Farewell, spring sports season... We barely knew ye.
Well, that was over before it even really started. No spring sports. Just think it. There will be NO MIZZOU SPORTS until Fall 2020.
Let’s say our farewells, shall we?
Bye, Bieser Ball.
Baseball wrapped up their very short season with an 11-5 record, including ending on a 7-game win streak. They had yet to play a conference game. Bieser’s squad included 5 seniors, and we obviously do not know their future plans are at this time.
Adios, Larissa Anderson’s feisty squad
Softball’s shortened season ended with an overall 19-7 record, including 3-0 in SEC play. The undefeated play, by the way, had them tied for first place in the conference. WHERE’S THE BANNER?!? Anderson’s squad included only one senior, RHP Eli Daniel, so they should be returning a lot next season (sniff).
2020 may have come to a close, but this group has left a lasting impact on #Mizzou that will make this program stronger.— Mizzou Softball (@MizzouSoftball) March 17, 2020
It's been a memorable season. We'll see you all in 2021.#OwnIt pic.twitter.com/swyQBRyr4a
Outdoor Track & Field, you never even got started
That’s a damn shame. I have a fondness for Ja’Mari Ward, as I wrote about him in our Top Tigers of the Decade piece, and I was looking forward to seeing how he did this season.
Although our outdoor season is unable to occur, we will grow and move forward as a team and as a family.— Mizzou Track & Field (@MizzouTFXC) March 17, 2020
Our staff and student athletes will continue to take steps to stay safe and healthy during this time of social distancing.#TigerTough pic.twitter.com/Bp6dXSJGfH
We bid adieu to Men’s & Women’s Golf, Women’s Tennis
They didn’t share any additional information on social media, but their seasons came to abrupt halt as well. And that sucks. (stupid pandemic)
If you’re interesting in checking out the coverage about the season cancellation, here are some posts about it.
Anyway, on to the links. Mizzou beat writers are really, really trying here, and I thank them.
Yesterday at Rock M
- Nate the Great introduced to another new coach, DJ Smith! He will be coaching our linebackers, if you were not aware (I can’t even keep track these days).
- And just so I can continue to wallow in the loss of Tiger hoops, if you never checked out Fearless Leader Sam’s posts on Madness-less March and the death of Missouri Basketball (this season, guys, calm down), DO IT. It’s not like you have other things to whilst practicing social distancing and working from home.
Football & Hoops
- The Athletic ($$): Since there is basically nothing else going on, Peter gave his thoughts on each of the 36 scholarship players on the offensive side of the ball.
- Columbia Tribune: Eric Blum wrote a piece about one of our favorite former footballers, Cale Garrett, as he chases his NFL future.
- PowerMizzou ($$): Mitchell identified the perfect 2021 class, version 2.0. Sean Williams said that Mizzou is one of the top schools for Chicago safety, Benjamin Perry.
- KC Star: Souichi wrote that despite its sudden end, Cuonzo agreed with the tourney cancellations.
- Columbia Missourian: Briar Napier examined the men’s 2020-21 hoops roster as it stands (from March 15).
- Perhaps steer clear of this tweet from Corey Evans if you’re looking for positive Josh Christopher news.
- If you fast-forward to the 6 minute mark or so, you will hear my comments on Reed Nikko read by Friend of the Site Blake Lovell on his Locked on SEC Podcast.
Assorted Mizzou Sports News
- Peter Baugh of The Athletic put together a fun little bracket featuring top moments of all Mizzou sports teams since 2015 to face off against one another. I’m super interested in following this.
#Mizzou fans, here's a bracket of the best Tigers moments since the start of 2015. There's at least one moment from every Mizzou team.— Peter Baugh (@Peter_Baugh) March 18, 2020
What's your Final Four, and what moment wins it all? pic.twitter.com/3EKsA7vm7F
- Congrats to #MizzouMade Chase Daniel, the most financially successful back-up quarterback in the NFL, signed with the Detroit Lions in a reported 3 year, 13.05 million dollar deal. LOVE TO SEE IT. GET THAT MONEY, CHASE.
Words can’t describe how incredibly grateful my family is for our time in Chicago. We loved the city with all our hearts but it’s time for a new adventure in Detroit!!! We can’t wait to get to work!! #OnePride— Chase Daniel (@ChaseDaniel) March 17, 2020
P.S. I really like playing at Ford Field!!! pic.twitter.com/da66GtSpxX
- Souichi Terada of the KC Star covered the news of Chase Daniel and Connor McGovern’s new NFL homes.
- Dave Matter of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch went back in time, some 25 years, to look at the matchup of Norm Stewart vs. Bobby Knight in the NCAA Tourney.
- A message from Mizzou Gymnastics senior, Aspen Tucker.
Interesting/Non-specific Mizzou News
These are a few of the best sports stories & tidbits I found regarding some goings-on in sports. I must confess, I didn’t try all that hard to find stuff. I was really, really busy today trying to prepare for working from home for the foreseeable future, and then I had to work at my retail job tonight (people are wild, y’all).
- Gotta LOVE what the Chiefs players are doing here. Awesome, fellas. Just awesome.
Yessir! You can count me in for 15,000 meals for @HarvestersORG.— Patrick Mahomes II (@PatrickMahomes) March 17, 2020
Let’s keep the support going. @15andMahomies and I are committing $100,000 to organizations in KC affected by this crisis. More info on @15andMahomies. https://t.co/UKEhc38oA5
- Columbia Tribune: NCAA’s Emmert- March Madness was the Titanic and there was no way to avoid that coronavirus iceberg.
- Onion Sports Network: Kansas Basketball devastated they won’t get the opportunity to vacate their National Championship.
- If you’re looking to sign up for ESPN+, Rock M Nation now has an affiliate link: click Here for ESPN+ Now! (** RockMNation has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though RockMNation may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate links.**)