Since today is National Signing Day, Part Deux and the site will be focusing all of its attention on that all day long, I’m not really going to say much up here.
Welcome, new Tigers!
In regards to the current state of Mizzou Hoops, I have few words:
And, in closing, I’ll just leave this little nugget here... (FTR, I love Javon Pickett so so much)
SEC Player of the week— Tom Orf (@MU4124) February 5, 2020
With a lot of new football staff chatter, there’s a lot to go through links-wise. Dig in!
Yesterday at Rock M
- Josh previewed Tuesday night’s home matchup against the Aggies while pleading for the Tigers to get a win.
- Fearless Leader Sam looked at how Mizzou could fill the scholly left open by Mario McKinney Jr’s transfer.
- This is not a new post, but if you haven’t read Ryan’s in-depth piece about Mitch, DO IT NOW.
- Ryan posted a Texas A&M game thread if you wish to see what the rest of the commentariat had to say (I did not check it out).
- Matt A told us in his gamer that it’s bad. Yep... it’s bad. I bet our writers would LOVE to write a happy story about a win. Maybe Saturday? On Rally for Rhyan Day?
- St. Louis Post-Dispatch: Dave said that the new coaches are making Missouri the number 1 priority, and it is evidenced by the coaching staff saying they’ve traveled to and from St. Louis (for instance) so many times the last few weeks they’ve lost count. From the post— thought this was really interesting (hell, the whole article is realllllly interesting)
All 10 assistants will be assigned one part of the state in addition to other out-of-state regions. But the state is definitely a priority. Not a priority. THE priority.
- PowerMizzou (free): Mitchell wrote about how the new Mizzou assistants are getting to know the returning players. Gabe wrote that Drinkwitz is blending continuity with new blood on his first defensive staff.
- PowerMizzou (subscribers): Sean Williams wrote a signing day preview. FYI: PM is offering some signing day subscription specials (click here for details)
- KC Star: Souichi said that Drink’s assistants are super pumped for signing day (I’d be concerned if they weren’t)
- The Athletic (subscribers): Peter examined the challenging mission of the new coaching staff in this recruiting period.
- Saturday Down South: Adam Spencer shared the off-the-field additions to Coach Drinkwitz’s staff, mostly in the form of tweets coming from STLToday’s Dave Matter.
- In honor of the Chiefs’ win (and MVP Pat Mahomes’ number), Mizzou Athletics will be selling east side reserved tickets for only $15 against Central Arkansas on September 5.
Missouri's @NFL team brought home the #SBLIV Trophy! We're continuing the winning spirit by offering discounted tickets to @MizzouFootball's home opener.— Mizzou Athletics (@MizzouAthletics) February 4, 2020
️ https://t.co/82088vAdoF!#MIZ x #NewZou pic.twitter.com/udPNTenGdL
- Get to know new DB coach, Charlie Harbison!
"If you don't push yourself to the limit, you don't know how far you can go." - @CharlieHarbiso2— Mizzou Football (@MizzouFootball) February 4, 2020
Meet #Mizzou's DB coach Charlie Harbison ⤵️#MIZ x #NewZou pic.twitter.com/dIcKJ4enQo
- Columbia Missourian: Briar Napier previewed the Tigers’ second A&M game as the health of the team is in question.
- CBS Sports: Matt Norlander looked at current D-I players wearing the number 24, to see if any of them had a connection to Kobe Bryant. Mentioned in here is the only college hooper wearing # 24 who is ALSO named Kobe.. our very own Kobe Brown. Check it out.
- PowerMizzou (free): Mitchell previewed the Texas A&M game, saying in order to win the Tigers should: 1) not settle for three pointers, 2) get the big men going, and 3) avoid a scoring drought, before predicting a loss for the Tigers. (editor’s note: see GIFs above on how this went)
- Choose Your Own Gamers available in various places, in case you want to scream into a void: Souichi Terada (KC Star). Adam Reckamp (Columbia Missourian). Eli Hoff (Maneater). Mitchell Forde’s And One (PowerMizzou). Dave Matter (St. Louis Post-Dispatch).
- This was my (only) favorite part of the whole game, obviously. Welcome back, Tilly!
For the first time since January 4th, Jeremiah Tilmon, Jr., has checked in the game.— Mizzou Hoops (@MizzouHoops) February 5, 2020
Yessir, Tilly #ToTheFinishLine pic.twitter.com/bZKHKIqFI3
- Some Rally for Rhyan news if you’re planning on attending and donating on Saturday! Remember, we have NOT EVER LOST THIS GAME.
The first 300 people to donate $50 or more at Saturday’s @MizzouHoops Rally For Rhyan game will get a limited addition R4R Build-A-Bear... compliments of @buildabear pic.twitter.com/ZoMUKhwzLq— Brad Loos (@BradLoos_MIZ) February 4, 2020
- Briley Eilers and Owen Krucoff of the Missourian had a nice piece on women’s hoops, detailing how, with the hardest stretch of the women’s schedule complete, a strong closing month could have postseason implications in the form of a W-NIT bid.
- Jordan Chavis is fire, presented in two tweets.
Further evidence of— Mizzou Basketball (@MizzouWBB) February 4, 2020
cc: @JChavis15 pic.twitter.com/vJSnxhIfMN
Other Mizzou Sports News
- You can catch Larissa Anderson’s softball team on your television 10 times this season!
Don't turn that dial!#Mizzou is set for 10 TV games this season— Mizzou Softball (@MizzouSoftball) February 4, 2020
» https://t.co/hiXHKNyHrI#OwnIt pic.twitter.com/PfsIEsLCbX
- Track & Field will host the Mizzou Open this weekend.
MEET WEEK | Mizzou Open— Mizzou Track & Field (@MizzouTFXC) February 4, 2020
We're back at the Hearnes Center this Friday❕ #MIZ #TigerTough pic.twitter.com/MqneMDEm5l
- The tennis team swept SLU 4-0 on Friday, finished off by sophomore Vivien Abraham, according to Danny Knickmeyer of the Maneater.
Highlights from #Mizzou's wins over Missouri State and Saint Louis ‼️#MIZ #OneWay pic.twitter.com/ApNgAp4FK0— Mizzou Tennis (@MizzouTennis) February 3, 2020
- #TigerStyle is offering promotions for the teams’ final duals, including Alumni Weekend, according to MUTigers.com.
#TigerStyle Alumni Weekend— #TigerStyle (@MizzouWrestling) February 3, 2020
Feb. 8-9#MIZ x #TigerStyle pic.twitter.com/2zsl32MkPL
- Freshman gymnast Sierra Schreiber had quite the floor routine during Friday’s Pink Out meet against # 14 Arkansas. The Tigers are back on the mat on Friday, facing off against Alabama in Tuscaloosa at 7:15pm (SEC+)
A career-high 9.875 for the freshman #MIZ pic.twitter.com/yq1iY8PMxJ— Mizzou Gymnastics (@MizzouGym) February 4, 2020
- Swimmer Joseph Gutierrez was named SEC Men’s Freshman of the Week for his performances in winning the 1000 free and finishing 2nd in the 500 free in the weekend’s dual against Southern Illinois. (MUTigers.com)
Congratulations to Joseph Gutierrez, the @SEC Men's Freshman of the Week❗— Mizzou Swim & Dive (@MizzouSwimDive) February 4, 2020
- Volleyball showcased the awesomeness of Second Team All-American, Kylie Deberg.
When you’re a Second Team All-American like @kyliedeberg12, the game can look fairly simple sometimes #MIZ #ShowMe pic.twitter.com/mzgyhTsgq2— Mizzou Volleyball (@MizzouVB) February 4, 2020
Mizzou in the Pros / Former Player News
- Have a week, Jordan Clarkson! (side note: anyone remember him as UN-tattooed in college?)
Jordan averaged just over 19 points through four games shooting 46% from distance and making 3.5 threes a game.#PlayerOfTheWeek | @xfinity pic.twitter.com/aHSbxntsAG— Utah Jazz (@utahjazz) February 4, 2020
- Jordan Clarkson has been everything the Jazz has hoped for and then some, according to the Salt Lake Tribune.
- According to ClutchPoints, Mike isn’t going anywhere at the trade deadline and is considered untouchable.
- Elite Sports New York said the NYG’s Markus Golden was far too valuable to let him walk away in free agency. (older news but never linked to it previously)
- If you’re looking to sign up for ESPN+, Rock M Nation now has an affiliate link: click Here for ESPN+ Now! (** RockMNation has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though RockMNation may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate links.**)