Well, that was fun!
Wednesday night started an all-important week for the Mizzou Athletics program as the basketball team had some huge opportunities to build an early NCAA Tournament resume with a neutral site game against No. 21 Oregon, and then a road game at Wichita State on Sunday. On the football side, SLUH 2022 safety Isaac Thompson announces his college decision on Friday, and of course there’s the Battle Line Rivalry on Saturday.
How about starting this week off with a Quadrant 1 win? Yes, that’s right. Cuonzo Martin and the Tigers capitalized on the huge opportunity with an eye-opening 83-75 win over No 21. Oregon in Omaha, Nebraska, exorcising the 2012 Norfolk State demons (sorry). Yeah, Missouri probably got Oregon at the right time as it was the Ducks’ first game of their season, but it’s hard not to get excited about this win.
Xavier Pinson led the team with 22 points (with 19 in the second half) and the Tigers are off to a really impressive 2-0 start to the season (also 6-0 all-time against Oregon!) Up next: Missouri heads to Wichita State on Sunday afternoon, a 1:00 p.m. CST tip-off on ESPN2.
Missouri’s needle-moving win jumped them nine sports from No. 55 to No. 46 on KenPom, and the Tigers are now up to No. 36 on Bart Torvik’s rankings.
The national media is also starting to take some notice on Mizzou’s potential this season. Catch up on some of these tweets.
Missouri returned the highest percentage of scoring of any team in the SEC. Tigers showed their experience in tonight's win over Oregon. A team to monitor.— Jon Rothstein (@JonRothstein) December 3, 2020
Missouri secures the best win in the SEC this season, knocking off Oregon 83-75. Pretty authoritative win at that.— Pat Forde (@ByPatForde) December 3, 2020
This just in, @MizzouHoops is gonna be a force in the SEC this year. Experienced, confident, together. Great combination.— Tom Hart (@tom_hart) December 3, 2020
Sleeper squad in the @SEC. There has been zero buzz about @MizzouHoops and yet they are a legit top five contender in the league. https://t.co/60jUkWBCr3— Andy Katz (@TheAndyKatz) December 3, 2020
You absolutely love to see it. (Editor’s note: yeah, we do. I told y’all...)
And we’ll end with the post-game celebration video. YESSIR!
That was for The ZOU— Mizzou Hoops (@MizzouHoops) December 3, 2020
Onto the links! And plenty of more coverage to come on the win here at Rock M Nation!
Yesterday at Rock M
- From Josh Matejka: Hoops Preview: Oregon is dealing with a lot of turnover. Can Mizzou capitalize?
- Nate Edwards has the preview of the Arkansas Razorbacks
- Josh Matejka takes a look at Who’s ahead in the SEC Coach of the Year race?
- Sam Snelling has the Alabama Crimson Tide at No. 4 in the latest SEC Basketball Preview
- PODCAST: Arkansas and Familiar Face come to Columbia, with Nate Edwards and Brandon Kiley
- GAME THREAD: Mizzou beats No. 21 Oregon in Omaha, from Kortay Vincent
- Tigers Take Down No. 21 Ducks, writes Kortay Vincent
- In his latest notebook, Mitchell Forde writes that Mizzou is preparing for Odom’s return
- Mitchell Forde also has the Tiger Tipoff Preview of Oregon
- ($$) Here’s the latest edition of Gabe DeArmond’s Macadoodle’s Mailbag
- Here’s the latest episode of The 573 Report with Gabe DeArmond and Mitchell Forde
- ($$) Gabe DeArmond had his post-game thoughts after the 83-75 win over Oregon
- WATCH: Tiger hoops post-game, from Gabe DeArmond
- TIGER TALES: A look ahead to Mizzou vs Arkansas, from Dave Matter
- As Odom arrives, Mizzou D-Line depth takes shape, writes Dave Matter
- Dave Matter writes that Mizzou is prepared for the unknown vs No. 21 Oregon
- In his latest QuickHits, Ben Frederickson discusses why Mizzou and SLU can’t get it together
- Mizzou Pregame Primer: Tigers go Duck hunting, from Dave Matter
- Mizzou’s early surge enough to hold off No. 21 Oregon, writes Dave Matter
- On the latest Eye of the Tigers Podcast: Dave Matter and Ben Frederickson discuss if Mizzou could be a ranked football team by the season’s end
- From Souichi Terada: Missouri Tigers basketball vs Oregon Ducks: Prediction, TV, tipoff, line, lineups
- Mizzou junior Nick Bolton listed as one of 18 Tigers to be honored on Saturday, writes Souichi Terada
- An apologetic Drew Lock returns as Broncos quarterback following COVID-19 breach, writes Vahe Gregorian
- Souichi Terada examined what we learned in Mizzou’s win over Oregon
- ($$) In his latest mailbag, Peter Baugh discusses Mizzou’s bowl game scenarios, Bazelak’s potential, Drinkwitz’s chances for SEC Coach of the Year, and much more.
- Missouri tops No. 21 Oregon in convincing win in Omaha, writes Joel Lorenzi
- Will they stay or will they go? Adam Cole writes about the conundrum for Missouri’s football seniors
- Reid Glenn writes that a former Missouri wide receiver signs with the Houston practice squad
- Tyler Hollins looks at the impressive first half that allowed Mizzou to pull away from Oregon
(Columbia Daily Tribune)
- Eric Bum wrote about defensive coordinator Ryan Walters, watching the Tigers play from home
- What Cuonzo Martin said after Tigers beat No. 21 Ducks
- Nick Bolton is indeed, the baddest dude on the field. Here’s proof.
The baddest dude on the field ⚡⚡⚡— Mizzou Football (@MizzouFootball) December 2, 2020
cc: @butkusaward#MIZ x @_nickbolton2 pic.twitter.com/NVGL4qVRqv
- And Arkansas just motivated Nick Bolton even more. Probably not the best thing to do!
Lol @ the caption. See y’all Saturday. https://t.co/hFZcpKhAYO— Nick Bolton (@_nickbolton2) December 3, 2020
- Congrats to Trystan Colon-Castillo on making his NFL Debut (on a Wednesday afternoon, of course)
Former Mizzou center Trystan Colon-Castillo just made his NFL debut for the #Ravens against the Steelers. A three-year starter for Mizzou, Colon-Castillo signed with the Ravens as a UDFA.— Peter Baugh (@Peter_Baugh) December 2, 2020
They do say kids always dream about making their NFL debut on Wednesday Afternoon Football.
- On the latest Inside Mizzou Athletics podcast, Mike Kelly and Matt Michaels preview the Battle Line Rivalry and the game against Oregon
- Mizzou defensive end commit Kyran Montgomery was named to the Indiana High School Football First Team All-State team!
December 2, 2020
- Here are the latest bowl projections for Mizzou: ($$) The Athletic’s Stewart Mandel (vs Boston College in the Gator Bowl) , Watch Stadium’s Brett McMurphy (vs North Carolina in the Gator Bowl), CBS Sports’ Jerry Palm (vs Arizona State in the Las Vegas Bowl), ESPN’s Mark Schlabach and Kyle Bonagura (Las Vegas Bowl vs Oregon and Gator Bowl vs NC State)
- Mizzou Football has listed 18 players that will be honored on Senior Day Saturday vs Arkansas. Not surprising, but it includes Nick Bolton.
Be in your seats early to honor these guys who gave their all to #Mizzou #MIZ x #NewZou pic.twitter.com/lcX0Ky54S7— Mizzou Football (@MizzouFootball) December 2, 2020
- Mizzou Basketball has added another non-conference game. They’ll host Prairie View A&M on December 18th. Time is TBD.
News: #Mizzou has added a home basketball game against Prairie View A&M on December 18 to the schedule— Power Mizzou (@PowerMizzoucom) December 2, 2020
- Mic’d up with Mizzou Women’s Basketball freshman guard Mama Dembele!
A coach on the court— Mizzou Basketball (@MizzouWBB) December 2, 2020
️ Mic'd up with Mama Dembele ⤵️#OurTownOurTeam pic.twitter.com/SYk7kaLY7E
- If you’re looking to sign up for ESPN+, Rock M Nation now has an affiliate link: click Here for ESPN+ Now!
- If you’re looking to sign up for a new streaming service, you can try FuboTV: click HERE for FuboTV access — FuboTV now has ESPN, CBS, FS1 and more sports channels.
(** RockMNation has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though RockMNation may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate links.**)