Happy April 1st, a day just like any other day these days.
April Fool’s Day does not exist this year. No funny business.
Also, there is REALLY not much Mizzou news aside from hoops recruiting— everyone is talking about THE Justin Turner, as well as the news that three of Mizzou’s players will be testing the NBA waters while firmly holding onto the life vest that is their eligibility. (Editor’s note: If you can’t comprehend why what they’re doing is a good thing, then kindly reference Ryan’s article— or any of the major Mizzou pubs and/or their twitters)
So, let’s just proceed, shall we? I’ve got A LOT of random cool stories at the bottom of the page, and I hope you will consider checking them out. Please?
Yesterday at Rock M
- Nate the Great wrote a whole lotta words about The David Gibbs Experience, and whether or not he can really call himself the Turnover King.
- Site Manager Sam shared with us the results of the very chalky Fan Pulse bracket so far. He went as far to redact the School that Shall Not Be Named.
- Ryan wrote some words later in the afternoon about Mitch, JT, and X-Man submitting their names to be evaluated for the draft.
- WORTH REPEATING: Catch up with Sam’s season-ending study hall series. Might as well read the good stuff — like this one, where he looked at how they did in WINS— before he gets to the rough patches, y’all.
- COMING UP!!! Later this morning, check out ROUND 3 of Nate & BK’s MTL draft and a piece by Mr. Matthew J Harris on Mizzou target Justin Turner (his name should ring a bell by now).
- PowerMizzou (free): Josh Helmholdt, Rivals.com recruiting analyst, looked at 2022 5-star WR, Luther Burden, from Cardinal Ritter HS in St. Louis.
- St. Louis Post-Dispatch: Dave continued his countdown of the Best of Mizzou with No. 21, Markus Golden!
- St. Louis Post-Dispatch: Gordo wrote about Chase Daniel’s astounding NFL career.
- The Athletic ($$): Peter conducted a Q&A with long snapper PWO Daniel Hawthorne, who has immersed himself in Mizzou recruiting. Reminder: The Athletic is having a free trial for 90 DAYS. Might as well try it out now, y’all. You won’t regret it!
- Mizzou made the top 10 for East St. Louis WR, Keontez Lewis, teammate of QB commit, Tyler Macon, according to Peter Baugh of The Athletic.
- Not really Mizzou-related, but interesting nonetheless. If you check out Ross Dellenger (former KC Star writer now at SI) and his graphic below, you can see how things look for a school like LSU, and why football really does help pay for all the other non-revenue sports.
When you hear things from ADs like "football allows us to have other sports," this is what they mean.— Ross Dellenger (@RossDellenger) March 31, 2020
Take #LSU. Here are profit/loss numbers from each LSU sport in the 2016-17 cycle, from my time as a beat writer.
- Football: $56M in profit
- Other sports: ~$23M in losses pic.twitter.com/3Giw1YrdZF
- PowerMizzou ($$): Mitchell Forde did a transfer profile on Mizzou target, Justin Turner. He also wrote about the Tiger Trio testing the NBA waters.
- St. Louis Post-Dispatch: Dave covered the news of the trio declaring for the NBA draft while keeping their eligibility. He also wrote about Bowling Green grad transfer, Justin Turner— I told you all he was popular. There’s a nice Q&A inside that I highly recommend.
- The guys at the Locked on Mizzou podcast chatted about how Justin Turner fits in the offense and who’s the best NBA prospect on the Tigers’ roster, among other topics. Give it a listen.
- Surprise! Major hoops target Josh Christopher, altered his list by... ADDING another school?! Yay. But guess what, Mizzou is still there!!
- MUTigers.com story on Xavier, Jeremiah & Mitchell
- Hi DeMarre, we miss you too.
MIZZOU the good ole days pic.twitter.com/uiyJng0QsM— DeMarre Carroll (@DeMarreCarroll1) March 31, 2020
Assorted Mizzou Sports News
- Volleyball took a fond trip down memory lane, reminiscing about the 2016 SEC Champions team. (MUTigers.com)
- Here’s an update from Athletic Director Jim Sterk if you haven’t read it yet. (MUTigers.com)
- This week’s Mizzou Lathrop GPM 3 Stripes Club Nominee is Jake Wirthwein of Track & Field.
- Wrestling did a cool little tribute thread to celebrate their NINE STRAIGHT conference titles, starting with 2011-12 Big 12 Champions. Click on the tweet to see the thread. [starts singing Memories]
- Coach Anderson did a zoom check-in with her team. How fun!
- Gymnastics showed a 2020 highlight, where Mizzou tied its team bars record at a meet on Valentine’s Day. Also in gymnastics news, the Tigers added two new tumblers, Jena Swanson of Montana and Kalise Newsom of Colorado to their roster. (note to self: get to gymnastics meet next season)
- Swimming & Diving thanked 3-time NCAA qualifier, senior Daniel Hein.
A 3-time NCAA qualifier and CoSIDA Academic first team All-American. Your team first mentality speaks volumes of they type of leader and person that you are. NO one can grow a stache like you.— Mizzou Swim & Dive (@MizzouSwimDive) March 27, 2020
Thank you, Dan. pic.twitter.com/MpbRZApvt3
Interesting/Non-specific Sports News
These are a few of the best sports stories & tidbits I found regarding some goings-on in sports and beyond. (Today was mostly sports)
- The military assessed Mizzou sports venues as overflow health care centers. (Dave Matter, St. Louis Post-Dispatch)
- The Tokyo Olympics have officially be rescheduled for exactly a year later than their original dates. (Stephen Wade, AP / via Columbia Missourian)
- Opinion: If the Olympics are to be held in 2021, the organizers need every day to pull them off. (Nancy Armour, USA Today)
- How multiple-time WNBA All-Star, Olympian, former amazing UCONN Huskie, and owner of the coolest name, Swin Cash became the NBA’s highest-raking woman in basketball operations. This is a really, really, really awesome story, and I really hope you will take the time to read it. (Vincent Goodwill, Yahoo Sports)
- In “Denied on the doorstep of the Final Four: Two shots she’ll never forget,” (Josh Weinfuss, ESPN) former Xavier player, Dee Dee Jernigan, rehashes how in 2010, missing two layups in the Elite 8 kept Xavier from knocking off then No. 1 seed Stanford to go to their first Final Four. Those mistakes in some 20 seconds drastically altered Dee Dee’s life trajectory, and the story, told on the 10-year anniversary of the game, is a must-read. Seriously, read it.
- Best Teams Ever bracket series: Who was the greatest of all time? lets you pick from brackets for every major sport ranging from the NFL to Nascar to college hoops. Check it out! (Yahoo Sports)
- What it’s like conducting a coaching search when sports are shut down is an interesting story. (Ross Dellenger, Sports Illustrated)
- In case the NFL is your kinda thing (it’s not mine), ESPN ranked the best just-missed teams of the past 30 years now that the expanded NFL playoffs are here. (Adam Schatz, Football Outsiders)
- Bye, Reggie Perry! Best wishes in the NBA Draft! Mississippi State forward and noted Mizzou destroyer, Reggie Perry, has entered the NBA Draft. (ESPN/Associated Press)
- If you’re looking to sign up for ESPN+, Rock M Nation now has an affiliate link: click Here for ESPN+ Now! (** RockMNation has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though RockMNation may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate links.**)