We’re number 12! We’re number 12!
Now that football season is officially over, it’s time to fully embrace basketball season. That’s a thing we’re all a little more willing to do nowadays, since the Tigers actually have a good team!
Ahead of the Tigers SEC opener on Wednesday against Tennessee, the team took yet another leap in the AP Poll to No. 12. Missouri debuted in the Top 20 after their Braggin’ Rights victory and have slowly been climbing while they’ve maintained an undefeated record throughout non-conference play.
There are still some folks who don’t believe, however. Only one writer left them off the AP ballot completely and...
While it’s probably unlikely this writer is actually under-ranking the Tigers because of a perceived rivalry, his argument as to why he doesn’t have them ranked is pretty flimsy. Sam explained it pretty well on his Twitter account.
Meanwhile Colorado's (ranked 18th by Jesse) RAW efficiency margin is +28 over 100 possessions... with 7 games played. 3 over sub-200 KP teams (avg win marg 33), 3 sub 100 KP teams (avg win marg 17) and 1 game vs a top 10 team (9 pt loss)— Sam Snelling (@SamTSnelling) December 29, 2020
these aren't perfect numbers, because there's still too much preseason factored in... but it illustrates how Colorado was able to move up to 24th, while Mizzou has 'lagged' around 40th... They've played better teams, and haven't beaten them by enough.— Sam Snelling (@SamTSnelling) December 29, 2020
There’s a longer thread here with even more context. But it you’re in a TL;DR read, the beat writer in question is divorcing Mizzou’s advanced numbers from their context, which includes a schedule that includes more than a few good teams. So while the Tigers aren’t crushing their opposition, it’s more than likely because of the quality of opponents they’ve faced.
Time will tell whether or not the Tigers are truly a borderline Top 10 team in college basketball. But to say definitively they’re not one of the Top 25 seems a bit short-sighted.
Yesterday at Rock M
- For the first time since Kentrell Brothers in 2015, Mizzou has an All-American. On Monday, Nick Bolton was officially named to the Associated Press’ All-American Second Team.
- There have been some hurt feelings over the Music City Bowl being cancelled on Wednesday, so Dave Matter wrote a short article addressing some of the rumors being spread online.
- PowerMizzou subscribers can read Gabe’s Monday morning thoughts and an analysis of recent 2022 commit Ja’Marion Wayne from his high school coach.
- Another senior contributor has officially confirmed his return to Mizzou in 2021
- Another tough break for the women’s basketball program, as they’ll face another game cancellation due to COVID-19 issues (though not within their own team this time.)
- It didn’t matter as his team got shellacked by the Bills, but Terez Hall logged 4 tackles on Monday Night Football for the Patriots.
- Jordan Clarkson chipped in 16 points and a few extra contributions in the Jazz’s 110-109 win over the Thunder. Just west of the Thunder-Jazz matchup, Michael Porter Jr. added 14 points (and 9 rebounds) to the Nuggets total of 124, which was enough to put them over the Rockets.
- Congratulations to future Tiger Travion Ford, who was named First Team All-State by the members of the Missouri media.
- If you’re looking to sign up for ESPN+, Rock M Nation now has an affiliate link: click Here for ESPN+ Now!
- If you’re looking to sign up for a new streaming service, you can try FuboTV: click HERE for FuboTV access — FuboTV now has ESPN, CBS, FS1 and more sports channels.
(** RockMNation has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though RockMNation may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate links.**)