The Women’s SEC Tourney begins today, and we wish the best of luck to Robin Pingeton’s Tigers!
At approximately 12:30 today on the SEC Network, the # 11 seed Missouri Tigers will face off against # 14 Mississippi (winless in conference play) in Greenville, SC to start what hopes to be a good SEC Tourney for them. Here’s a preview from MUTigers.com, as well as a piece from the Columbia Tribune’s Eric Blum on the Tigers’ laser-like focus coming into the tournament.
Here’s some scenes around Greenville in their first day at the arena:
In a bit of awesome news for an admittedly disappointing season for the Tigers, freshman duo Hayley Frank and Aihja Blackwell were named to the All-SEC Freshman Team! Blackwell averaged 15.1 points per game her rookie season, first among SEC freshmen, and 7th overall. Frank averaged 12.2 points per game, which is 7th among SEC freshmen, and 27th overall.
They found out about their newly bestowed honors while on their way to Greenville today.
Congrats to the dynamic freshmen duo, and best of luck to the Tigers in the Tourney!
To the links!
Yesterday at Rock M
- Resident Basketball Savants Sam & Matt returned with a new episode of their Dive Cuts Podcast. Listen here or read the recap.
- Catch up with Josh’s weekly Three Outcomes baseball post if you haven’t already.
- PowerMizzou ($$): Sean Williams (Rivals) provided an outlook on Mizzou’s 2021 Defensive End recruits.
- PowerMizzou: Mitchell Forde continued his spring preview with the defensive tackles.
- WR Chance Luper signed his national letter of intent.
- Just a few more days til Spring practice starts!
- PowerMizzou ($$): Gabe put out his weekly By the Numbers piece on the Mizzou - Ole Miss match up.
- Tune in at tonight to see the Tigers face off against Breein Tyree and the Ole Miss Rebels at 8pm.
- Mizzou-Ole Miss Previews: Eric Blum (Columbia Tribune). MUTigers.com preview. Briar Napier (Columbia Missourian). Dave Matter (St. Louis Post-Dispatch).
- Reed Nikko has been everything we could possibly want this season, and we’ll miss him greatly.
- St. Louis Post-Dispatch: Dave Matter wrote about the women’s SEC awards. He also wrote a really great piece on Blackwell’s freshman season giving the Tigers cause for hope.
- MUTigers.com also had a piece about the awards for Frank and Blackwell.
- Check out this cool video on the second generation Tigers!
- New softball rankings! Larissa Anderson’s team also checks in at # 24 in the USA Softball poll!
- The softball team is back in action today against UMKC at 4pm as part of their 10-game home stand. Preview from MUTigers.com
- Congrats to Brandt Belk and Peter Zimmerman who were named to the All-Tournament team for their performances over the weekend. Congrats, guys!
Other Mizzou Sports News
- Gymnastics- Congrats to freshman Helen Hu AGAIN on her SEC Freshman of the Week honors after her phenomenal performance in Friday’s meet. More details on Helen’s award and the Tigers’ recent wins at MUTigers.com.
- The tumbling Tigers are moving up in the rankings!
- Swimming & Diving held a last chance qualifier February 29- March 1, and sophomore Jack Dahlgren secured a spot at the upcoming NCAA Championships. (MUTigers.com)
- This is cool! Keep it up, Mizzou student-athletes!
Mizzou in the Pros / Former Player News
- Souichi Terada wrote about the about Missouri’s newest inductee into the SEC Legends class. While he never actually played in the SEC, Steve Stipanovich is Mizzou’s much-deserved honoree.
- I may be reading this wrong, but it looks like Kash, everyone’s fave former grad transfer, might be in the building on Saturday for Reed Nikko’s Senior Day? (screams in excitement)
- Brad Loos announced a new Rally for Rhyan fundraiser, a Fight Night at Hearnes.
- If you’re looking to sign up for ESPN+, Rock M Nation now has an affiliate link: click Here for ESPN+ Now! (** RockMNation has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though RockMNation may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate links.**)