Antar Thompson arrested, suspended
While we’ve been craving an uptick in Missouri Tiger-related news, Monday brought the sort of news you never hope for as a sports fan. Early in the morning, news broke that defensive lineman Antar Thompson had been arrested over the weekend for an incident that took place a few days previously.
The arrest stemmed from an incident last Friday. A University of Missouri Police officer attempted to stop Thompson for a traffic violation, where Thompson failed to stop. Thompson had been stopped 10 minutes prior by another officer for speeding
While the incident doesn’t appear too serious, this is the first real test of Eli Drinkwitz’s disciplinary measures in his time as head coach. Following the Tre Williams saga of last offseason, it’s become standard issue for quieter arrests to be handled in-house before the players are eventually reinstated. However, there’s no telling how Drinkwitz will choose to play this. For the time being, Thompson has been suspended indefinitely, as is program policy.
Thompson hasn’t been a major contributor in his years at Missouri, but had a lot of promise coming to Columbia as a junior college recruit.
We’ll keep an eye out for any developments. Not that we’d miss it — after all, what else is going on nowadays?
More Mizzou Links
- Yesterday, Mizzou was linked to several more basketball transfers, while several other players made their intentions to transfer known. Here are a few of the highlights.
Evansville forward DeAndre Williams has entered his name into the Transfer Portal, his coach tells @RivalsPortal.— Corey Evans (@coreyevans_10) April 20, 2020
Averaged 15.2 points, 6.9 rebounds & 2.7 assists last season
The Evansville to Missouri pipeline — it will be strong!
Gardner-Webb transfer Jose Perez has spoken with Mizzou’s Cuonzo Martin, Georgia Tech’s Josh Pastner, Rhode Island’s David Cox, he told @Stockrisers.— Jake (@jakeweingarten) April 20, 2020
Has been in touch with 30+ programs. More head coaches planning on contacting him. Says mainly associate HC’s have been in touch.
His shooting numbers aren’t great, but he was Gardner-Webb’s primary option with the ball in 20 games last season.
Lincoln Memorial (DII) transfer Courvoisier McCauley has heard from Minnesota, Mizzou, Wake Forest, Texas A&M, South Carolina, DePaul, Georgetown, amongst many others since entering the portal, he told @Stockrisers.— Jake (@jakeweingarten) April 20, 2020
Expect no shortage of suitors for the big-time scorer.
... I got nothing. I’m sure he’s fine!
- Where do y’all stand? Personally, I’m going with 2, 6 and 8.
- Dave Matter continues his Best of Mizzou series by looking at one of the more recent Tiger greats — women's basketball legend Sophie Cunningham.
- PowerMizzou subscribers can check out Gabe’s Monday morning thoughts as well as a breakdown of the Tigers’ 2021 class so far.
- Local RB Taj Butts received an offer from Missouri yesterday, please please please be kind in the comments
- A team that, “quarantines” together, sticks together (wink, wink, JTilly and X!)
Yesterday at Rock M
- NFL Draft Profiles: Offensive Guard Tre’Vour Wallace-Simms
- The Missouri Tigers Legends Draft: Round IX
Generally this is where we deposit the Missouri-related links that don’t fit with the bigger theme. HOWEVER, there are only so many of those to go around these days.
So as long as I’m doing links (Mondays and Tuesdays!) I’ll be posting stuff that’s getting me through this craziness.
- I’m not going to get too detailed on The Last Dance since I haven’t actually seen it yet. But if you’re wanting to consume content related to the ESPN doc, here’s a quick links dump for you: Consequence of Sound’s review; The AV Club’s weekly recap; Bleacher Report’s reaction piece; Vanity Fair’s Jordan vs. Lebron-centric piece.
- The Stan Kroenke Schadenfreude Tour continues!
- If you want to revisit happier days when Michael Porter Jr. was headed to Missouri, you can check out this ESPN article detailing anecdotes from some of the sport’s most dominant prospects over the past few decades.
- If you’re looking forward to a movie — really any movie slated to come out in the future — check out this list of new release dates from major studio films that dropped yesterday.
- If you’re looking to sign up for ESPN+, Rock M Nation now has an affiliate link: click Here for ESPN+ Now! (** RockMNation has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though RockMNation may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate links.**)