Dru Smith was ROBBED! Welcome to my indignation-filled links post.
I mean... really. Really? REALLY?!? So you’re telling me that DRU SMITH isn’t deserving of be named to any All-SEC team? Dru Smith, who was well-qualified to win the SEC Defensive Player of the Year award, isn’t on ANYONE’s list? Nowhere in the top 10 for the AP poll? The SEC coaches named like 60,000 people to their All-SEC teams and NO DRU SMITH (they named 17 total, which is really just weird)? Like, for real?!? Imagine, if you will, thinking that Dru Smith is not one of the SEVENTEEN best players in the SEC? I can’t imagine. I can’t. It’s unfathomable.
Dave Matter put together his own list, complete with some made-up categories that don’t exist— like third team All-SEC and All-Transfer Team. And guess who’s on it? D-R-U-(expletive)-S-M-I-T-H. In Matter’s list (read his post, please), he named Dru to third team All-SEC, All-Defense, All-Transfer, and named him the Rookie/Newcomer of the Year.
Let’s look at Dru’s stats, shall we? He led the SEC in steals (64, 2.1 per game), steals percentage (3.8), defensive win share (1.8) and was 6th in defensive rating (95.7). On his own team, he led Mizzou in scoring (12.7 ppg), assists (3.9), steals (2.1) and was third in rebounds (4.2) [source: Dave’s post]
Social media’s reaction to the ommittance was (as expected), not thrilled.
- Mizzou Hoops in general is confused. (me too)
List of SEC players since 2009 to hit or surpass 390 points, 130 boards, 120 assists and 64 steals in a season:— Mizzou Hoops (@MizzouHoops) March 10, 2020
▪️ Dru Smith
▪️ Ben Simmons
▪️ John Wall
That's it. That’s the list.
But not All-SEC worthy #ToTheFinishLine pic.twitter.com/UpGfZ6O9yM
- Associate Director of Strategic Communications, RJ Layton, made an interesting comparison (I don’t know who Player A is, btw— any guesses?)
In league play...— RJ Layton (@RJLayton_) March 10, 2020
Player A: 16 steals, 1.68 steal pct., 0.8 blocks per game
Player B: 39 steals, 3.76 steal pct., 0.4 blocks per game
Player A was All-Defensive, Player B received no recognition.
- Cuonzo’s thoughts on the snub, according to Dave Matter:
Cuonzo on Dru Smith snub: "There’s not a player when you look at the numbers that had the value he had across the board. It’s not a case of who won the most. You’ve got guys on the second team who won three games - and deserved it. Saban Lee’s a good player. But it’s unfortunate"— Dave Matter (@Dave_Matter) March 10, 2020
- Dave thought he’d at least make the defensive team. (same, Dave... same)
17 players make the SEC coaches all-conference first and second team. Nobody from Missouri. I thought Dru Smith would’ve made the all-defensive team but he’s left off there.— Dave Matter (@Dave_Matter) March 10, 2020
I’m filled with righteous indignation, dear readers. And so should you. Anyway, on to the links... I guess.
Yesterday at Rock M
- Resident Basketball Savants Sam & Matt talked in your ears about their new Grizz Cuts pod — devoted solely to their (not) newfound devotion to the Memphis Grizzlies, Ja Morant, and their recent pick-up, one Jontay Porter. But seriously, they put out a new Dive Cuts Podcast. Listen here or read the recap. Or do BOTH.
- Newer Matt published a hoops notebook, focusing on the Smith Triplets chatting up being “shot-ready.”
- Fearless Leader Sam asked an important question— can Mizzou make the NCAAT? He dove deeper into Mizzou’s game make-up and compared it to teams like Cincy to see how one team could make it in, and how another (MU) will not, barring an #improbabletourneyrun.
- WORTH REPEATING: Catch up with Josh’s weekly Three Outcomes baseball post if you haven’t already. It’s from Monday but I like to plug it repeatedly because it’s cool content.
- COMING UP!!! A new episode of the BTBS pod will be up, featuring our faves, BK & Nate (The Great). It’ll be downloadable on Apple Podcasts by the time you see this, no doubt.
- PowerMizzou ($$): Sean Williams (Rivals) wrote about OL Bryson Estes’ visit, who is also planning an Official.
- PowerMizzou (free): Gabe conducted a Q&A with redshirt freshman, CJ Boone.
- St. Louis Post-Dispatch: Matter said that the defense’s expectations are through the roof.
- KC Star: Souichi wrote that while the offense is drawing all the focus, Mizzou is relishing their defensive continuity.
- Columbia Missourian: Adam Cole ALSO wrote about the defense (popular topic these days), saying that since changes few and far between, Missouri’s defense may be “a couple of steps” ahead.
- Columbia Tribune: Eric Blum wrote about Columbia native & Rock Bridge grad, Tre Williams, who seeks a smooth, strong final season at Mizzou.
- Some recruiting news about 2021 East St. Louis QB Tyler Mason, per The Athletic’s Peter Baugh.
- Coach Drink on his coaching staff:
Eli Drinkwitz: "The coaching staff has got a good energy and vibe about them. ... They like to coach with each other, and I think our players like playing with each other.”— Peter Baugh (@Peter_Baugh) March 10, 2020
He also said the defense is ahead of the offense right now, which makes sense because of staff continuity.
- Some cool NewZou graphics from Mizzou Football’s twitter:
- Hard at work. Keep at it, fellas.
- PowerMizzou (free): Mitchell previewed Mizzou’s path in the SEC Tourney.
- KC Star: Souichi looked at how an improbable run in Nashville could affect Mizzou’s postseason outlook.
- Future broadcaster Mitchell Smith was on KTRS The Big Sports Show. Have a listen!!! Love to see (hear?) it!
- Some fundraising going on at the SEC Tourney in assistance of those impacted by the tornadoes:
- On the road (in the air) to Nashville:
- From our good friend Blake Lovell about the media/locker room access during the SEC Tourney during this virus-filled time:
The full statement from the SEC on its decision to limit locker room access for media at the tournament this week. Traditional press conferences only. pic.twitter.com/vEXhHXfnpJ— Blake Lovell (@theblakelovell) March 10, 2020
- The softball team had a helluva weekend but didn’t move in the polls. Next up for Larissa Anderson’s Tigers is a neutral site match-up against U of I at Lindenwood University today at 5pm (MUTigers.com)
- Super cool honor for Kara Decker, N4A Student-Athlete of the Month. According to their site, this is what the award recognizes:
In an effort to recognize and celebrate the achievements and accomplishments of these individuals, the National Association of Academic and Student-Athlete Development Professionals (N4A) will highlight one or more student-athletes each month for their determination to achieve success regardless of personal, academic and emotional challenges.
- Congrats to junior Chad McDaniel, who is on the watch list for college baseball’s best catcher. More info on MUTigers.com
For the 2nd consecutive year, #Mizzou junior Chad McDaniel has been named to the Buster Posey National Collegiate Catcher of the Year Watch List❗️— Mizzou Baseball (@MizzouBaseball) March 10, 2020
>> https://t.co/xm9xMdfbXG#C2E ⚾️ pic.twitter.com/bFkrDMXV2y
- Congrats, BieserBall, on the come-from-behind win, 6-3, against NIU! Senior LHP Art Joven was unhittable in relief. Really. Recap from MUTigers.com
Other Mizzou Sports News
- Gymnastics- Congrats to freshman Helen Hu AGAIN on her SEC Freshman of the Week honors after her phenomenal performance in Friday’s meet. More details on Helen’s award and the Tigers’ recent wins at MUTigers.com.
- Congrats to #TigerStyle wrestlers, Peyton Mocco and Wyatt Koelling on their at-large bids to the NCCA Tournament next week.
- Freshman diver Savana Trueb has moved on to the 3-meter finals of the NCAA Zone Diving meet, according to MUTigers.com. Action concludes today.
- Freshman diver Leonardo Garcia Varela qualified for the NCAA Championships in the 3-meter with his 6th place finish at the NCAA Zone Diving meet, according to MUTigers.com.
- The tumbling Tigers are moving up in the rankings! They are on the road this Saturday at Georgia. The meet is at 3pm CST, and will be streaming on SEC+.
- Best wishes to Track’s reps at the NCAA Indoor Championships this weekend in New Mexico!
- Check out the Missourian’s Local News Briefs, covering a variety of Mizzou Sports topics.
Mizzou in the Pros / Other Mizzou News
- Congrats, LDW!!!
The first 1⃣0⃣0⃣-yard receiving game in BattleHawks history belongs to @MizzouMonstar2!— St. Louis BattleHawks (@XFLBattleHawks) March 10, 2020
L'Damian Washington is your @SchnuckMarkets player of the game. #ForTheLoveOfFootball x #ClearedToEngage pic.twitter.com/t5YZpz1EvU
- Mizzou Giving Day is today. Employees received some cool reminder fliers that had Mizzou stickers on one side. I’ve gotta tell y’all, this got me all sorts of excited. I love some Mizzou stickers (or stickers in general, if we’re being completely honest).
- A month from Tuesday, Chase Daniel will be here... with GP. I really wish I had the money for this... SIGH.
One month from today, @ChaseDaniel is returning to Columbia!— Coach Gary Pinkel (@GaryPinkel) March 10, 2020
We're looking forward to having him back in town to re-live great @MizzouFootball memories and raise money for @mizzoutsf and @GPMADE_!
Join us in #MakingADifferenceEveryday! https://t.co/U15k2rqOrY pic.twitter.com/6BvYa97AeP
- Reiterating this- On March 14th, Rally for Rhyan has a new fundraiser, a Fight Night at Hearnes.
- If you’re looking to sign up for ESPN+, Rock M Nation now has an affiliate link: click Here for ESPN+ Now! (** RockMNation has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though RockMNation may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate links.**)