Mizzou alum Woody Widenhofer passes away at age 77
Yesterday, the tragic news came down that former Mizzou linebacker and head coach Woody Widenhofer passed away at the age of 77. Prayers, well wishes and thoughts to the family in this difficult time. If you’ve got any, feel free to leave your favorite Widenhofer memories in the comments.
Several members of the Mizzou Football community expressed their condolences and sentiments. Check them out below:
Sad to hear about former @MizzouFootball coach and player Woody Widenhofer!! He was a great man that Mizzou will always remember!!— Coach Gary Pinkel (@GaryPinkel) March 24, 2020
Thanks to the Widenhofer family for sharing a few photos, including this gem with his two sons, Ryan & Ross, and that can't-miss Super Bowl ring. pic.twitter.com/5kGKaSfa42— Dave Matter (@Dave_Matter) March 23, 2020
Sorry to hear of the passing of Coach Woody Widenhofer...many prayers to the family. Coach was a great LB, coach, mentor and leader!— Barry Odom (@Coach_Odom) March 23, 2020
But it wasn’t just Mizzou. Fans of both Vanderbilt and the Pittsburgh Steelers grieved as well:
“I share the sadness of Commodore Nation with the news that Woody Widenhofer has passed. Coach Widenhofer was regarded as one of the best defensive minds ever. I send my prayers and sympathies to Coach Widenhofer’s family, his VU student-athletes and all who knew him.” ⚓️⬇️ pic.twitter.com/sOKvJheu1h— Derek Mason (@CoachDerekMason) March 23, 2020
More Mizzou Links:
- If you’ve got a subscription to The Athletic, Peter Baugh has an excellent piece on Tyler Macon, Mizzou’s latest QB recruit, and how he made the decision to become a Tiger.
- Karissa Schweizer opens up about the IOC’s decision to delay the 2020 Tokyo Olympics. The Mizzou great was vying for a spot on Team USA:
- Hey, hey, look at Robin Pingeton go! The recruiting wizard secured the commitment of Mama Dembele, a touted PG recruit out of Spain.
- Western Michigan is looking for a new head basketball coach, and The Detroit News says Missouri assistant Cornell Mann is a candidate.
- Mizzou Football reminded us that you can relive Mizzou’s historic 2003 win over Nebraska on YouTube.
- Ben Frederickson posted five topics that sports fans should be discussing in the absence of daily sports news at the St. Louis Post Dispatch.
- Mizzou alum Kim English flirted with the idea of becoming a head coach, but decided to stay on Rick Barnes’ staff at Tennessee. The Knoxville News Sentinel explained why.
- Wanna hang out with former TE Martin Rucker? He’s doing an Instagram live at 8pm tonight to watch the 2007 MU vs. KU Border War game!
I've NEVER seen the telecast of the 2007 MU vs. kU Border War and there's no better time than now during #StayHomeKC! Watch the game with @gregrazer and me on Instagram live, 2mrrw nite @ 8pm. Grab a cold one, click the link below and find me on Instagram! https://t.co/QjkrFe5jyV pic.twitter.com/QqtH03kqqn— Martin Rucker (@RuckerSouthSide) March 24, 2020
- To finish off our Mizzou links today, a special message from Eli Drinkwitz:
A special message to our Mizzou family pic.twitter.com/py3Ph5EHRa— Eliah Drinkwitz (@CoachDrinkwitz) March 23, 2020
Yesterday at Rock M
Generally this is where we deposit the Missouri-related links that don’t fit with the bigger theme. HOWEVER, there are only so many of those to go around these days.
So as long as I’m doing links (Mondays and Tuesdays!) I’ll be posting stuff that’s getting me through this craziness.
- Missing March Madness something fierce? Vote in the SB Nation FanPulse NCAA Tournament! Register here to sign up for FanPulse, and you’ll immediately be able to decide who moves on in this year’s tournament! Sign up enough people so we can vote Kansas and Illinois out! DO IT!
- Because I’m a native St. Louisan, I’m going to use this chance to promote a thing that made me feel civic pride today:
St. Louis is not a perfect city, but I’d like to think we’d never let anything this abysmal fly from our football team. At least the Battlehawks logo is bad in a weirdly good way.
- Are you a fan of the Bad Boys movies? Still haven’t seen Bad Boys For Life or want to watch it again? You’re in luck — the biggest movie of the year is hitting on-demand services early (like so many other films) due to COVID-19.
- Here’s an article on several different ways to make garlic bread, because what else are you going to do?
- Calling all sad white boys: Sufjan Stevens has a new record out today, and you can stream it in full right now on YouTube! Also probably on Spotify and stuff at this point, but this is the only link I’ve got on hand at the moment, cut me some slack. For fans of electronica, folk and dream pop.
- Finally, if you’re a Columbia resident and wanting to support local restaurants and practice responsible social distancing, check out this link provided by Logboat Brewing.
Columbia friends! The wonderful humans @SavorColumbia have compiled a database of local restaurants that are still operating. You can find what services they are offering and how to contact them by clicking the link below. https://t.co/DEHYLIlwOx— Logboat Brewing Co. (@LogboatBrewing) March 23, 2020
- If you’re looking to sign up for ESPN+, Rock M Nation now has an affiliate link: click Here for ESPN+ Now! (** RockMNation has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though RockMNation may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate links.**)