Mizzou Coaches & AD take voluntary pay cuts and Coach P puts out her bat signal
Hey, all! Happy Friday!
In a bit of unselfish and awesome Mizzou news, reports indicated Thursday evening that several Tiger head coaches, as well as Athletic Director Jim Sterk, agreed to 10% temporary pay cuts to help out the athletic department finances in the wake of COVID-19.
All the usual sources reported on this— I believe Mr Matter was first on the Twitter— so check out their stories here: Dave Matter (St. Louis Post-Dispatch). Souichi Terada (KC Star). Eli Hoff (The Maneater). Gabe DeArmond (PowerMizzou).
Here’s the official statement from the Athletic Department about it, per Dave Matter:
Mizzou coaches Cuonzo Martin, Robin Pingeton, Eli Drinkwitz, Steve Bieser, Brian Smith all agree to salary reductions from May 1 to July 31. Statement from AD Jim Sterk. pic.twitter.com/1CSqS7GBk3— Dave Matter (@Dave_Matter) April 17, 2020
Cheers to Zo, Brian Smith, Coach Drink, Coach Bieser, and Coach P!
On Thursday night, Head Coach Robin Pingeton put out a bat signal with this tweet, as well as another one featuring several winky faces saying she’d just finished a great Zoom call.
Well, we know now what this was in response to, Tiger fans!
Sarah Linthacum, a forward from Jeff City, has committed to the Tigers! If the name sounds familiar, older sister Micah is already on the team. Welcome, Sarah!
Excited to announce that I’m committing to the University of Missouri! Thank you to my family for supporting me. Thank you to The Lady Jays and MO Phenom players and coaches for everything. I’m excited to play in the SEC as a tiger! #MIZ @MizzouWBB pic.twitter.com/OxFJ8CmJiW— Sarah Linthacum (@sarahlinthacum) April 17, 2020
Side Note: What I wouldn’t give for a Cuonzo sippin coffee GIF right now....
On to the links!
Yesterday at Rock M
- Rock M’s own basketball overlords, Sam and Matt, were back with a new episode of Dive Cuts, featuring the super awesome CJ Moore of The Athletic. It’s not all sunshine and rainbows, y’all, but I highly suggest checking it out!
- Nate the Great published a draft profile on the under-used Albert O.
- Matt wrote how transfer target David DeJulius did NOT commit to Missouri.
- IN CASE YOU MISSED IT: Coach Bussen analyzed QB Shawn Robinson’s weaknesses in Part 3 of his Film Room. He’ll have more coming, don’t you worry!
- COMING UP!!! The next round of the MTL Draft and another player review- PARKER BRAUN!
- Columbia Missourian: Liam Quinn wrote about how the lack of a COVID-19 vaccine and other obstacles stand in the way of a college football season. Check it out!
- Missourian (more): In the staff’s local briefs, we learned about some smart kids (to be said in my best Ben Affleck Good Will Hunting voice). Kelly Bryant and Jonathan Nance were announced as members of the National Football Foundation’s Hampshire Society. Read this article. Look at these GPAs. Wowsers. (more info on MUTigers.com)
- A couple changes for Football in terms of what coaches will be permitted to do as of Monday, per Bruce Feldman:
The NCAA says Division 1 coaches will now be allowed eight hours per week of virtual nonphysical countable activities such as film review, chalk talks and team meetings, starting Monday.— Bruce Feldman (@BruceFeldmanCFB) April 16, 2020
- Coach Drinkwitz posted this pretty cool graphic, which shows how his staff is working to lock down the borders in Missouri.
- If you’re not busy on Saturday night— I know you’re not— you can listen to the 2007 MU-kU game in its entirety on the Tiger Radio Network! Also, Chase Daniel will have another “Chase Chat” today at 1:30pm PT with Gary Pinkel live on Twitter/Facebook.
- PowerMizzou: Gabe and Mitchell teamed up for a new ZOUMCast. This week’s guest was none other than JT Tiller, the 2008-09 BIG XII Defensive Player of the Year!
- Columbia Tribune: Eric Blum wrote a great story about Amber Smith, who is preparing for the WNBA Draft.
- Good memories. Miss you, Reed (wipes tear).
- Welcome, Mama Dembele, who officially signed with the Tigers. (more from MUTigers.com)
Assorted Mizzou Sports News
- Larissa Anderson’s crew is counting down their 10 best memories of the shortened season! At No. 7 is a particularly awesome relief appearance by Eli Daniel. (more from MUTigers.com)
- In honor of National High Five Day, check out some nice moments from the Tiger tumblers.
- Emma Maloney continued her Fast Five baseball series. This time she had a Q&A with sophomore pitcher Andrew Vail.
- Recruiting News: According to the Missourian’s local briefs, the golf team signed Spanish junior champion, Martina Munoz. She sounds pretty damn impressive. Also, the wrestling team signed former Old Dominion commit, Steve Kolcheff. Tigerstyle currently is ranked third in the 2020 recruiting class. Love to see it! (additional reporting by MUTigers.com included)
- Dave Matter hosted his weekly chat at STL Today that you can check out.
- Gabe and Mitchell were back with a new Blowin’ Smoke Presented by Weston Tobacco, where they make mostly nonsensical predictions. This week focused on a few football items, cutting sports programs, and 2021 NCAA hoops predictions.
- Throwback Thursday for Swim & Dive time! In this 2012 memory, the women’s 200 free relay claimed the team’s first ever Big XII relay title.
Interesting/Non-specific Sports News
These are a few of the best stories & tidbits I found regarding some goings-on in sports and beyond that I enjoyed. Shout out to my parents, y’all (hi Mom & Dad) for finding a lot of these for me!
- #MizzouMade Kyle Gibson, as well as Adam Wainwright and Garth Brooks (and some others), have teamed up to provide more than 4 million meals to address childhood hunger. WOW. This is terrific to see.
- Hell yesssss!!! It’s almost time for the premiere of The Last Dance! Michael Jordan sat down with GMA to chat about it. I CANNOT WAIT FOR THIS.
.@ABC NEWS EXCLUSIVE: Michael Jordan talks #TheLastDance docuseries, which gives an inside look at his final NBA title with the Chicago Bulls, premiering Sunday on @ESPN. https://t.co/Z6WhFwgo4p pic.twitter.com/9hSBr9iYoj— Good Morning America (@GMA) April 16, 2020
- WMAR Baltimore reports that the Taneytown Police is reminding its residents to... get this... WEAR PANTS while checking their mailboxes.
- Blast from the past! 20 years ago, the fine sports flick, Love & Basketball, was released in theaters! The Ringer’s new Rewatchables pod featured the film this week, with Bill Simmons and Jemele Hill.
20 years ago today, 'Love & Basketball' was released in theaters and we fell in love with Sanaa Lathan! pic.twitter.com/1wEq00paYE— Ballislife.com (@Ballislife) April 16, 2020
- In the Tampa Bay Times, John Romano wrote that sports are essential only in some bizarro millionaire world.
- Jeff Goodman of Watch Stadium put together an ALL-STAR podcast, aptly titled Good n’ Plenty, featuring WVU coach Bob Huggins (HUGGY BEAR!!), Andy Kennedy (LOVE AK!) and my second favorite Martin— Frank Martin. WOW. What a lineup.
- Buzzfeed presented some ways to successfully fight off boredom.
- This is just really cool. GMA is really putting out some top-notch content right now. Jordan AND trick shots?!?
- In absolutely weird news... here’s a groundhog in Philly who likes pizza.
Move over, pizza rat. A Philadelphia woman found a groundhog outside of her home munching on a piece of pizza for over an hour, completely unfazed by her two dogs. https://t.co/gEmBJydTQ4 pic.twitter.com/T0730yXPbt— ABC7 Eyewitness News (@ABC7) April 15, 2020
- This tweet just made me laugh.
Working-from-home Quin has many leather-bound books. https://t.co/6kIsGmYrKA— Dave Matter (@Dave_Matter) April 17, 2020
- If you’re looking to sign up for ESPN+, Rock M Nation now has an affiliate link: click Here for ESPN+ Now! (** RockMNation has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though RockMNation may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate links.**)