Those in desperate need of Mizzou Sports are in luck!
SEC Takeover time is here! Beginning 11pm Tuesday night through the 8pm timeslot tonight it’s all Mizzou, baby! With the recent stay-at-home orders for a lot of places (Columbia announced theirs this morning), what else do you have to but watch Mizzou ALL DAY LONG.
On the docket:
(Side note: Where’s women’s hoops in this? Gymnastics?)
In need of additional Mizzou coverage? You can relive Mizzou’s 2010 win over Oklahoma on YouTube!
️ Wobbly squib kick bounces at the 20, picked up by an up-man...— Mizzou Football (@MizzouFootball) March 24, 2020
You know the rest.
Relive #Mizzou's 2010 win over Oklahoma in a condensed game ⤵️
https://t.co/hyMLK00ltW#MIZ x #NewZou pic.twitter.com/JyqPRzb2VA
To the links!
Yesterday at Rock M
- Nate the Great introduced our last of the new coaching hires, Charlie Harbison, who has THIRTY-SEVEN years of coaching experience!
- Josh wrote about Cuonzo Martin, and the risk of playing it too safe. It’s really good, and you should DEFINITELY check it out!
- COMING UP: Later this morning, check out the player review on Jeremiah Tilmon (AKA Dino Jammies), and we’ll have a podcast post up.
- PowerMizzou ($$): Matt Hamilton, recruiting analyst, put together a Film Room on 2021 commit, OL Connor Tollison.
- Yahoo Sports: Eric Edholm identified DT Jordan Elliot as # 42 in his overall NFL prospects list.
- St. Louis Post-Dispatch: Dave continued his countdown of the Best of Mizzou with # 26, Justin Gage! He also wrote a piece about how Mizzou was ‘always so close’ but never turned the corner in the four-year ride on Woody’s Wagon.
- Chicago Tribune: Brad Biggs wrote a must-read story about former Mizzou star & Chicago Bears assistant, Brock Olivo, who’s been quarantined in Italy during their coronavirus lockdown calling it, “as close to apocalyptic as we have ever seen.”
- USA Today: The Broncos Wire wrote about how John Elway is building an exciting offense around Drew Lock.
- Columbia Missourian: Adam Cole talked with Marcell Frazier talked about his shortened XFL debut season.
- RECRUITING NEWS: Utah Valley grad transfer, Isaiah White told Stockrisers that Mizzou as a suitor, among others. Here’s Matt’s thoughts on the combo forward. Matt also gave some thoughts on BGSU transfer target, Justin Thomas. Four targets from the Mitten showed up on MLive’s Mr. Basketball 2021 watch list.
- There may be no March Madness, but there ARE the Manager Games. Up in the Midwest Sweet 16 — #1 Michigan vs. #12 Mizzou. Get on that twitter and help ‘em out, you guys!
Let’s keep our Cinderella story going! Come on Mizzou Nation! Please vote below⬇️⬇️⬇️ https://t.co/IvDzGY9lfy— Mizzou MBB Managers (@MizMbbManagers) March 24, 2020
- Bye, Tray. Best of luck at your new destination.
- PowerMizzou: Tuesday’s free archived story was a flashback to Eric Bossi’s piece on Michael Porter, Jr, who committed to Mizzou three years ago Tuesday. Sigh. What a day that was. I remember it vividly.
- Andrew Kaufman of ABC17, in honor of MPJ’s commitment three years ago, released his highlight package.
WATCH: Three years ago today - former @ToltonAthletics star @MPJr committed to play for #Mizzou hoops. Here's the highlight PKG I ran the night he made his announcement. A lot has changed since then, but I'm happy to see MPJ healthy again and thriving in the NBA. pic.twitter.com/tddAYZdwjB— Andrew Kauffman (@AndrewABC17) March 24, 2020
- SB Nation: The Denver Stiffs assigned a 2019-20 season grade for Michael Porter, Jr.
- Forbes.com: Andy Bailey put together a 2019-20 season review on new Utah Jazz guard Jordan Clarkson.
Assorted Mizzou Sports News
- Mitchell Forde of PowerMizzou wrote an absolutely heartbreaking piece called Stories Without an End about Mizzou winter sport athletes as they learned their seasons had abruptly ended. I highly recommend it.
- Dave Matter, Gabe DeArmond, and Beau Bahmond put out the final episode of the season of Tiger Sidelines on YouTube. Check it out!
- Have a listen to the Locked on Mizzou Podcast, which discussed such topics as how Barry Odom and Coach Drink differ in quarterback analysis and Kim English’s coaching aspirations, among other things.
- With an honor that should surprise exactly no one given how many times she won SEC Gymnast of the Week, freshman Helen Hu was awarded TWO All-America honors from the WCGA! Congrats, Helen!! Read the story at MUTigers.com.
- Cayla Kessinger checked in at # 16 on Softball America’s Top 100! Congrats, Cayla! Read the story at MUTigers.com.
- Check out these team-leading stats from Mizzou Baseball first baseman Brandt Belk!
Final 2020 #Mizzou Statistical Leaders— Mizzou Baseball (@MizzouBaseball) March 24, 2020
▪️ AVG (.457)
▪️ H (21)
▪️ SLG% (.652)
▪️ OBP (.544)
▪️ Multi-hit games (7)
▪️ Multi-RBI games (4)
1B @brandtbelk SHOWED OUT in his debut Tigers campaign #C2E ⚾️ pic.twitter.com/RRpAykEdy7
- Columbia Tribune: Eric Blum wrote about how Missouri Baseball is trying to figure out how to operate best in the new normal.
Interesting/Non-specific Sports News
These are a few of the best sports stories & tidbits I found regarding some goings-on in sports and college.
- Never mind the story the tweet links to, but CJ Moore shared that The Athletic is having a free trial for 90 DAYS. Might as well try it out now, y’all. You won’t regret it!
- This is going to be EPIC. On the new E:60 on ESPN Friday, Being Rex Chapman.
- USA athletes reacted to the news of the postponement of the 2020 Tokyo Olympics (Columbia Tribune/USA Today Sports Network).
- USA Today’s article said that the impact of coronavirus means NCAA faces $475 million decrease in revenue, credit-rating firm estimates.
- Celebrating National Puppy Day, former Mizzou WR, and current Mizzou Assistant Director of Student-Athlete Development, Larry Bud Sasser got himself a pup! Welcome to the Mizzou family, Prince!
- David Freese, former St. Louis Cardinal and World Series MVP did a MoDOT PSA reminding us to be safe. Will do, Freeser.
- GP offered up some advice, asking that we utilize teamwork at its highest level.
- In gross news, Ole Miss apparently thinks there’s no time like the present to ask their donors to donate to Mississippi in their wills. Really?
- In other despicable news, Liberty University continues to be THE WORST. According to the Richmond Times-Dispatch, Jerry Falwell Jr wants students to return to their dorms and faculty/staff to return to work... amidst a world health crisis.
- Because it’s my favorite comedy and so rewatchable, I must sadly remind you all that only the two-part finale remains of my beloved Schitt’s Creek.
I have learned many valuable lessons from David Rose that coincide with current events, such as:
“The internet is a breeding ground for freaks” -no explanation needed, y’all know this
“I’m trying very hard not to connect with people right now” - the perfect motto for social distancing
“I’m gonna need a stiff drink to get through this.” -says every person bored out of their skull working from home and being stuck indoors
“Very uninterested in that opinion.” -also pertains to the internet and some spidery things I’ll not name
Can’t believe it. Tonight is the last episode before our two part finale starting next week, everybody. And the stakes are as anxiety inducing as David’s denim skort. Hope you’ll join me on Tweeters this eve. x #schittscreek pic.twitter.com/uWF7iaShBx— dan levy (@danjlevy) March 24, 2020
- If you’re looking to sign up for ESPN+, Rock M Nation now has an affiliate link: click Here for ESPN+ Now! (** RockMNation has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though RockMNation may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate links.**)