, but here’s an excerpt. Every time he talks, I like him more and more.
"How you gonna represent the front of the jersey? How you gonna represent the back of the jersey? How you play for four quarters represents ."— SEC Network (@SECNetwork) December 1, 2020
SEC Inside: Vanderbilt vs. @MizzouFootball | Tonight at 7:30 PM ET pic.twitter.com/VpCZHRSNt1
On to the Links!
Yesterday at Rock M
- Jacob attended Drinkwitz’s newest MIZ-ZOOM football press conference.
- Kortay attended the basketball MIZ-ZOOM, which featured Zo, Javon and Kobe.
- Sam previewed the #5 team in the SEC, Mike White and the Florida Gators.
- Nate (the Great) analyzed the Vanderbilt game in a new Beyond the Box Score. Not much to analyze in an butt-whoopin.
- Josh was back with a new edition of his movie Revue: Men in Black!
- COMING UP: #4 on the SEC Hoops previews (hint: it’s a Tiger), an Oregon hoops preview, AND an Arkansas football preview... so many previews!
- St. Louis Post-Dispatch: Hochman detailed how Drinkwitz used to root for Arkansas. Now he has to play them. Ben Fred wrote how Drink’s decision to keep Walters on board was a B-I-G W.
- KC Star: Souichi wrote that Odom is coming home, but Mizzou is more focused on Senior Day and playing winning football. Also from Terada, possibly intriguing news on the “who stays an extra year” front. (the article also lists Sci Martin Jr, FYI)
Notable: Kobie Whiteside, Grant McKinniss, Jamal Brooks, Micah Wilson are not listed among seniors walking on Senior Day.— Peter Baugh (@Peter_Baugh) December 1, 2020
"That should be an indication that they're coming back," Drinkwitz said.
Some players walking have not made up their mind, Drinkwitz said.
- KOMU: Ben Arnett uploaded video of Drink’s recent presser along with a story about how Mizzou is prepared to face their former coach.
- Saturday Down South: Keith Farner wrote about how, in the final stretch of recruiting, Drinkwitz addresses flipping commitments and throwing seeds of doubt into the mix.
- PowerMizzou (free): Gabe put out a video of Drink’s newest press conference. The staff covered the release of the new depth chart. For subscribers, Sean Williams profiled Austin Uke. According to Rivals, Arkansas’ Rakeem Boyd is opting out of the rest of the season to prepare for the NFL draft.
- Time to vote for Connor Bazelak!
Hey @MizzouFootball and @MizzouAthletics fans! Vote for @BazelakConnor to be one of 16 semifinalists for the Davey O’Brien National Quarterback Award by liking this original Twitter post from @daveyobrien. Do the same on Instagram and Facebook! #FanVote #Mizzou #NewZou pic.twitter.com/wgOlmDwAM2— Davey O'Brien (@daveyobrien) December 1, 2020
- This is great from Martez Manuel, on facing Barry Odom this weekend:
Mizzou safety Martez Manuel, great perspective here on playing vs. Odom: "I love him. He gave me a shot. ... The best way to respect him is to prepare for the Razorbacks like I'm playing the Super Bowl."— Dave Matter (@Dave_Matter) December 1, 2020
- Florida safety Dontae Balfour is down to two: Mizzou and Auburn. May the best Tiger win (hint: it’s us).
- St. Louis Post-Dispatch: BenFred looked at how Mizzou and SLU had an EXCELLENT opportunity to get their series restarted, and both dropped the ball (literally and figuratively).
- Kansas.com: Taylor Eldridge Wichita State will be without a whole lotta people when Mizzou faces them on Sunday. According to Souichi Terada, the Shockers are missing 5 scholarship players and 3 walk-ons. He said it sounds like their probable starting lineup is unaffected, though.
- PowerMizzou: Mitchell Forde shared video of Cuonzo’s press conference.
- Columbia Tribune: Eric Blum previewed Mizzou’s swiftly created match up with Oregon.
- Mizzou Hoops is tracking Dru’s steals throughout this season. Can’t wait to see how the Steal Tracker progresses.
Just so we’re loud & clear. After four more steals last week...— Mizzou Hoops (@MizzouHoops) December 1, 2020
This tweet begins the Official 2020-21 Steal Tracker thread for one of the nation’s best defenders ⤵️
Bookmark it. #ToTheFinishLine pic.twitter.com/TXN1i5nSnN
- Former Tiger / Sometimes Podcast Co-Host with Sam, Jarrett Sutton, has some thoughts on college basketball officiating.
College Officials:— Jarrett Sutton (@JarrettTSutton) December 1, 2020
- Stop calling technical fouls for players that show emotion to their own bench.
- Stop telling a team bench to sit down clear across the floor, in a high leverage situation, when they’re not even crossing the sideline or baseline.
THE GAME IS NOT ABOUT YOU!
Other Mizzou Sports/Mizzou in the Pros
- Bombs away! The softball team brings back A LOT of firepower this season.
- The Broncos’ QBs are back!
The Qs are back!— Denver Broncos (@Broncos) December 1, 2020
- Speaking of Drew Lock, Sydney Hunte of Saturday Down South wrote that his mom was not happy with how the NFL has dealt with the Broncos’ COVID ordeal.
If you’re looking to sign up for ESPN+, Rock M Nation now has an affiliate link: click Here for ESPN+ Now!
If you’re looking to sign up for a new streaming service, you can try FuboTV: click HERE for FuboTV access — FuboTV now has ESPN, CBS, FS1 and more sports channels.
(** RockMNation has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though RockMNation may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate nks.**)