The One Where’s There’s Next to No News
If you took it as a play on a Friends’ title, congrats. That’s what I was going for.
But seriously, y’all, there is just not a whole helluva lot to share right now. With no hoops on Tuesday night, it really threw me off my... game? So, please bear with me.
Women’s basketball plays their last home game of the season on Thursday, and though Saturday was technically Senior Day, we’ll say our last Mizzou Arena goodbyes to Hannah, the two Jordans and Amber on Thursday evening. MUTigers.com put together a really nice piece on them on Sunday, asking each to reflect upon their time at Mizzou, which was full of very high highs and some low lows. From the article:
They (the seniors) are leaders on the team and keep pushing when things get hard. They are relentless players who stay persistent and resilient to the end of every game. When their final game is played, this graduating class will be remembered as fighters. Every time they take the court is an opportunity to showcase how hard they worked to get there.
”When you really take pride in being able to wear that jersey it’s amazing. I don’t think there are words to describe that feeling of coming out of the tunnel,” Schuchts said.
“The things that I was able to go through and overcome having these people with me has been amazing. I thank all of Mizzou nation from the bottom of my heart,” Roundtree said.
Thanks for everything, ladies.
To the links!
Yesterday at Rock M
- Fearless Leader Sam asked the all-important question: Is Missouri Basketball playing better? Answer: Somewhat. It’s a must read.
- It debuted on Monday, but Josh started a weekly column on Bieser Ball in which he categorized specific aspects of Mizzou baseball’s most recent performances into figurative strikeouts, walks, and home runs. I highly suggest you check it out; it’s a really great idea. (Editor’s note: there’s so little Rock M news that I’m sharing previous posts now, sigh)
- PowerMizzou ($$): Gabe has his weekly By the Numbers piece, and Sean Williams (Rivals) said 3-star RB Kamarro Edmonds has Mizzou listed among his interests.
- The Athletic (subscribers): Peter conducted a Q&A with 2021’s first commitment, DL Mehki Wingo.
- Here’s some FREE news to excite the NewZou fans! Get to know new Director of Athletic Performance, Zac Woodfin!
"The reason we coach is to impact young people so they can be better human beings and better athletes." - @Coach_Woodfin— Mizzou Football (@MizzouFootball) February 25, 2020
Meet #Mizzou Football's Director of Athletic Performance Zac Woodfin ⤵️#MIZ x #NewZou pic.twitter.com/yoXnaD10Q5
- Columbia Missourian: Adam Reckamp provided an SEC Review for the season thus far.
- KC Star: In the new Mizzou Sports Beat, Blair Kerkhoff asked if Mizzou Hoops’ progress can be sustained.
- Mizzou-Vandy Previews: Eric Blum (Columbia Tribune). MUTigers.com. Dave Matter (St. Louis Post-Dispatch). Briar Napier (Columbia Missourian).
- Saturday’s game vs Mississippi State will be Military Appreciation Day, which means... free admission for active and retired military. Mizzou thanks you for your service.
Military Appreciation Day— Mizzou Hoops (@MizzouHoops) February 24, 2020
This Saturday at #Mizzou Arena!
FREE admission for current military members and veterans. #ToTheFinishLine pic.twitter.com/eMRut9Mxx2
- Future broadcaster Mitchell Smith hosted Tiger Talk on Monday night. I wish they’d make these videos available to the general public because I’d love to hear the whole thing. I know at one point Mitch made fun of Zo’s ‘stache during his college playing days.
Living out his dream— Mizzou Hoops (@MizzouHoops) February 25, 2020
Aspiring radio broadcaster @YourboyMitchell took the host seat at Tiger Talk last night #ToTheFinishLine pic.twitter.com/2Bllh12wnq
- Rock M twitter got weird on Tuesday night when rapper Master P’s son, Hercy Miller, apparently picked up an offer from the Tigers’ staff. Witness:
We're not predicting Hercy Miller picks Mizzou.— ROCK M NATION (@RockMNation) February 26, 2020
But Master P should be aware other rap artists have looked sharp donning the black and gold. pic.twitter.com/tHIXgAQBZG
Master P was actually a really good basketball player… so if he passed those genes on to his kid lets get it.— Sam Snelling (@SamTSnelling) February 26, 2020
- One last chance to see the Tigers at home this season! Thursday. 7pm. Be there.
Only 1️⃣ more chance to cheer on #Mizzou at home this season ❗— Mizzou Basketball (@MizzouWBB) February 25, 2020
Be at #Mizzou Arena on Thursday at 7 pm.#MIZ #OurTownOurTeam pic.twitter.com/KB6J0zgQOb
- New softball rankings! Larissa Anderson’s team also checks in at # 23 in the USA Softball poll!
#Mizzou checks in at No. 21 in the @NFCAorg poll this week ‼️#OwnIt pic.twitter.com/7XJ0aFRva0— Mizzou Softball (@MizzouSoftball) February 25, 2020
- Shannon Belt of the Maneater recapped the two series thus far that quite literally went coast to coast.
- Efficient pitching... Love to see it.
Efficiency in the Circle ⚫️@ratedEforevery1 » 9.67 strikeouts per walk@EmmaNichols18 » 7.25 strikeouts per walk#OwnIt pic.twitter.com/qiQYQTNw28— Mizzou Softball (@MizzouSoftball) February 25, 2020
- Baseball is back in action TODAY against McNeese State at 3pm. Check out the game preview from MUTigers.com.
- Emma Moloney of the Missourian also previewed the matchup between Mizzou and McNeese State.
Other Mizzou Sports News
- Gymnastics- Congrats to freshman Helen Hu on her SEC Freshman of the Week honors after her phenomenal performance in Friday’s meet! More details from MUTigers.com
All-around title ✔️— Mizzou Gymnastics (@MizzouGym) February 25, 2020
Beam title ✔️
9.975 on beam ✔️
Helen Hu is the @SEC Freshman of the Week
- All Sports: Abigail Shaw of the Columbia Missourian detailed a new bill that would require colleges and universities to insure student-athletes.
Mizzou in the Pros / Denver Sports Beat
- Mike is back and — surprise, surprise — he’s still good, guys.
Michael Porter Jr.'s back. 13 points, 6-of-8 shooting, six boards in 19 minutes.— Mike Singer (@msinger) February 26, 2020
I didn't think it would take long for him to become a regular in the rotation again.
Yeah, he's got it like that #MileHighBasketball pic.twitter.com/KngM03Ut36— Denver Nuggets (@nuggets) February 26, 2020
- DenverBroncos.com: The Broncos have said Drew has the “It Factor” and they will move forward with confidence.
- If you’re looking to sign up for ESPN+, Rock M Nation now has an affiliate link: click Here for ESPN+ Now! (** RockMNation has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though RockMNation may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate links.**)