This is an X-Man and Parker Braun appreciation post.
Detractors, if you’re out there— SCRAM, because REALLY... dedicating my post to anyone BUT these two would just be silly.
But first, I could watch this on repeat. Y’all, I just LOVE this team. I think you know that already, but really... I never stopped believing.
"Great win."#ToTheFinishLine pic.twitter.com/0OY9EeY9YQ— Mizzou Hoops (@MizzouHoops) February 19, 2020
The Highlights. Sigh. That was fun.
The Highlights ⤵️#ToTheFinishLine pic.twitter.com/WR5cWU4xu0— Mizzou Hoops (@MizzouHoops) February 19, 2020
And now, it’s time to appreciate these two.
DUDE.... What a performance (I’m ignoring bricking those two FTs). SIX POINTS. SEVEN REBOUNDS. FOUR BLOCKS. TWO ASSISTS. CAREER HIGH IN MINUTES (24).
Let’s see what the Twitterverse had to say about this.
Nah. pic.twitter.com/juHRinwd26— Mizzou Hoops (@MizzouHoops) February 19, 2020
Parker Braun is doing nothing to diminish his growing legend among #Mizzou fans tonight— Gabe DeArmond (@GabeDeArmond) February 19, 2020
Here’s the dunk. The stuff of legends, as Gabe said. He was called for a foul on this, but apparently, Referee Pat Adams came over to him at the end of the first half and apologized for making the call against him. Damn right.
Parker Braun oh my pic.twitter.com/hu59HY8mSq— Represent Mizzou (@RepresentMizzou) February 19, 2020
Parker Braun with a ridiculous follow-dunk on a missed 3-pointer - but he's called for a foul. Awful call. A player should be rewarded for being able to do that, even if there's some contact.— Dave Matter (@Dave_Matter) February 19, 2020
PARKER BRAUN JUST DUNKED ON THE STATE OF MISSISSIPPI— ROCK M NATION (@RockMNation) February 19, 2020
Accurate. We all thought it.
#Mizzou pic.twitter.com/FmZR8KEL0N— Brendan Wiese (@bwiese16) February 19, 2020
The moral of this story? Sophie Cunningham knows what she’s talking about. Never doubt The Mayor.
Parker Braun should be getting more minutes. Period. He is a spark, has fundamental IQ, and has so much potential if you give him that confidence to just play basketball!— Sophie Cunningham (@sophaller) February 16, 2020
Wow. His recent ascent into awesomeness makes me so happy to see I might cry. LOVE. TO. SEE. IT. 32 points on 9-13 shooting (4-4 from 3) to go along with 4 rebounds and only 2 turnovers in his 27 minutes? That’ll do, X. That’ll do.
My favorite tweet of the night:
Xavier Pinson is a great example of what can happen when a young, talented player takes hard coaching and doesn’t run from it. He saw the opportunity, and paid his dues. Now he’s being rewarded. Bright future for him at #Mizzou.— Ben Frederickson (@Ben_Fred) February 19, 2020
A new name for Friend of the Site Blake Lovell’s podcast? It’s got a nice ring to it, eh?
The Locked on SEC podcast, brought to you by the Xavier Pinson player of the year campaign.— Blake Lovell (@theblakelovell) February 19, 2020
In reference to his technical foul for staring down the player he just dunked on and probably saying some words (yeah, he said something for sure):
Cuonzo Martin said he didn't chew Xavier Pinson out after his technical foul in the first half. “That’s part of the game. I ran my mouth a little bit back in the day.”— Mitchell Forde (@Mitchell4D) February 19, 2020
Even the SEC noticed. #itjustmeansmore
.6️⃣9️⃣ FG % ✖️ 3️⃣2️⃣ points @xpinson1 with the best FG pct in a 30-point game for a @MizzouHoops player since 2009 pic.twitter.com/2m0ZKWXcjc— SEC Network (@SECNetwork) February 19, 2020
And of course, WE noticed here at Rock M.
Xavier pic.twitter.com/BqRV7hZkje— ROCK M NATION (@RockMNation) February 19, 2020
X Pinson pic.twitter.com/kYHGNdGwwY— ROCK M NATION (@RockMNation) February 19, 2020
We see you, X.
Goodnight from #Mizzou Arena #ToTheFinishLine pic.twitter.com/iJDX41EeSZ— Mizzou Hoops (@MizzouHoops) February 19, 2020
And with that, on to the links!
Yesterday at Rock M
- Josh previewed Tuesday night’s home matchup against Mississippi.
- Newer Matt posted a Mizzou-Ole Miss game thread if you wish to see what the rest of the commentariat had to say.
- Matt, pulling double duty for us this evening, told us in his gamer that Xavier Pinson was (as least for this game) better than Ole Miss star, Breein Tyree.
- PowerMizzou (subscribers): Sean Williams shared Rivals’ Top 25 players in Illinois and looked at the Mizzou targets of the group.
- The Athletic (subscribers): Peter wrote a great story about the returning coaches, Brick Haley, Ryan Walters, and David Gibbs titled, From limbo to let’s go: Why it made sense for these Missouri coaching holdovers to stay on.
- We officially have a date for the Spring Game! And it’s Easter weekend! Not sure what that will do for attendance?
The Spring Game at the #NewZou— Mizzou Football (@MizzouFootball) February 18, 2020
️ April 11
⏰ 1 PM#MIZ x #ShowMe pic.twitter.com/AjwKtYdQHv
- In case you would like to give any of the Mizzou Football staff a follow:
Follow the #NewZou Staff ➡️ #MIZ x #NewZou pic.twitter.com/eeEVOy76LZ— Mizzou Football (@MizzouFootball) February 18, 2020
- Dave Matter tweeted this about the D1 working group, who has been discussing changing the policies on transfers having to sit out. You can also read more about here from the NCAA site:
Division I working group proposes allowing first-time transfers in all sports to compete immediately if they're: released by first school, academically eligible, making academic progress at 2nd school & not under disciplinary suspension https://t.co/dpotDzqwS4— Dave Matter (@Dave_Matter) February 18, 2020
- Welcome to the coaching staff, Khalil Oliver! He’s been added as a grad assistant, according to Peter Baugh.
- The new football trainer has been hired, according to Dave Matter.
Mizzou football officially has a new athletic trainer, Owen Stanley. Held similar role at Kansas and Texas A&M and former Kansas City Chiefs assistant trainer.— Dave Matter (@Dave_Matter) February 18, 2020
- St. Louis Post-Dispatch: Dave wrote in his gameday blog that the Tigers are prepared for a Rebel attack. He also wrote that Coach Martin is hoping they team will follow X’s lead.
- St. Louis Post-Dispatch: BenFred said March Sadness is once again infecting the area college hoops scene.
- Thanks, bearer of some possible bad news on the horizon regarding Josh Christopher, Matthew J Harris. Check out this Rivals update for more info.
- PowerMizzou (free): The guys posted a video of Cuonzo’s postgame presser, and Jessi Dodge posted a photo gallery.
- PowerMizzou (free): Mitchell previewed the Mizzou- Ole Miss game, saying in order to win the Tigers should: 1) not let Tyree beat them, 2) keep attacking the basket, and 3) take care of the ball, before predicting a 4-point victory for the Tigers. (editor’s note: 1- X took care of that, didn’t he?. 2- not bad, some early settling of threes in the first half . 3- not terrible. Not a bad prediction by Mitchell this time!)
- Choose Your Own Gamers available in various places, all of which you should read: Souichi Terada (KC Star). Gabe DeArmond’s recap says it’s better late than never (PowerMizzou). Mitchell Forde focused mostly on X, rightly so, in his piece (PowerMizzou). Dave Matter’s recap of The Pinson Show (St. Louis Post-Dispatch). Briar Napier focused on the Parker’s impact (Columbia Missourian). Souichi Terada (KC Star). Eric Blum (Columbia Tribune). Thomas Huitt-Johnson (Trumans Tales). MUTigers.com.
- Super cool stat about Dru, who reached the century mark in assists.
Dimes— Mizzou Hoops (@MizzouHoops) February 18, 2020
Dru is just the 7th different Tiger with 100 assists & 50 steals in the same campaign since 1992.#ToTheFinishLine pic.twitter.com/y9Erj0sRBM
Other Mizzou Sports News
- Chris Martucci of the Columbia Missourian previewed the SEC Championships for swimming & diving, hoping to improve upon last years’ performances (men- 2nd to Florida and women- 7th).
- SEC Swimming Championships update: The women’s 200 medley relay set the school record, according to Missourian reports.
- Check out the #TigerStyle twitter account, who will be honoring their seniors all week. They face Iowa State on Saturday at 1:30pm.
- Congrats to golfer, Michelle Butler on her Sportswoman of the Year award at the WIN luncheon.
Had a great time today at the 2020 WIN for Columbia Awards banquet, where our very own @mbutler_54 won the Sportswoman of the Year Award! Quite a day when the amazing @sportsiren is on hand to give an inspiring talk, and give you the award! #MIZZOU pic.twitter.com/JLOvInneLE— Mizzou Women's Golf (@MUWomensGolf) February 18, 2020
- Baseball showcased second baseman Mark Vierling’s performance as lead-off man. Also, they are providing incentives for new season ticket holders. Check out MUTigers.com/BSBTix for more details!
TABLE SETTER— Mizzou Baseball (@MizzouBaseball) February 19, 2020
Junior 2B @vierlingmark was fantastic last weekend as #Mizzou’s leadoff man
Currently, his 8 R ranks 6th in NCAA / 1st in SEC #C2E ⚾️ pic.twitter.com/hLpPcXu6dv
- The tumbling Tigers are back on the mat at Hearnes on Friday when take on LSU, and they are raising money for the Food Bank.
Friday we Stick it to Hunger in support of @TheFoodBankMO#MIZ pic.twitter.com/rXOZpJqXz7— Mizzou Gymnastics (@MizzouGym) February 18, 2020
- Tyler Hollins of the Missourian wrote that Missouri softball looks to continue their hot start as they travel to CA for their next tourney.
- New softball rankings! And check out the highlights of the weekend on their twitter account.
heading in to Week 3 ‼️#OwnIt pic.twitter.com/y4jxBXBur9— Mizzou Softball (@MizzouSoftball) February 18, 2020
Movin' ⬆️#OwnIt pic.twitter.com/S7yraVrQDl— Mizzou Softball (@MizzouSoftball) February 17, 2020
- Some highlights from Tennis’ win over SEMO on Monday! You can read the recap here (MUTigers.com)
Highlights from a Monday dub over SEMO ‼️#MIZ #OneWay pic.twitter.com/y5uoIV87Rp— Mizzou Tennis (@MizzouTennis) February 18, 2020
- Langston Newsome of the Missourian covered the WIN luncheon, which honored Columbia’s female athletes and coaches. (editor’s note: I actually shrieked when I saw THE HOLLY ROWE was the guest speaker. Wow. When I attended in 2012, Jackie Joyner-Kersee was the guest speaker and I thought THAT was cool)
- This is really cool. Associate Head Coach Natasha Kaiser-Brown will be honored at the SEC Women’s Basketball Tourney in March. She was featured in the SEC’s women’s legend spotlight, which you can read here.
⭐ SEC Women's Legend ⭐— Mizzou Track & Field (@MizzouTFXC) February 17, 2020
Natasha Kaiser-Brown was featured today by the @SEC!
She will be honored at the SEC Women's Basketball Tournament later this spring.
Full story: https://t.co/lBJHKtHUV2#MIZ #TigerTough
- Track wraps up their regular indoor season this weekend at home in the Missouri Collegiate Challenge.
MEET WEEK | Missouri Collegiate Challenge— Mizzou Track & Field (@MizzouTFXC) February 17, 2020
We're back at the Hearnes Center for the final meet of the 2020 indoor regular season❗#MIZ #TigerTough pic.twitter.com/12SDqqyrKJ
Mizzou in the Pros
- Congrats to Sophie on being named Collegiate Sportswoman of the Year at the WIN Columbia luncheon. Coach Pingeton accepted the award on her behalf.
Congratulations to @sophaller on being named the Collegiate Sportswoman of the Year at the WIN for Columbia Awards Luncheon! @CoachPingeton was on-hand to accept the award on Sophie's behalf. #MIZ #OurTownOurTeam pic.twitter.com/JqAQaYiMZ7— Mizzou Basketball (@MizzouWBB) February 18, 2020
- Forbes Magazine’s Andy Bailey apparently agreed with an article I posted last week that Jordan Clarkson is a 6th Man of the Year candidate.
- FanSided’s Nugg Love said the Denver Nuggets are entering the MPJ-Era, and it’s terrifying.
- SBNation’s Boston Red Sox site Over the Monster discussed their prospect ranking, and where former MU pitcher Tanner Houck is trying to find a role.
- The St. Louis Battlehawks have their home opener this weekend!! Anyone going out to the dome to see Marcus Lucas or LDW?
5⃣ Days.— St. Louis BattleHawks (@XFLBattleHawks) February 18, 2020
It's about to be a party at The Dome! #ForTheLoveOfFootball x #ClearedToEngage pic.twitter.com/5BouHmCcLZ
- If you’re looking to sign up for ESPN+, Rock M Nation now has an affiliate link: click Here for ESPN+ Now! (** RockMNation has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though RockMNation may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate links.**)