Give us the awards... ALL OF THEM!!!
So in case you weren’t aware, it was a fun weekend/week for Mizzou Sports. You would know, right? You were there.
Even if you weren’t, however, it would be hard to miss, especially after Monday. As usual, weekly awards were announced on Monday. And when I say that Mizzou cleaned up, I cannot stress it enough — Mizzou cleaned up.
Leading the charge were Mizzou’s powerhouse freshmen. Connor Bazelak won his third SEC Freshman of the Week award this season...
While Harrison Mevis won what was likely the most obvious award anyone has deserved all year.
And while it’s not technically an award, fellow freshman Luke Griffin was named to Pro Football Focus’ SEC offensive line of the week. That’s a big honor for Griffin, who wasn’t even a starter at the beginning of the year.
In addition to all the awards won this week, Harrison Mevis and senior Nick Bolton (despite not playing the second half of the Arkansas game) were both named as semifinalists for their respective positions’ player of the year awards.
Award updates:— Dave Matter (@Dave_Matter) December 7, 2020
Missouri LB Nick Bolton is one of 18 semifinalists for the Chuck Bednarik Award (defensive player of the year)
Missouri PK Harrison Mevis one of 20 semifinalists for the Lou Groza Award (best kicker)
And just you hold on a second, because we’re not done! The coaches got in on the awards action too, with both defensive coordinator Ryan Walters and QBs/RBs coach Bush Hamdam making the AFCA’s 35 under 35 list.
Outside of football — wait, you thought the recongition ended with football?! YOU FOOL, WE ARE HERE TO WIN EVERYTHING!
Anyway, outside of football, Cuonzo Martin was recognized by ESPN as the Coach of the Week after Mizzou grabbed wins from No. 21 Oregon and Wichita State away from Mizzou Arena.
The Tigers have a chance to earn their coach some more accolades if they can take care of business on their home court this week. Just saying...
Finally, the last award came in late in the afternoon, when Mark Smith’s hot shooting start paid off.
Smith averaged 17 points on 45 percent three-point shooting in Mizzou’s wins over Oregon and Wichita State.
Yesterday at Rock M
- The 2020 Missouri Tigers: Confident and Full of Belief
- The Good, Bad and Ugly: Arkansas
- Study Hall: Mizzou 72, Wichita State 62
- SEC Hoops Preview: #1 Kentucky Wildcats
- PODCAST: Mizzou hangs 50 on Arkansas
- MV3: It’s all offense after the Battle Line win
- There was a lot of talk this past weekend about potential rankings for Mizzou Football and Hoops. And while football still fell short of the Coaches’ poll by a handful of ballots, the hoopers are getting some love, ranking No. 25 on Andy Katz’s Power 36.
The Tigers are playing the best basketball in the SEC after beating Oregon on a neutral and Wichita State on the road.
The hardcourt Tigers also garnered some votes from the Associated Press poll, ranking behind Tennessee and Florida as the third highest SEC team.
- Ben Hochman wrote about Mizzou’s big week, with special focus on Eli Drinkwitz’s most recent recruiting win in St. Louis.
- Big day for PowerMizzou subscribers who can access: stats from Mizzou recruits’ high school games; a commitment analysis of Isaac Thompson; 10 Monday morning thoughts from Gabe; and Pro Football Focus insights from the Battle Line Rivalry.
- Souichi Terada looks ahead to this weekend’s Georgia game, noting that the Bulldogs have a different look than they did just a few weeks ago.
- The UM Board of Curators met recently to begin discussions of a new indoor football facility, and it appears early renderings of that project have already leaked!
- If you’re looking to sign up for ESPN+, Rock M Nation now has an affiliate link: click Here for ESPN+ Now!
- If you’re looking to sign up for a new streaming service, you can try FuboTV: click HERE for FuboTV access — FuboTV now has ESPN, CBS, FS1 and more sports channels.
(** RockMNation has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though RockMNation may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate links.**)