Still trying to wrap my brain and heart around how that win actually happened, because Tigers fans, I had some nerves. I did not have Josh-level doubts, or Matthew Harris-levels of doubts, mind you, but was a touch worried. I mean... shooting like THAT isn’t going to normally work out for you. But this Tiger team is different. They have been THROUGH IT these last couple years, and now they have veteran leadership. Experience matters!
Former Mizzou great Brian Grawer weighed in:
Sign of a mature team that trusts one another (players and coaches) to find a way to comeback and win this game when you shoot 25% from the field. It’s been a while since we can say that about a Mizzou Team. Big Win! #MIZ https://t.co/aUXvvYDy5y— Brian Grawer (@BGrawer) December 23, 2020
To the highlights!
God Bless Jeremiah Tilmon.
And God Bless this gif. I swear CDot from 810Sports in KC stole this idea from me, because I know I originally tweeted it before him (we follow each other). But I’ll allow it, because it’s my favorite Mizzou gif ever. #dancingmizzoubabyforever
AND STILL UNDEFEATED pic.twitter.com/cfFjMf7ZJG— Carrington Harrison (@cdotharrison) December 23, 2020
Undefeated, yes, but we still slid 6 spots in KenPom. I’ll take it though. A win is a win is a win, no matter how horrific.
Honestly, RJ... same.
On to the links! A full slate today!
Yesterday at Rock M
- Josh wrote about the All-SEC winners.
- He also gave us the 2020 penultimate edition of the Revue: Cats, which bombed at the Mizzou box office, earning ZERO STARS.
- Matthew J Harris told us to take a second look at Mizzou’s bench, which has powered their stellar start. MUST READ.
- Josh also previewed the Bradley game, suggesting this might not be the easiest mid-major opponent. Yeah... about that.
- Kortay had the Bradley game thread, while Jacob had the game story.
- COMING UP: BK wonders if Nick Bolton deserves to be on Mizzou’s defensive Mount Rushmore, Sam’s got a Study Hall, and Nate analyzes that hot Mississippi State mess in a new BTBS.
- St. Louis Post-Dispatch: Dave gave us a video update of his top story of 2020— The Rise of Eli Drinkwitz. He also wrote about Bazelak’s shared billing as the SEC’s top freshman. In BedFred’s 10, which is a compilation of the best of his chat, he addressed Mizzou’s QB situation.
- KC Star: On the new SportsBeat KC podcast, Blair Kerkhoff and Souichi Terada chatted about a number of different topics, including Mizzou’s bowl matchup. Souichi also uncovered how Mizzou stacked up in regards to the All-SEC coaches selections.
- The Athletic ($$): Peter Baugh conducted an exit interview with Larry Borom. (by the way, I have some guest passes to The Athletic, and I am willing to share them with you all if you want— just reach out to me on the twitter).
- Mizzou picked up the commitment of a new kicker, according to The Athletic’s Peter Baugh. Welcome, Jack Stonehouse!
- Columbia Tribune: Eric Blum covered the five All-SEC awards for the Tigers.
- USA Today (via Columbia Tribune): Glen Guilbeau detailed how the SEC and Greg Sankey handled Covid-19 for pretty much a full season.
- PowerMizzou: For subscribers, Sean Williams reported that Mizzou is in the Top 4 for 2022 DE, Tyson Ford, and southeast recruiting analyst Brad Simmons graded the SEC’s early signing period.
- MUTigers.com: Harrison Mevis, the Thiccer, was named to the Freshman All-American team by The Athletic.
- Love this. Dionte “Boo” Smith was awarded a scholarship Tuesday. I still remember my confusion when I was listening to Mike Kelly calling a game and he kept saying Boo Smith... and I had no idea this person was on the team. How far I’ve (we’ve?) come! Congrats, Boo!
A lot of wonderful things coming from Mizzou football today❤️ n Sense my mom keep telling me to do it. I guess it’s a good day to say (I’ve been blessed with a scholarship) Thanks to @CoachDrinkwitz and @MizzouFootball I come to far to give up now. Thank u LORD , Tra1️⃣(31)— BooBoo Smith (@B_Smith400) December 22, 2020
- Former Mizzou OC, Dave Christensen, is retiring from coaching. Best wishes, coach!
- Associated Press: In today’s ‘Dan Mullen is the WORST’ news, it looks like the Gators have run into some NCAA trouble for recruiting. But of course they only get probation out of it, and I don’t recall ever hearing that Mullen had a show cause this past fall.... SMDH
- Choose Your Own Bradley Preview: Souichi Terada (KC Star). Dave Matter (St. Louis Post-Dispatch). Mitchell Forde (Power Mizzou).
- KC Star: Souchi told us how Mizzou basketball survived Bradley’s upset bid and Tilmon came up huge down the stretch, and he took readers inside the game winning play.
- St. Louis Post-Dispatch: Dave covered how Mizzou survived Bradley’s upset bid on Tilmon’s late game heroics. And this is super cool because it’s a game I will remember my whole life— On it’s 27 year anniversary (!!!) of THE best Braggin’ Rights game of the universe, Bernie Miklasz recalled the unbelievable event and checked in with some players/coaches. What.a.delight.
- Columbia Missourian: Joel Lorenzi recapped Mizzou’s win in a tight, low-scoring affair while Tyler Hollins wrote how Pinson’s aggressive mentality allows MU to rally in comeback win over Bradley. Good stuff.
- Check out the game recap from MUTigers.com.
- Power Mizzou: Gabe provided a post game report for Tuesday night’s thriller. He also shared the post game presser video from Cuonzo, Jeremiah, and X.
- Columbia Tribune: Eric Blum detailed three things we learned by the Bradley win.
- In other SEC Hoops news, Florida forward and Preseason SEC Player of the Year, Keyontae Johnson, was released from the hospital, according to the Associated Press. So glad he’s okay!!
- In funny and adorable news, strength coach Nicodemus Christopher’s son is already doing baby planks. You love to see it.
Proud Father Moment!— Nicodemus C. (@nicodemus_c) December 21, 2020
If anyone knows of any fitness competitions with a 6 month old division please contact us pic.twitter.com/ux2pPvhFLG
Other Mizzou Sports
- St. Louis Post-Dispatch: Dave Matter, in a year-end piece, wrote that after an uncertain start, Mizzou sports finished strong in 2020.
- Columbia Missourian: According to staff reports, Mizzou Wrestling held their annual black and gold scrimmage on Tuesday evening. (more info on MUTigers.com)
- Columbia Missourian: According to staff reports, Missouri Baseball’s Brandt Belk was named Collegiate Baseball Preseason Second-Team All-American! Congrats, Brandt!
- Mizzou commit and Jeff City native Kara Daly excels as a two sport athlete! Congrats on joining the 1000 point club!
If you’re looking to sign up for ESPN+, Rock M Nation now has an affiliate link: click Here for ESPN+ Now!
If you’re looking to sign up for a new streaming service, you can try FuboTV: click HERE for FuboTV access — FuboTV now has ESPN, CBS, FS1 and more sports channels.
(** RockMNation has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though RockMNation may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate nks.**)