It was a busy Wednesday for Mizzou athletics as women’s basketball, softball, and men’s basketball were all in action. Let’s start off with the good news.
Survive and advance. The Mizzou women’s basketball team started off their SEC Tournament run in Greenville, South Carolina with a 64-53 win over Ole Miss on Wednesday afternoon. Aijha Blackwell led the team with 16 points, and the Tigers advance to the second round to face No. 6 seed Tennessee tonight at 7:00 p.m. CST on SEC Network.
Onto softball, as Missouri beat in-state opponent UMKC 11-0 at home with a run-rule win. It was the team’s third shutout of the season, and the Tigers improved to 16-6 on the season. Up next, Mizzou opens up SEC play March 6th-8th as they host Ole Miss!
On the men’s hoops side, it was yet another frustrating loss. Xavier Pinson led the team with 16 points, but the Tigers are now 14-16 (6-11 SEC) on the season heading into Senior Day on Saturday against Alabama. Let’s win this one for Reed Nikko!
Meanwhile, Mizzou drops to 12th place in the SEC and a lot will need to happen for them to avoid the dreaded Wednesday night game.
This tweet sums up the Missouri basketball season perfectly. They simply just can’t get over the hump.
There are times where it feels like Mizzou has to scratch and claw for every single point. Absolutely ZERO easy baskets. Somehow they hang around to make it semi-interesting.— Brendan Wiese (@bwiese16) March 5, 2020
With that being said, onto the links!
Yesterday at Rock M
- Brandon Kiley has his Five Mizzou football stories to monitor throughout spring camp
- Hoops Preview: Ole Miss and Missouri are fighting for relevance, writes Josh Matejka
- Live Thread: Missouri takes on Ole Miss, by Matthew Antonic
- Ole Miss outdoes Missouri, writes Matthew Antonic in his gamer
- Q and A with Mizzou football strength coach Zac Woodfin, writes Mitchell Forde
- Forde has his Keys to the Game and prediction in Tiger Tipoff Preview: Ole Miss
- For subscribers, read up on Gabe DeArmond’s latest mailbag ($$)
- And one: Mizzou can’t marry offense, defense in loss at Ole Miss, from Mitchell Forde
- Postgame video: Cuonzo Martin, courtesy of RebelGrove.com’s Neal McCready
- From Dave Matter, Another early deficit, another SEC road loss for Mizzou
- From Souichi Terada, Mizzou basketball again comes close but sputters late against Mississippi
(The Athletic) - $$
- Exit interview: Christian Holmes on his decision to transfer from Missouri, from Peter Baugh (editor’s note: this piece is awesome)
- SEC Tournament brings journey full circle for MU’s Brown family, writes Owen Krucoff
- No. 23/24 Mizzou Softball Run-Rules Kansas City
- Mizzou Women’s Basketball Defeats Ole Miss in Opening Round of SEC Tournament
- Mizzou Baseball Hosts Western Illinois This Weekend in Home-Opening Series
- Mizzou Track and Field to Send Three to NCAA Indoor Championships
- The weather in COMO for Mizzou Baseball’s opening series against Western Illinois is beautiful!
- The Mizzou Swim and Dive team have qualified four individual swimmers to the NCAA Championships. Congrats, ladies!
- BIG Mizzou target Travion Ford from Lutheran North appreciates the recruiting effort love from the coaching staff
- Spring practice for Mizzou Football is coming SOON!
- Good ball movement = buckets
- If you’re looking to sign up for ESPN+, Rock M Nation now has an affiliate link: click Here for ESPN+ Now! (** RockMNation has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though RockMNation may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate links.**)