Happy Anniversary, Drink Up!
One year ago Tuesday, Mizzou hired a new football coach. A guy bearing a strong resemblence to the Simpsons character, Milhouse (once you see it, you can’t unsee it). A relative unknown, because even though he won big at App State, that’s not a Power-5 program, thus off the radar for most of us. But holy hell, one year later, how elated are we with this hire?!?
Especially considering this news, as the new CFB Playoff rankings were dropped. What do we have here? Mizzou at 25? You love to see it!
According to Dave Matter’s article on the news:
This marks the first time Mizzou has made the CFP rankings since the final edition in 2018, when Barry Odom’s Tigers were No. 23 after the regular season. The only other season the Tigers appeared in the CFP rankings came in 2014, the first year of the playoff, when Gary Pinkel’s Tigers peaked at No. 16 heading into bowl season.
And one more bit of awesome football news... The 56-man list for the Broyles Award nominees, given to the nation’s top assistant was announced Tuesday, and Mizzou’s Marcus Johnson finds himself on it. Congrats, Coach. It’s an honor just to be nominated.
On to the Links!
Yesterday at Rock M
- Jacob attended Drinkwitz’s newest MIZ-ZOOM football press conference with Drink.
- Kortay attended the MIZ-ZOOM press conference with Bazelak and Hazelton.
- Matt wrapped up the SEC Hoops previews with a quick recap of all the teams and handed out some awards.
- Nate (the Great) analyzed the Arkansas game in a new Beyond the Box Score.
- Josh was back with a new edition of his movie Revue: Whiplash.
- COMING UP: a Liberty (ew) hoops preview, AND a Georgia football preview...
- St. Louis Post-Dispatch: Dave Matter wrote about how Mizzou is down two defensive starters on Saturday— Jarvis Ware (significantly injured) and Tre Williams (exploring opps outside of Mizzou Football), and did a Power Ranking of the SEC teams.
- KC Star: Souichi covered the news about Mizzou being listed in the new CFB playoff rankings ahead of their game against No. 9 Georgia. He also wrapped up Drink’s newest press conference and talked about his one year anniversary.
- MUTigers.com previewed this weekend’s game.
- Columbia Missourian: Adam Cole covered Mizzou’s recent rankings.
- The Maneater: Kyle Pinnell gave readers his 5 takeaways from the Arkansas game.
- Columbia Tribune: Eric Blum wrote about Drink hitting the one-year mark, where Mizzou is projected to play their bowl game, and how Mizzou is pivoting to Georgia amidst the constant schedule changes.
- Saturday Down South: Keith Farner wrote about how Drink is on the path to being an SEC East contender.
- PowerMizzou (free): Gabe put out a video of Drink’s newest press conference. The staff covered the release of the new depth chart. The guys were also back with a new episode of the 573 Report. For subscribers, Sean Williams talked with SLUH head coach, Mike Jones, about the commitment of Isaac Thompson., and Josh Helmholdt of Rivals talked about St. Louis area DT, Marquis Gracial’s recruitment.
- Check out these sweet pics from the game, courtesy of Mizzou Pix.
- Travion Ford will be signing his NLI on December 16. Super excited to see him suit up for Mizzou! And Tyler Macon reiterated that he is IN with Mizzou, as are his fellow commits.
- PowerMizzou: Mitchell Forde shared video of Cuonzo’s press conference.
- KOMU: Sports Director Ben Arnet posted a story about the Tigers’ upcoming games, as well as videos with Smith & Smith.
- Columbia Missourian: Tyler Hollins wrote that ahead of Braggin Rights, Mizzou looks to first beat Liberty. As Sam said, I hope we win by 100, and that’s still not enough.
- The game times and tv schedules have come out for the men’s hoops, and wow, there are a bunch of late ones in there.
- Joe Lunardi’s way too early Bracketology came out on ESPN and guess who’s on it? MIZZOU!
- Love this.
- Columbia Tribune: Eric Blum said the unbeaten Tigers ‘expected to start out strong.’
Illinois has beaten Duke 83-68 in Cameron Indoor. #Mizzou will have its work cut out to take home the Braggin' Rights trophy for the third season in a row on Saturday.— Mitchell Forde (@Mitchell4D) December 9, 2020
Other Mizzou Sports/Mizzou in the Pros
- Gymnastics’ tv schedule has been released.
- So high tech!
- Congrats to Mizzou Soccer’s ONLY head coach, Bryan Blitz, who was inducted into the Missouri Sports Hall of Fame. (more info at MUTigers.com)
If you’re looking to sign up for ESPN+, Rock M Nation now has an affiliate link: click Here for ESPN+ Now!
If you’re looking to sign up for a new streaming service, you can try FuboTV: click HERE for FuboTV access — FuboTV now has ESPN, CBS, FS1 and more sports channels.
(** RockMNation has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though RockMNation may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate nks.**)