We’ve made it... it’s Friday. (giant sigh)
We’ve made it to Friday in what seems like the longest week ever, and I hope everyone is feeling okay. As someone who has never worked from home, the lack of face-to-face communication is depressing, the silence is deafening, and I’m truly not sure how I’m going to handle it, even after a few days.
I will say... I do like waking up later and being able to wear a hoodie and Mizzou tee all day. And I can listen to podcasts and music without earbuds in, so that’s nice. And the fact that I still am working and getting paid is a relief, when so many people I know are having a hard time as restaurants are laying off staff and businesses are cutting hours or closing. Please support your local restaurants and small businesses if you can. Get some takeout from a place directly so they get all the proceeds. Snatch up some gift cards to use later on. Buy a shirt from your favorite brewery that gives 100% of its proceeds back to its staff, like Logboat. Whatever you can do to help is greatly appreciated.
Anyway, back to sports! One other good thing about working from home... Writing the links posts is WAY easier with my whole workstation is at home, and I can get through them a helluva lot faster with two big ol’ monitors, as opposed to my iPad, which is what I normally use. I scoured the interwebs for Mizzou content today, and I’m pretty proud of the hodgepodge of Mizzou/sports/random things I found to share with you all.
To the links we go.
Yesterday at Rock M
- Basketball savants Sam & Matt were back with a new episode of Dive Cuts, where they discuss basketball in a time of quarantine.
- In case you missed it, both BK and Ryan gave their own takes on sports amidst the pandemic.
- St. Louis Post-Dispatch: Dave wrote about SEC Commish Greg Sankey’s thoughts on the upcoming college football season.
- The Athletic ($$): Peter continues to do really cool stories for this site, including this one released Thursday— Sports have stopped at Mizzou before: The flu derailed the 1918 football season.
- PowerMizzou (free): Matt Hamilton put together a film room on 2021 DT Mekhi Wingo.
- Rivals ($$): Tim O’Halloran talked with ESL Mizzou wide receiver target, Dominic Lovett.
- Heavy recruiting prospect, Travion Ford, is impressed by the coaching staff’s handwritten communication. As someone who moonlights as a greeting card writer, this makes my heart happy. Snail mail is not dead, y’all!
Big Thanks to the ENTIRE @MizzouFootball @CoachDrinkwitz @CoachBrickHaley @Coach_Walters coaching staff for all the written cards and checking in on me and my family during this time Appreciate it #Mizzou pic.twitter.com/iUGBsCizjN— Travion Ford ® (@Tre_Got_Skills) March 19, 2020
- In former favorite QB news, according to CBS Sports, it seems that Broncos will release Joe Flacco after signing a back up for our main man, Drew Lock. BYEEEEEEEEE.
- Andy Kimball of the Columbia Missourian wrote a piece on NFL QB journeyman, Chase Daniel.
- Mitch Morse is a really good dude.
Adversity brings out the best in humanity.— Buffalo Bills (@BuffaloBills) March 19, 2020
The Morse Family is donating $100,000 to @FeedMoreWNY which will help our elderly, youth and other community members during this challenging time.
Donate to FeedMore WNY today: https://t.co/NgkDpVjCHC pic.twitter.com/Pho4TUGcXg
- Columbia Missourian: Briar Napier examined Cuonzo’s tenure thus far, after three years.
- Columbia Tribune: Eric Blum went inside the booth with Tom Hart as SEC reaches standstill.
- We miss you too, Mizzou women’s hoops.
- There may be no March Madness, but there ARE the Manager Games. Up in the Midwest first round— #5 Mississippi State vs. #12 Mizzou. Get on that twitter and help ‘em out, you guys!
- 2022 offers are going out, and the first ones to pop up were to Chaminade center, Tarris Reed Jr, and Blue Valley forward, Aidan Shaw. Matt & Sam are high on both of them if you’ve seen their social media.
- Josh Christopher might be announcing this weekend. per his social media. It ain’t us, guys. It’s not. SIGH.
- Jeff Borzello of ESPN looked at the top hoops transfers currently on the market for a new home in both 2020-21 and 2021-22. Editor’s note: Be sure to check out Matt’s post today sometime before the lunch hour about Mizzou’s approach to ‘crootin.
- A week old, but Forbes’ Chris Manning called Jontay Porter a smart, low-risk signing for the Grizzlies.
Assorted Mizzou Sports News
- Dave Matter of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch published No. 29 in his Best of Mizzou list. Congrats, Molly Kreklow!
- Mitchell Forde and Gabe DeArmond of PowerMizzou were back with new hot takes on their Blowin’ Smoke, Presented by Weston Tobacco series (free).
- Steve Walentik of PowerMizzou wrote another volume—86!!— of his What Just Happened series, the last of the season. Good news, it’s free content!
- #TigerStyle said goodbye to their 4-year videographer, Logan Ball.
As a senior, this guy was supposed to shoot his final @ncaawrestling championships this weekend.— Shawn Davis (@ShawnDizzle77) March 18, 2020
If you've watched a video on @MizzouWrestling over the last 4 years, it was made by this guy. He took that brand & account to the next level.
Thanks to @Logan_Ball for everything pic.twitter.com/4Wot7JGlJa
- The Tiger Sidelines crew (Dave, Gabe and Beau) took their talents to YouTube. (if it was on there before, I really didn’t know)
- A message from Mizzou Gymnastics senior, Mary Nicholson.
Interesting/Non-specific Mizzou News
These are a few of the best sports stories & tidbits I found regarding some goings-on in sports and the world (no spiders).
- Former Rock M writer, Mr Tramel Raggs, along with other Washington Post staffers, identified the best sports movies to watch during the coronavirus outbreak.
- This came out a few days ago, but if you haven’t yet checked out Dana O’Neil’s piece in The Athletic ($$) on the college coaching wives and how they’re handling their husbands being home for significant amounts of time, it’s hilarious.
- My work life continues to be turned upside down, and I just don’t even know at this point what is going on with my office’s online classes.
Effective on 3/23, no one will physically work on any of our universities unless requested to do so by an appropriate supervisor. This excludes MU Health Care and ongoing clinical operations. At this time, employees will be expected back to work on 4/13. https://t.co/2vtBhMQ5X2— UM System (@umsystem) March 19, 2020
- Former Mizzou guard Frankie Hughes is on the move again, according to Travis Branham. The Dusquene redshirt junior will be a grad transfer.
- Farewell, AK! We wish you the best! Evan Daniels of 247 had the scoop that Kennedy is leaving the SEC to coach UAB. Broadcasts with Kennedy and Tom Hart just will not be the same.
- Mizzou alum Sheryl Crow will be honored at this year’s Roots n Blues Fest.
- Blues fan or not, this piece by Hochman at the Post-Dispatch about Laila is a must read.
“Mommy,” Laila said, “those people reached out when I was in isolation, and now we’re all in isolation, so everyone should be reaching out to each other to make sure we’re all OK. Or if we can help one another. We’re all in it together.”— Benjamin Hochman (@hochman) March 19, 2020
On Laila today: https://t.co/m2fX3cFCqK pic.twitter.com/R6QBtAwJnw
- Here’s some songs to get you through social distancing that are pretty funny. (thanks for the share, mom)
- If you’re looking to sign up for ESPN+, Rock M Nation now has an affiliate link: click Here for ESPN+ Now! (** RockMNation has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though RockMNation may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate links.**)